Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I cut this stuff?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Is it cut yet ?

    Comment


    • #17
      Farmed it out to a local shop with a big band saw. Cost $$ but got to get it cut somehow. Didn't have a clue where I could find anyone that had a lathe that could handle 5 1/2" round stock 21 ft long close to me.
      Plain ol Bill

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Plain ol Bill View Post
        ... 5 1/2" round stock 21 ft long close to me.
        Yikes - didn't know the 21' long aspect!

        Comment


        • #19
          Wire EDM.... doesn't everyone own one ?

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Plain ol Bill View Post
            Farmed it out to a local shop with a big band saw. Cost $$ but got to get it cut somehow. Didn't have a clue where I could find anyone that had a lathe that could handle 5 1/2" round stock 21 ft long close to me.
            You failed to mention the fact that it was 21 feet long! Do you have a gas axe? I would have cut off a workable length with the torch and then cleaned it up with a grinder if I didn't have a lathe that could hard turn it.

            Glad you got it cut in the end. I'd be interested to see the final product. And what will you do with the remaining length??

            Comment


            • #21
              I read the oxy cut rotate thing, I do it differently myself, I bottom cut upwards, but it’s how I learned, big rolls and stuff you couldn’t rotate so we’d lift an end on blocks and start under it, the slag, dross etc dropped out of the cut instead of into it which was helpful, same as lancing type of thing, I’d be tempted to take a s petrol cutter to it myself, like sthil or somthing
              mark

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Fasturn View Post
                Wire EDM.... doesn't everyone own one ?
                you have a wire EDM that will fit 21' stock? pics please


                at 21' just getting it to a shop is a chore. I would have torched it or done it with a zip disk
                in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

                Comment


                • #23
                  We have a demolition department and besides the 6 feet long oxy torch, some cutting jobs requires the use of a oxy lance. It starts with a 10 feet long 1/2 inch steel pipe filled inside with 1/8" steel rods tacked together to occupy the inside of the pipe. A ball valve connects to a check valve and oxygen tank. To light the thing, another torch is used to heat the other end till red hot and the oxygen is opened. The resulting reaction is so violent that it will cut almost anything including concrete.
                  It will carry on cutting untill you shut off the oxygen or the pipe is so short that you cant bear the heat
                  Helder Ferreira
                  Setubal, Portugal

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Like this

                     
                    Helder Ferreira
                    Setubal, Portugal

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      The rods in a packed Lance are aluminium, boy do they burn quick, we had them, no one liked them, you’d need to screw one on the end of a plain Lance, just to distance yourself from the thermit reaction, 3/8 was popular, bigges I’ve used, 1”, that’s a 20’ long pipe, like a metal snowstorm
                      mark

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by boslab View Post
                        The rods in a packed Lance are aluminium, boy do they burn quick, we had them, no one liked them, you’d need to screw one on the end of a plain Lance, just to distance yourself from the thermit reaction, 3/8 was popular, bigges I’ve used, 1”, that’s a 20’ long pipe, like a metal snowstorm
                        mark
                        Never seen aluminium. The one our guys use are packed in steel.
                        Helder Ferreira
                        Setubal, Portugal

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Water jet. I don't know if any of the people here have ever tried cutting anything that large with an abrasive wheel but you will most likely end up with a broken cutoff wheel stuck in the piece too. That won't make cutting it any easier either.
                          OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

                          THINK HARDER

                          BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

                          MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by bborr01 View Post
                            Water jet. I don't know if any of the people here have ever tried cutting anything that large with an abrasive wheel but you will most likely end up with a broken cutoff wheel stuck in the piece too. That won't make cutting it any easier either.
                            good point, I confess I have not done so....just thought torch or grinder because they're the most effective wholesale removal implements I've got. I guess I'd be back to the earlier suggestion of grind a ring then bandsaw. Figured the big bolt cutters were out
                            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

                              you have a wire EDM that will fit 21' stock? pics please


                              at 21' just getting it to a shop is a chore. I would have torched it or done it with a zip disk
                              Well that was kind of a joke, but shop I work at before retierment that would be the way. It's hard so a door open and a shop cart / supports and away you go. Wire can be expensive/ machine time, but they had that covered. Sometimes....ya just have to be a Mcgyver Lol.


                              Last edited by Fasturn; 05-09-2021, 02:06 PM.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                My bad.......didnt see the 21' long . Yes that's BiG.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X