Project: Building the MLA-18 Filing Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

In the picture below, see the cone-shaped "hat" thing under the table? That has a set screw going radially into it. 1/2 of the tool holder is milled away so it looks like a half-pipe. The hat slides over that and the tang of the file fits inside the pipe part. The set screw holds it all together... its an amazingly strong setup. The screw is bearing against the file and shoving it into the half-pipe shape on the end of the tool holder, over the full 1-inch length of the tang.

Click image for larger version Name:	mla18-file-holder.jpg Views:	0 Size:	597.4 KB ID:	1950789
    Thanks for the explanation, but I don't understand. Do you have any photos which show the file mounting.
    12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
    Index "Super 55" mill
    18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
    7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
    24" State disc sander

Comment

• beautiful work NCF, looks good enough to put it on your mantelpiece for display! I'm sure you're very happy with how it came out.

Comment

• Originally posted by ezduzit View Post

Thanks for the explanation, but I don't understand. Do you have any photos which show the file mounting.
        Here, it's the same pic with arrows and labels.
        Click on it to get the full 1600x1200 and a close-up of the set screw.
        The tang is going thru the "hat" clamp into the "half-pipe" shaped end of the tool holder shaft.
        The set screw on the hat clamp holds it all together.
        ID of the hat clamp is the same as the OD of the shaft.

Click image for larger version  Name:	mla18-file-holder-annotated.jpg Views:	0 Size:	296.9 KB ID:	1950797

Further explanation, quoting from post #49:
        "The drawings call for the tool holder to be made of drill rod, so a cut off a piece of 1/2" (12mm) type 0-1 round a bit over length and cleaned up the ends. I center drilled and then drilled the ends with a 1/4" (6mm) drill; one end gets about 1" (25mm) deep, the other end gets a bit over 3" (75mm) deep. The end with the 3" deep hole gets a 1/8" (3mm) cross-hole drilled to intersect.

This is to relieve air pressure and provide an "oil pumping" effect while the unit is working. The end with the 1" deep hole is the part that holds the files, in conjunction with the "hat" made earlier. This requires a 1/2 dia. relief about 3/4" (20mm) long. I did this cut with a die grinder mounted in the tool post. The entire setup was available (new) via eBay, and it did an excellent job. First pic shows the finished assembly, second pic shows the relieving setup:"

Click image for larger version  Name:	mla18-33.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.13 MB ID:	1950801

Click image for larger version  Name:	mla18-32.jpg Views:	0 Size:	659.3 KB ID:	1950802
        Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 07-10-2021, 05:16 PM. Reason: clarity
        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

• Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
          beautiful work NCF, looks good enough to put it on your mantelpiece for display! I'm sure you're very happy with how it came out.
          Thanks! I'm sure it'll be good for a lifetime of use.
          Next step is to get some sort of drive system.
          Gonna use the mini-lathe motor and a flat belt setup.

Comment

• Thanks. Guess what isn't clear/shown--I must presume the tang of the file is round?
            12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
            Index "Super 55" mill
            18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
            7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
            24" State disc sander

Comment

• Originally posted by ezduzit View Post
              Thanks. Guess what isn't clear/shown--I must presume the tang of the file is round?
              Yep, the tang is round. 1/4" dia by about an inch long. Made for machine filing, but the instructions show how to convert a regular file.

Comment

• A small update: the filing machine is nice and tight -- not a drop of oil leaked out anywhere overnight. You could eat off this thing. Currently setting up for an easy job, making the motor pulley. Starting with some 1" hot-rolled A36, planning on a flat belt pulley of around .700 (say 18mm) with a bore of .312 (5/16) and a 10-32 set screw. The motor shaft measures out at exactly .312, so that should work. The motor was originally for a belt-drive application, so I'm not too concerned about side loads or radial loads on it.

Comment

• Motor pulley. I'm planning on a 3/4 x about 20-25 inch flat belt, so the pulley is 1" wide, 0,700 dia.
                  Still needs the hole drilled, and the set screw.
                  Parent stock is 1" hot rolled (cheap, effective)

Click image for larger version

Name:	motor-pulley.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	783.9 KB
ID:	1951015

Comment

• Motor and pulley together.
                    The motor is about 4 inches (100 mm) diameter and 6 inches (150mm) long.
                    Universal type with brushes, can be AC or DC.
                    Says 3/4 HP at 5,000 RPM at 110V.
                    Yes there will be a PWM speed controller.

The motor will get a coat of semi-gloss inner fender black paint.
                    I've figured out a way to mount it by the end bell screws.

Comment

• Yep, I'm still working on this after taking a week off.
                      Just ordered a belt for it, 6PK620
                      means that its a 6-rib poly-vee belt, 620 mm long.
                      20m wide, 4mm thick, reinforced.
                      Fits 2006 Nissan 1,8L

Using an old wooden tool box for a base,
                      Need to drill and cut holes for mountings.
                      Downloaded the schematic for the original application mini-lathe.
                      Need to make the motor mounts.

Comment

• Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                        Yep, I'm still working on this after taking a week off.
                        My parts are still in a box under the bench!
                        Can I use fighting with a 3D printer during an unusually humid summer as an excuse? Sure, I'll take it

Comment

• Well, the belt arrived in the mail yesterday.
                          I've got a bad case of "lazyitis" at the moment though,
                          so it'll probably be tomorrow or next week before anything really progresses.

Comment

Working...
                          X