No announcement yet.

Canada Lathe Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You’re probably right, just first time machine anxiety. One last couple questions for you if you wouldn’t mind, before I start spending money.

I’m going to pick up the knock off aloris axa quick change post and some tool holders. What size of HSS blanks should I get 3/8” or 1/2” ,I see the diameter on the tool holder is 1/2”.

Comment

Originally posted by Bds60 View Post
      You’re probably right, just first time machine anxiety. One last couple questions for you if you wouldn’t mind, before I start spending money.

I’m going to pick up the knock off aloris axa quick change post and some tool holders. What size of HSS blanks should I get 3/8” or 1/2” ,I see the diameter on the tool holder is 1/2”.
      If your buying in Canada check out Accusize tool posts.

Comment

I did a review a while back on my own Accusize tool post purchase off Amazon.ca. It's a very nice setup and I was highly impressed at the finish and fit of the parts. The ONLY slight minus was the fit of the set screws in the holders. But all the other nicely done fits and finishes more than made up for it to my mind. And the AXA size kit should do you just fine for a CX701.

For your CX701 size lathe which you're going to be patient for you'll find that you're just fine with 3/8 size HSS blanks for a lot of purposes. And if you get lured in by carbide insert tooling the AXA size holders will accept 12mm shank tooling too.

And here's a bit of tooling you will want in short order. It's a drawing for the holder for my dial gauge for zeroing in work in the four jaw chuck I made a while back. One of the "joys" of being a home shop guy is that you will want to ease the financial pain of all the stuff you MUST buy through making some of the other items which you can. it's a great skill builder and it gets you items that would normally cost a lot or which in many cases are the pure domain of the HSM'er. And near as I can tell this sort of thing is one of those items.

This bar fits in an AXA holder and as shown fits and holds all the dial gauges I've got on hand. And for internal bore centering it will hold a dial test indicator (the ones with a little "finger") in the other end when used with the appropriate dovetailed pin fitting.

I thought about making clever and fine looking dedicated tool holders like some online YT machinists have done (Mr Pete for one) but this simple bar holder which can be flipped end for end to use in a wider variety of manners won out for me.

To be fair I did use a reamer for the hole for the dial gauge but if you drill one size under than "ream" it with the proper size it should work out fine.

Speaking of which.... We know you're after a lathe. But what other tools for metal working do you have. It'll be a pretty lonely shop if ALL you have is a lathe, a hacksaw and a couple of files...

Click image for larger version

Name:	dial and DTI lathe mounting bar.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	1941734
        Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040197.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	1941735
        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment