No announcement yet.

Project: Building the MLA-18 Filing Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPDATE: Things are gonna slow down some from here on out, folks. Having a minor preparatory procedure tomorrow AM, and then a major surgery on Friday. Outpatient deal, that will last 4 or 5 hrs, will be spending the weekend elsewhere. I'll probably be reading the forum but won't be at my computer or my shop for a couple days.
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

EDIT it'll probably be next week before I do much with this project again. It's not my first round of surgery, unfortunately. I'm hoping that things are almost done, there is a quarter million $$ in my skull now. Maybe in 4,000 yrs some archaeologist will find it and think we had some weird religion.

Comment

Best wishes and hang in there!

Comment

Wow over 2,000 views! I wonder who's doing all the viewing? But so few comments...
          It's a me. Sorry. I've been following but not taken the time to examine closely enough to have a totally coherent idea of what is going on. But I must say I'm very impressed with your setups and determination to get everything done with a 9" SB!

Good luck on you surgery, I hope it all goes smoothly.
          21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
          1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Sorry I’ve been watching thread but not commenting,Good Luck with your surgery!

Comment

Counting down, about 6 more hrs to go... no eating, only water until midnite

Comment

Good thoughts coming your way! Stay positive!
                I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                Oregon, USA

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

The proprietor is Andy Lofquist, and he is good to deal with -- very straightforward, honest, and helpful. I also ordered his kit for the boring and facing head, http://mlatoolbox.com/MLA-7.html.
                  I looked at his website and saw something that might have been adaptable to my lathe... So I sent Andy an email containing a drawing with the dimensions of the mating part on my lathe and asked if his casting could be adapted. He sent a snail-mail with a paper cross sectional drawing of the casting as received, with dimensions. Unfortunately I can't adapt his part to my lathe.

I was impressed that he went out of his way to send me a paper cross sectional drawing so I could make the decision myself. Customer service like that is more and more rare. So, I'll give him a shout out to say "thanks".

Comment

Post op selfie, I look and feel like crap, little aches and pains all over. I know they must have had one of those cheap universal radiator hoses shoved down my throat, the kind with all the ridges. Slowly getting steadier and stronger. About a 3hr op to remove an infected implant. They will have to replace it with a new one in a few months. Meanwhile there is a picc line (a permanent hose) up a vein in my arm going into my heart for the antibiotics. I've been saving the syringes to make precision oilers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210613_143506_1.jpg Views:	109 Size:	569.1 KB ID:	1946878
                    Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 06-23-2021, 11:42 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Hope recovery goes smooth & speedy to be ready for your new implant, you must have some farmer in you repurposing those syringes!

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
                        Hope recovery goes smooth & speedy to be ready for your new implant, you must have some farmer in you repurposing those syringes!
                        LOL yep farmer and mechanic

Comment

Wow it feels good to be back at it again! I have to be careful not to get my IV hose wrapped around the lead screw...

Continuing where we left off on the work table, the two cast-in lugs needed to be faced off, drilled, and tapped for 3/8-16 (say 10mm).
                          It was pretty easy to do the marking out, just for a sanity check.
                          The table is mounted on two legs when the machine is assembled, that's what this is all about.
                          First up I removed the top slide once again and bolted the table in its place.
                          Then used a MT blank in the tail stock to square things up to the spindle:

Click image for larger version  Name:	mla18-59.jpg Views:	0 Size:	818.6 KB ID:	1947239

Spot drilled, drilled 3/16 and then 5/16 to tap 3/8-16.
                          This is why it's super handy to have a drill chuck on a Morse taper to fit your spindle ID.

Click image for larger version  Name:	mla18-60.jpg Views:	0 Size:	706.5 KB ID:	1947240

In the same setup, use the drill chuck to get the tap started nice and square to the work:

Click image for larger version  Name:	mla18-61.jpg Views:	0 Size:	736.8 KB ID:	1947241

And finish it out with the tap wrench.
                          I had to use the T-wrench because the bigger wrench wouldn't clear the ways.

Click image for larger version  Name:	mla18-62.jpg Views:	0 Size:	762.4 KB ID:	1947242

In aligning the work for the other hole, I can simply thread a 3/8 bolt into the existing hole
                          and grab the other end of the bolt in the tail stock drill chuck.
                          This will give me "good enough" alignment for the mating parts.
                          Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 06-15-2021, 08:42 PM. Reason: typos, humor, clarity

Comment

I did not realize those would be threaded holes. Those are a little more forgiving of misalignment than close-fitting holes on rods, which is what I thought you were dealing with. (Actually, I first thought you were dealing with a continuous round rod spanning both lugs, but realized that was a dumb idea, because the file rod would have to go right through the middle of it.)

Glad to see you are back on your feet, but be careful mixing medical stuff and shop stuff.

Comment

Here's a photo illustrating what I mean by aligning the holes with a threaded rod held in the tail stock drill chuck:

Click image for larger version

Name:	mla18-63.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	840.9 KB
ID:	1947248

It's just some 3/8 (10mm) hot roll, threaded into the existing hole that I just did.
                              Figure the tail stock and the spindle are pretty close alignment by themselves,
                              so anything I line up off that relationship will be good.

Comment

Originally posted by rklopp View Post
                                Glad to see you are back on your feet, but be careful mixing medical stuff and shop stuff.
                                It feels good to be back at it, but definitely gotta be careful with the pain killers. Thankfully I'm able to wean myself off of those pretty easily.

Comment

Working...
                                X