Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Square inside, round outside steel stock for toolholder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Square inside, round outside steel stock for toolholder.

Hello Gurus. Years ago there was a discussion here on making a toolholder in a solid rod so it could hold a carbide tipped lathe bit. The stock for making the square hole in the rod was called something i can't remember and the place it was available has also escaped me. So basically i want to weld in the rod into a hole drilled into the 1" solid rod and insert a bit to clean up a thrust bearing surface on a engine block. Kind of feel like i handed you guys a puzzle Hydro

Welcome to the forum. You will find many here that are eager and willing to help. You will need to participate by helping, too. Some more detailed information about what you're trying to do will be necessary.

To start; What sort of tools and tooling do you have, or have access to. Can you describe more specifically what you need to accomplish. From your initial description it sounds like you want to spot face a surface. What are the diameters involved, and where are they located, ie flush with a top surface or down in a recessed cavity? What materials are you working with?

Comment

https://www.reidsupply.com/en-us/p/machine-tool-sleeves

Is this what you are looking for ?
      Square Hole Sleeve.
      Beaver County Alberta Canada

Comment

Hello again. Been a visitor since the 90's or early 2000's. The new site looks nice . I have a SB heavy ten and a bridgeport mill. Both 1980. I just put a 4" riser on the bridgeport for some engine projects so i don't have to use short drill bits. It currently doesn't have a DRO but i have a new unit for it just not installed yet. I have cmmt insert tooling for the lathe on Aloris QC toolholders the mill has standard R8 collets and chucks i have various indexers and rotary table also. So i want to make a thrust washer cleanup tool for old BMC A series engine blocks i want to do this by clamping a couple of 2" OD bearings(1" ID) in the main caps and using a 1" ground steel bar with the toolholder in it just kiss the side of the engine block to fresh metal i will then use a .015 thicker thrust washer to bring the crankshaft back into tolerance. There was discussion about this before and a guy showed this stock he purchased from Grainger or MSC that was like .5 round outside and 1/4 square inside to make his inside boring bars. But like i said before i don't know what its called and or where he got it. Hydro
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by redlee View Post
          https://www.reidsupply.com/en-us/p/machine-tool-sleeves

Is this what you are looking for ?
          Square Hole Sleeve.
          Nailed it!

Comment

You can turn the tool bit shank round as an alternative to avoid the need for a square hole.

Comment

Yep, I've been looking for those for years. Got desperate one day and put my square bit into a round hole. The set screw holds it from the side and it works just fine with the round hole. That's my biggest boring bar now, 3/4 dia x 10" long. Hope this helps. South Bend 9a here.
              25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Got desperate one day and put my square bit into a round hole.
                After several times with no broach or fancier tools available, tediously filing out a round hole to be square for a tool bit, I finally caught on to this. I did file the corners out a little, but 99% less effort than making a truly square hole, and has worked fine so far.
                "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post

After several times with no broach or fancier tools available, tediously filing out a round hole to be square for a tool bit, I finally caught on to this. I did file the corners out a little, but 99% less effort than making a truly square hole, and has worked fine so far.
                  Yup, I didn't even do that. My boring bar had a round hole thru it, with a set screw in the end of it to hold the bit. I simply measured my HSS from corner-to-corner and drilled the hole thru to suit that. It's been working fine ever since, saved me a lot of hair pulling. Not that I have much left.

Comment

Also known as a Sturdy Bushing. Made by the Sturdy broaching company.
                    I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                    Oregon, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post
                      I just found them on Amazon, about $12 each.

Comment

look for "square hole sleeves". some are free machining (non-weldable), some are hardened (same).

Comment

If it's on the end you cam mill a slot and then silver solder or weld a piece in to fill out the square shape.

Comment

Tubal Cain (Mr Pete) recently posted a video on YouTube on how to make a square hole in a round bar. Looks simple enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post
                              Now you tell me Just made a couple a few weeks ago. For $12 not worth making
                              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X