No announcement yet.

Project: Building the MLA-18 Filing Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heh, My Logan is older than that, but it is not a museum piece..... it's a tool. Same for the mills, and the Rivett 608 that is about halfway through restoration.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

• My Logan wasn't a museum piece either.

12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
      Index "Super 55" mill
      18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
      7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
      24" State disc sander

Comment

• OK, today I got luckier still: I found my unused can of Glyptal !

In case you're wondering what that is, its a special kind of electrical insulating varninsh that they use to coat electric motor windings and transformer cores. Class F rated, almost indestructible. And *cough**EXPENSIVE*cough*

Really good stuff, I like to use it on raw cast iron like the insides of engines.
        Once applied it never comes off except via grinding or shot-blasting.
        It totally seals castings, eliminating oil absorption and loose crap floating around.
        Hot rodders have been doing this for decades to aid oil drainage because it dries very smooth and hard.
        And it's impervious to most things.

I intend to paint at least the inside of the machine with it. Maybe even the whole thing.
        Dunno if I'll get to it tonight, or tomorrow.
        Still gotta smooth up some rough spots on the parting lines first.
        Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 06-25-2021, 05:01 PM.
        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

• Glyptal is great stuff, I use it on the insides of gearboxes and hydraulic tanks at work and ya, it's eye watering expensive. Last job I used it on took a 5 gallon pail ($460) OMG

Your die filer job is looking great BTW!
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
            Glyptal is great stuff, I use it on the insides of gearboxes and hydraulic tanks at work and ya, it's eye watering expensive. Last job I used it on took a 5 gallon pail ($460) OMG

Your die filer job is looking great BTW!
            OUCH! I have the generic red primer kind in a spray can. That can was $18, but the hazmat shipping fees were another $40.... I bought it a few years ago when I rebuilt my welder. Hey, thanks for the comment!

Comment

• It's amazing what you can get away with when you're single. My washing machine doubles as a paint stand and grinding station. Figure the washer doesn't care what color it is - the filing machine looks great!

Comment

• Darn.
                I have a screw-up to fix -- and its one that I was most afraid of.
                The top and bottom bores of the tool holder shank do not line up nearly well enough.
                While the varnish dried, I had machined a length of bar exactly to 0,875 to check the bearing alignment.
                No bueno -- visibly out by something like 100 thou (nearly 3mm). Radially.

Thankfully, I have enough oversize of the bronze bearing stock,
                that I can open up the bottom hole and re-do it to suit the top hole.
                The OD of the bronze bearings will definitely be different
                but that doesn't matter as long as the central holes through them align.

I can use the test bar I just turned up, to crazy-glue it into the top bore
                and use a test indicator off of that to center it
                then re-bore.
                It should work OK because the test bar is an extremely close fit --
                it requires a gentle push to get into the bore, but it does move freely.

Bummer.

I'm gonna go eat and go to bed.
                Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 06-26-2021, 10:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                  ...The top and bottom bores of the tool holder shank do not line up...visibly out by something like 100 thou...
                  How did that happen? Were you unable to bore those in one operation?
                  Index "Super 55" mill
                  24" State disc sander

Comment

• Originally posted by ezduzit View Post

How did that happen? Were you unable to bore those in one operation?
                    Good morning! feeling a bit better now...
                    That is exactly the problem -- it had to be done in 2 setups. I thought i was close, but it looks like I wasn't.
                    Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 06-27-2021, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                      Darn.
                      I have a screw-up to fix -- and its one that I was most afraid of.
                      The top and bottom bores of the tool holder shank do not line up nearly well enough.
                      I feel your pain! These things happen when doing large parts on small machines. I'm sure you'll get it fixed 👍

Comment

• OK after some distractions earlier, I can get back to it.
                        Here's how I think I can save this:
                        That's my test bar in the chuck, no run-out at all, the needle stays on zero as I indicate it.
                        It fits the bore so closely that it takes a gentle push to get it in. No detectable play.
                        So I applied a line of super glue and slide the casting on the bar.
                        Its locked very firmly now. On the base of the machine I blued the area. (2nd pic)
                        This shows where and how much it is off.
                        It looks like I can get away with making the bottom bushing 1" (25mm) diameter OD.
                        The top bushing will remain at 7/8" (.875) say 22mm.
                        Both the bar and the bore measured at .875, its quite close.

I had considered doing it this way back on the first or second page of this thread
                        and now I wish I had done it.

I chose to use the top bore where the tool holder comes out, because I think that is the most important dimension.
                        So that axis is the reference for everything else and that is where I glued the test bar.

Click image for larger version  Name:	mla18-76.jpg Views:	0 Size:	683.8 KB ID:	1948773

Click image for larger version  Name:	mla18-77.jpg Views:	0 Size:	703.6 KB ID:	1948774
                        Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 06-27-2021, 04:05 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

• Originally posted by Galaxie View Post
                          I feel your pain! These things happen when doing large parts on small machines. I'm sure you'll get it fixed 👍
                          Actually the issue is one of limited tooling: The lathe itself can easily handle it, but my largest drill is a 1/2" jobbers length. Just a regular drill. To do the job properly, I would have preferred a 5/8 drill with at least 6" of flute length and an MT2 shank.

Going beyond that, I would have had to bore the drilled hole out from both ends anyway. A solid carbide bar about 12" long might have solved that problem.

Unfortunately my budget is less than zero so far this year. Been off work on disability since February, return to work in Oct. So, any scrap metal I can scrounge, or old tools, or whatever is how I'm getting by.

Comment

• OK, that worked out well. The bottom bearing bore cleaned up at 1.018 (some uncertainty with cheap calipers)
                            so I can make the bearing OD something like 1.016 and get away with it. I will get the telescopic gauges and mic, and confirm for a solid number.

The bearing stock in the kit is a couple different sizes of that bronze hollow bar that is eye-watering expensive.
                            Its one of those things you really, really don't want to cock up.

Instructions say to turn and part off the bearing stock to a "loctite" fit. Then bore the actual bearing surface in situ.
                            I will probably try to bore a bit under, then ream with a .001 over chucking reamer.
                            Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 06-27-2021, 06:13 PM.

Comment

• Possibly line-ream?

I have some adjustable long-body reamers made for line-reamng by hand. You make a bushing or cone to fit one side while reaming the other, then move the cone/bushing to do the other one. If you want to borrow one, PM me.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

• On a large sailing yacht I had to precisely line bore holes in an odd-shaped carbon fiber boom. What I came up with was an annular cutter which I piloted on a custom shaft that I turned down to just fit inside the cutter.

Index "Super 55" mill
                                24" State disc sander

Comment

Working...
                                X