Concrete bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concrete bench

Someone mentioned a concrete machine bench?

Click image for larger version  Name:	ConcreteBench.jpg Views:	1 Size:	214.9 KB ID:	1941686

I trust this will give an idea of the basic shape of the concrete machine bench.

It now supports a lathe, small shaper, drill press, cold cut saw (and more shavings and chips than I am willing to acknowledge).

Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 05-06-2021, 08:29 PM.

Comment

I noticed right away the lawn mower hanging on the wall, no wheels. In the USA, sometime in the 1960"s we had the "Flymow" There has been several others come and go since. I heard the latest was battery powered, but I can't confirm.

And, I like the concrete bench. Would you do it again?
      I cut it off twice; it's still too short
      Oregon, USA

Comment

The mower is a 'Flymo".

The concrete bench has been a great success and I doubt I will ever need another!

Comment

That is truly amazing. Looks to be rather nicely molded. Did you do this or was it done by someone for you?

For sake of interest and further the data points on my own championing of such options... .just what is the tonnage on your bench? How long have you been using it? And did you use the lathe much on the old stock pedestals before switching to this bench? And if so how much did things improve? And how much steel is in the top?

Perspiring minds need to KNOW THIS STUFF ! ! ! !

I remember the Flymo. Great for flat yards but annoying to use on sloped yards I understand. Silly things keep trying to mow off downhill or if pushing uphill keep trying to veer off to either side.
          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

None of the machines are particular heavy so I doubt there would be even 1500Kgs on top.

The bench was made at a place where they make tilt slabs etc. It did cost a bit but was money well spent. I had it made about 10 years ago. I did not specify the amount of steel but there is no doubt it is quite sturdy. I feel the lathe has been more steady on the bench than on its original steel stands.

The Flymo is really a relic from our previous house which was on a steep slope and the Flymo made a good job of keeping the slope tidy as I could stand at the top and lower it down on a rope.

Comment

I would worry about chipping the edges, and would make a top for it out of 19mm / 3/4" marine plywood.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
                [snip]
                It now supports a lathe, small shaper, ...
                You have a bench top shaper? That's intriguing - you have a picture?

Comment

My 10 inch shaper, was on a fabricated base , with a 3 inch wood top... shaper off would have made a nice bench... oily but nice..
                  shaper weighed about 350 to 400 lbs we figured....

Comment

Is this thread about the bench or the Flymo ??? Seems like it 50-50.

I like the bench ! Is it smooth and free of pin holes ?

I remember the Flymo, remember the commercials too and remember seeing a few of them on the curb on trash night. I was going to grab one but figured if someone was tossing it in new condition must be they didn't like it.

JL..............

Comment

I was a kid when they were popular. But over the years I've run into folks that hated them and folks that wish that they were still made. Partly I suspect that folks just never adapted to the different way of handling that is needed. And perhaps partly that I'm not sure how one would alter the height of the cut. Bodger? Can you shed any light on that aspect? It's been about 20 years since I even heard the "Flymo" name.
                      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Concrete bench, or at least top, is in the plans here, assuming I do not find a large enough piece of 80 lb plate steel, which would do as well or better. If / when I do that, I will be sure to post about it.

The Flymo? A good way to trim your toenails, and some more of your body. A "techie" idea, not maybe so practical in reality. These days, if sold, they would have a forced recall of every one of them due to the hazards, and the general lack of good sense among people.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                          I would worry about chipping the edges, and would make a top for it out of 19mm / 3/4" marine plywood.
                          There are of course a few chips but they are somewhat avoided by having the edges well rounded.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

You have a bench top shaper? That's intriguing - you have a picture?

Adept II, coffee table shaper.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                              Is this thread about the bench or the Flymo ??? Seems like it 50-50.

I like the bench ! Is it smooth and free of pin holes ?

I remember the Flymo, remember the commercials too and remember seeing a few of them on the curb on trash night. I was going to grab one but figured if someone was tossing it in new condition must be they didn't like it.

JL..............
                              The bench was professionally cast and is well compacted and smooth finished. No pin holes and oil wipes easily off the epoxy paint.

Flymo's have a short life if used to mow gravel as the blade is quite light weight.
                              Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 05-07-2021, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X