I Graduated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Graduated

With a BS in Mechanical Engineering. No retirement for me yet! :P I start my first full time job at a defense contractor in a little under two weeks. Wish me luck!
    21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
    1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Congrats! I know you are glad to have that process over and done with. Good luck with the new job.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Well done! Engineering is great fun as long as you remain curious.

Comment

Give yourself a graduation present.
        An HBM, radial drill, turret lathe, and an upright drill
        sound like a good place to start giving.

-Doozer
        DZER

Comment

No need for luck. Most engineering jobs are massively over-specified and over hyped to get people in who actually have a brain cell. You were probably the only applicant who actually knew what a lathe was let alone had used one, not that it is important as defence work is all about the paperwork. I did 20 years in Defence work where 100 off over 3 years was a massive order then to commercial where 10,000 units a shift was a slow day.

Comment

May you be as happy in your career as I was in mine. I may have had some bosses or customers over 50 years that I didn't really care for but the job has been wonderful.---Brian
            Brian Rupnow
            Design engineer
            Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Good for you! Having the relavent papers and a practical understanding of how mechanical things work is such a big advantage. The toys at home will have to get by with a little less attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave C View Post
                Congrats! I know you are glad to have that process over and done with. Good luck with the new job.
                Thanks! It's actually not a new job per se, I'm just going full time at my current company where I was an intern, more or less.

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                Give yourself a graduation present.
                An HBM, radial drill, turret lathe, and an upright drill
                sound like a good place to start giving.
                Lol. I'm gonna have to pass on those. I'm going to start looking for more completed projects. Maybe a Deckel or something.

Originally posted by Baz View Post
                No need for luck. Most engineering jobs are massively over-specified and over hyped to get people in who actually have a brain cell. You were probably the only applicant who actually knew what a lathe was let alone had used one, not that it is important as defence work is all about the paperwork. I did 20 years in Defence work where 100 off over 3 years was a massive order then to commercial where 10,000 units a shift was a slow day.
                I've actually done a fair bit of machine work as an intern there. But I don't intend to do it a lot. Sucks the fun out of it as a hobby. We're pretty small, probably sub 2k parts processed per year.
                21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Congratulations!
                  I predict that you will do quite well in this curious and rapidly changing world.

Comment

woohoo, congratulations! Definitely worth a pat on the back. Keep in touch with your old profs too, not only do they like hearing success stories but you're also a valuable contact and source of information/ advice for future students. I'm still in touch with one of my undergrad researchers who I worked with in 2016 and recently helped contribute to her getting a job, and I'm still occasionally in contact with my PhD supervisor even though I finished that part of my life nearly 20 years ago (oof, that makes me feel old).

Keep your eyes and ears open for future opportunities to gain other qualifications, like a Masters, especially if you can do one through your employer. They like having more qualified staff and you get paid more/ put on a better promotion track.

Comment

Congrats .
                      I always found that engineers who get their hands dirty far out do the average design or fabrication engineer.
                      Like Brian said , Enjoy the job and have fun.
                      I wouldn't trade my 60 years on the shop floor either.
                      Rich
                      Green Bay, WI

Comment

Congratulations!
                        Remember those parts or machines you design or modify have to be made by somebody. Keep it real.

Comment

Well done! Congratulations, Noah. Best of luck. Hope you have a rewarding and happy career; I know you'll be successful.

Lynn
                          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Very good!!!!

Now get that PE as soon as you can. I assume you took the test already (I didn't bother, which may have saved me from a boring career designing substations for the Powerco!) The PE is optional, and I know a lot of folks who do not bother. In fact, most of my employers did not want a PE.

But it opens options, which is more important now than it was in the past. Back then I could "walk down the street" and get another engineering job, but that probably is not the case any more, different environment, changing fast.
                            CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Congratulations! Getting into Defense is not the easiest thing in the world, it can be very interesting and rewarding. Hoping you have the best of luck --
                              25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Working...
                              X