X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Lathe and Mill

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/e...rce=ios_social
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/e...rce=ios_social

Hey gents, just stumbled across this on my frequent kijiji search for machining tools. For 4000 CAD would you personally purchase this equipment?

1100 RPM in high gear seams awfully low...

Originally posted by Bds60 View Post
    ...For 4000 CAD would you personally purchase this equipment?...
    Not a chance.
    12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
    Index "Super 55" mill
    18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
    7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
    24" State disc sander

Comment

That's high for the lathe even in the machine wasteland of Alberta. But it's a lot more solid machine than the CX701 and it comes with a full proper quick change gear box. If you could talk them down or you show up and it turns out that there's a bunch of extras more than what is suggested it might be an option.

Assuming that's a 4" milling vise on the mill that is a pretty darn small mill. Sure it has the nice DRO but even for the 10x28 CX701 I'd call this a smaller mill than what would be a nice match for the lathe. A better match for the CX701 or even that Tida lathe would be more along the lines of the CX601 or CX611. Table size is nice but the more important key element on a mill is room between spindle nose and table to give you room for bulkier and taller setups. Machinists do not live by milling vises alone. The day will come where you want to use a good size angle plate to hold something vertically and then you'll appreciate the table to spindle nose room.

So I'd let the mill pass simply on size. It looks like it should be paired up with a mini lathe or perhaps something like that dainty and too light Modern.
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

no idea about the lathe. the dro must have cost more than the mill. depends if you really need it. depends on what you will be doing. i would not expect larger endmills than 6mm to work well. does it at least have good table locks?

Comment

Although back ordered, and on late summer delivery, a PM 10x30 with variable speed and DRO is $2,999 USD new. Maybe the availability is part of the price consideration, but that is offset by any potential wear or damage issues. Believe that Tida is a Taiwanese firm but who knows where these were actually made.
          S E Michigan

Comment

On second thought, if I were looking for a lathe and wanted it fairly soon, I think I'd consider this lathe. Supposedly in "excellent" condition, low use, and with some tooling, $2500 might be the max. However, not unless I could inspect it and see it run myself first. Shipping and any other charges would have to be considered.
            S E Michigan

Comment

Is it just me or has the price of used stuff ramped up a lot?

The "Tida" is made in Taiwan so might be better than the usual dross, but still, I'm with EZ, I'd price the used China stuff at 5-15% of its new price, just like British/Swiss/German/Japan/American/Canadian made machines
              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Up my way we're looking at a 1.21 conversion factor for things out of the US. So PM's 10x30 $3000USD ends up being $3630 even before shipping and any customs brokerage fees that the shipper wants to charge. It could easily end up at $4k. It's not a great time for those of us north of the 49th to be buying out of the US. Although with supplies from Busy Bee being low it could be an option. Depends on how long the wait will be.
                Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                  Is it just me or has the price of used stuff ramped up a lot?

The "Tida" is made in Taiwan so might be better than the usual dross, but still, I'm with EZ, I'd price the used China stuff at 5-15% of its new price, just like British/Swiss/German/Japan/American/Canadian made machines
                  Yup it’s absolutely ridiculous, supply and demand I guess... People are buying these used machines up quickly. Bad time to enter the hobby I suppose. Here in Alberta, local steel prices have over doubled, the price of wood has quadrupled. Bad time to buy anything really.

Comment

The lathe wouldn't be too bad at $2k, though it doesn't seem to come with much tooling (no steady?). Those belt head taiwanese lathes are generally well regarded.

Seems a bit steep for the mill though, looks like a G0704 clone. Then again you see them pop up occasionally for sale around here (also a bit of a hobby machine desert) usually by people who wanted to get into the hobby, didn't use it much and then wants to sell it for 90% of the new price.

Comment

I passed on the lathe, my lowball over 4000 for both the lathe and mill wasn’t accepted (thankfully). Maybe something else will come up before busybee has inventory. No point into rushing into the hobby just to pay a premium in this “bubble”.

Comment

If you're looking at committing to both machines you might consider buying the mill while waiting on the lathe. There's a lot to learn on both sides of the machine shop coin of "round" vs "flat" things. And a good number of milling accessories you can make while waiting on re-stocking of the lathes at dealers. And making all those little things not only saves you money but also teaches you a lot.
                        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Found this gem just now , can anyone help identify it?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/c...rce=ios_social

Comment

Unsubscribed.
                            12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
                            Index "Super 55" mill
                            18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
                            7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
                            24" State disc sander

Comment

It's moot now. Both are ***Pending**
                              Peter
                              Grantham, New Hampshire