No announcement yet.

Project: Building the MLA-18 Filing Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I am back from the Covid testing. I was in a really foul mood this AM, they scheduled it all the way down south at the bottom of County Erie. On a Sunday Morning. In a disused Sears auto center. With no signs on the building. In 85F (29C) weather. And not much sleep before.

I wondered why they didn't have a sign at the door, "Beware of leopard"

I finally got my setup fixed and dialed in, I feel much better about it now. Using a pair of thin parallels to hold the already-machined rim off the face plate with the draw bar. Using a neutral CCGT cutter (that I normally use for chamfering) and a "normal" feed rate. In spindle reverse, feeding from the rear. Setup feels very solid, going good.

Click image for larger version  Name:	mla18-50.jpg Views:	65 Size:	681.8 KB ID:	1945698

Click image for larger version  Name:	mla18-51.jpg Views:	64 Size:	574.7 KB ID:	1945699

I'm having two different surgeries later this week, so things may be kinda spotty for a while.
    And today I just can't get into it for some reason. Can't go back to sleep, either.
    Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 06-08-2021, 04:41 PM.
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

It's time for the next setup on the work table.
      One of the things I've learned in life is "how to accept gifts".
      In this case, the gift is that the difference between my face-plate and the work table is almost exactly 1-1/4" (1.250 or say 32mm)
      This means I can measure 5/8 (,625 or 16mm) all the way around and the two will be concentric (mostly, well enough).
      So I'll do what any self-respecting machinist would do, and tack them together with crazy-glue.

The point of all this is, to bore out the central hole where the tools (files) will go.
      There is no guarantee that the current threaded hole is central.
      It needs to be central, and large enough.
      It needs to have a taper, like a cone, to accommodate any tilt in the table.

Click image for larger version  Name:	mla18-52.jpg Views:	1 Size:	840.4 KB ID:	1945874

To make alignment easier, I paid a visit to my favorite pair of calipers, from the wrong side of town.
      You'd be amazed how useful they can be sometimes, they see plenty of use in my shop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mla18-53.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	1945876
      Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 06-07-2021, 03:01 PM. Reason: more info, better pic (gamma)

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
        looks like you're making great progress. Must have been slightly nervewracking to have that casting swinging around, even at 50rpm.
        A good indication that the spindle speed is to high is when the lathe begins to walk across the floor (-:

5" shaft 72" long, 400 Lbs, 250 rpms
        https://bented.smugmug.com/My-First-Gallery/i-2f65r5S/A

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post

A good indication that the spindle speed is to high is when the lathe begins to walk across the floor (-:

5" shaft 72" long, 400 Lbs, 250 rpms
          https://bented.smugmug.com/My-First-Gallery/i-2f65r5S/A
          YIKES!! I would have had the RPM's down to around 100 or so. Dats a lotta mass....

Comment

OK, making good progress on the work table.
            First pic is an in-process of the conical boring, second pic is the finished job.
            The crazy-glue did perfectly - two taps with a lead brick and it popped off the face plate.
            Next step will be to face and drill/tap the two bosses shown, for the mounting legs.
            That setup will take some thinking.

Name:	mla18-54.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	770.4 KB
ID:	1945907

Name:	mla18-55.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	857.7 KB
ID:	1945908

Comment

Wow over 2,000 views! I wonder who's doing all the viewing? But so few comments...

Anyway, back at it with weird setups. Stuff I'm not necessarily comfortable with, but it works.
              The two lugs cast on the bottom of the work table are for mounting on the machine;
              they need to be faced off, drilled and tapped.
              The faces need to be 4 inches (100mm) apart. And they very much need to be parallel.
              The center hole of the table needs to be centered between them.
              This is one of those tasks that would definitely be easier with a mill.

I made a stud to screw into my dovetail plug on the lathe.
              This will go thru the central hole in the table and clamp it against the cross slide,
              using whatever riser blocks are needed.
              Facing is done with a 5/8 carbide end mill held in the ER32 collet chuck.

Click image for larger version  Name:	mla18-56.jpg Views:	0 Size:	778.5 KB ID:	1946036

Click image for larger version  Name:	mla18-57.jpg Views:	0 Size:	696.3 KB ID:	1946037

Click image for larger version  Name:	mla18-58.jpg Views:	0 Size:	691.6 KB ID:	1946038
              Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 06-08-2021, 03:21 PM. Reason: line break readability

Comment

😀 Those funny hermaphrodite calipers are great for castings

Comment

Originally posted by Galaxie View Post
                  😀 Those funny hermaphrodite calipers are great for castings
                  Just curious about what part of Northern Wisconsin you're in, and how is it? I've been wondering about retiring up that way in about 20 yrs. Fell in love with northern Iowa when I was visiting out there.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

YIKES!! I would have had the RPM's down to around 100 or so. Dats a lotta mass....
                    Difficult to get a decent finish if the SFM is to slow, also a very low cut speed is tough on tooling.
                    A 20,000 lb. lathe is unaffected by an unbalanced 400 lb. part at such a low speed, it did not even vibrate or shake, it did not cause ripples in the coolant on the ways

I make 1 or 2 of these parts per year now, next time I will wick up the speed to the next geared RPM of 360.
                    Last edited by Bented; 06-08-2021, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post

Difficult to get a decent finish if the SFM is to slow, also a very low cut speed is tough on tooling.
                      A 20,000 lb. lathe is unaffected by an unbalanced 400 lb. part at such a low speed, it did not even vibrate or shake, it did not cause ripples in the coolant on the ways

I make 1 or 2 of these parts per year now, next time I will wick up the speed to the next geared RPM of 360.
                      Yeah if the lathe is that heavy it won't care. I use ground inserts (for aluminum) instead of molded ones (for steel), finish is good regardless of RPM. For me anyway the feed rate makes a bigger difference probably because the tips are so sharp.

Comment

Okay, about the few comments..... Guilty as charged! Every time I see a new post with photos, I say to myself, " well this is going nicely! " and, " I'm glad he's taking the time to make this build thread ". I think some of us fall into not replying often enough. In my own case, I really like build threads, and I promise to post some of my own. It's like returning the favor! But my current "build" is an extensive remodel of my home. Extensive off topic. But, I'll get around to it. Thanks for your time and effort!
                        I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                        Oregon, USA

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Just curious about what part of Northern Wisconsin you're in, and how is it? I've been wondering about retiring up that way in about 20 yrs. Fell in love with northern Iowa when I was visiting out there.
                          I'm in the Merrill/Wausau area. I haven't lived anywhere else so I guess I don't really have anything to gauge it by. We have some beautiful scenery; it's not as flat as the parts of Iowa I've been in!

Just about anything one could want is only a half hour drive away. Due to the interstate and meth trafficking, Wausau proper has more crime than one would think though.

My cousin is a realtor here, and from what I've been told, the market has been good to her. Farm land and woods have been going up in price, although there are still some deals to be had.

Pro tip: Don't move downwind of a cattle farm or a paper mill. 😉
                          Last edited by Galaxie; 06-08-2021, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Can't be worse than where I'm at now, in one of the cancer/EPA capitals of the country. One mile from Love Canal, downwind of 5 chemical plants, in an abandoned ghetto (80% of the town has moved away since Reagan). The crack heads were stealing the sewer lids when i moved here (rent is cheap)

Originally posted by Galaxie View Post
                            I'm in the Merrill/Wausau area. I haven't lived anywhere else so I guess I don't really have anything to gauge it by. We have some beautiful scenery; it's not as flat as the parts of Iowa I've been in!

Just about anything one could want is only a half hour drive away. Due to the interstate and meth trafficking, Wausau proper has more crime than one would think though.

My cousin is a realtor here, and from what I've been told, the market has been good to her. Farm land and woods have been going up in price, although there are still some deals to be had.

Pro tip: Don't move downwind of a cattle farm or a paper mill. 😉

Comment

I am curious to see how you do the hole and avoid the tool (drill?) walking when entering the second lug after drilling the first. How do you plan to get the two lug holes aligned?

Aside: People moan and groan about California where I live, but it's too expensive for meth-heads, cattle farms, and paper mills, so we mostly don't have the associated downsides. On the other hand, the expense, in combination with a climate that makes outdoor living feasible, drives homelessness.

Comment

Originally posted by rklopp View Post
                                I am curious to see how you do the hole and avoid the tool (drill?) walking when entering the second lug after drilling the first. How do you plan to get the two lug holes aligned?

Aside: People moan and groan about California where I live, but it's too expensive for meth-heads, cattle farms, and paper mills, so we mostly don't have the associated downsides. On the other hand, the expense, in combination with a climate that makes outdoor living feasible, drives homelessness.
                                Plan is not to drill thru both in one setting. I had to think about it.... If I do the layout on the surface plate with the height gauge, it should be OK since the shape is a circle. So the marks will come out the same on both sides if I mark from the OD. As far as not wandering etc. I'll start the holes with the center drill. The mounting lugs bolt onto 3" long bars, so there is *some* flexibility for "oops", but not much.

My brother lives in Fremont (works in IT) and even as a NY'er I find Cali expensive... NY is bad but at least it's not insane (yet). Our homeless program is called "winter". As in, get a place to stay, or freeze to death in February. It's common to have -20 temps for a few weeks with 86% humidity and snow up to your butt.... welcome to Buffalo, have some wings! Stay because you can't find your car under the snow!

It is currently sunny, 86F (29C) and steaming humid. Farmers are already starting on their second crop of hay. Nice thing about this area: my water bill for the year is less than $200. A decent house is $150k, and you can get rich on the same amount around here. Taxes will eat you alive in NY though.
                                Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 06-09-2021, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X