TIG Welder Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIG Welder Question

I need a TIG (OK, I WANT a TIG) welder and have decided on the Thermal Arc Pro-Wave 185TSW. However, I do have a few questions about this impending purchase.

First, have any of you ever used this unit and how do you like it?

Second, is it worth the approximately $1,800 it costs?

Third, how is the customer service with Thermal Arc?

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, can I get by with hooking this thing up to a generator that puts out less than the rated imput amperage if I keep the tig welding down in the lower ranges? Its going to take me a while to rewire my garage and I'd like to use this thing before that's finished.

Any and all comments are welcome. THANKS!

tony,
    Everyone at www.shopfloortalk.com and www.hobartwelders.com who owns one of these thinks they are really great machines. I've yet to read a negative review outside of salesreps who pimp other brands.

Comment

Inverters are small!!

That machine looks really well set up. 42 pounds...sheesh. I think my Miller Tig 180SD weighs about 300 pounds. That machine you are looking at has some really nice features and looks to have anything you would need. IT has some higher end features than my Miller has. I would bet you will be fine with it. If you havent had a TIG in your shop before be aware of what sort of odd things High Freq fields can do to eletronics.

As for running it off of a genset you should be fine. Many of the new machines have eletronics to compensate for "dirty" input voltage and frequency. As long as the generator has the output to handle arc start most likely it will run it on low amp welding. My Miller is a power hog and wants gobs of juice. Inverters are far more friendly in that respect and don't want the 60-100 amps that the traditional Tig machines want.

Cheers
      -Bill
      Last edited by motorcyclemac; 04-19-2006, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input, Guys!

Anyone else have anything else to add before I purchase?

Comment

Originally posted by tonydacrow
          I need a TIG (OK, I WANT a TIG) welder and have decided on the Thermal Arc Pro-Wave 185TSW. However, I do have a few questions about this impending purchase.

First, have any of you ever used this unit and how do you like it?

Second, is it worth the approximately $1,800 it costs?

Third, how is the customer service with Thermal Arc? THANKS!
          I have one and love it, mostly for the weight difference!
          It's worth $1800, but you can get it for $1705 delivered to your door from:
          http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.co...let/StoreFront

I've had no reason to call on my 185 yet, but I have called for info on another TA product I own and they were pretty responsive.

Kiv

Comment

Tig inverter

You should be aware welding alum. with a DC Tig HARD to do! If you are going to do Alumnium and or thin gage DO get AC with control pedal/thumb slider! All the major brands sell AC/DC Tig packages for around that price now.

Mark61

Comment

First, THANKS again for all the responses. It was very helpfull.

I bit the bullet and went ahead and bought the unit, yesterday. Now I just have to clean the garage to find a place for it before it gets here. (Good thing it's so small.)

Mark, the neat thing about this inverter is that it contains AC as well as DC capabilities. It also does pulse TIG, slope, spot and other stuff that until a few years ago required a machine that was several hundred pounds and 2 - 4 times more expensive. God I love progress! 30 amps at 230 volts, a bottle of argon and I'm good to go with up to 185 amps of TIG welding POWER!

Now I just have to figure-out how to eat and pay the mortgage this month...

Comment

Well, I just got the package and am very impressed. Unfortunately, I have to go on vacation starting tomorrow or the wife will hurt me very, very much. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll post pics when I come back so you can see what it comes with...

Comment

Working...
                X