More DC Drive Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"the boards that run them are unusable for repurposing."

Can't use them as a controller for a tool? How so? What's the drawback other than the "gotta go back to zero to restart" thing?
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post

What's the drawback other than the "gotta go back to zero to restart" thing?
      The MC2100's do not have that feature, and on the MC60 ver, it can be defeated.
      Also the MC2100 have a ramp up feature on re-start, i.e. they do not get hit with full voltage

Comment

There are other controllers for DC motors other than the ones originally supplied with the treadmills. The other ones may be more suited to the purpose than the treadmill controllers, but admittedly they cost actual money.
        CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Due to the new technologies of BLDC and AC ECM motors, DC controller manuf are becoming scarce, KB is still one of the main players.
          There is of course the servo amps that can be used in open loop such as Glentek and A-M-C , with these you get features such as bi directional contral and tach feedback.
          Also their 3ph BLDC drives can also be used for DC brushed motors.
          I am surprised that the typical TM manuf chose DC brushed, and not BLDC etc.
          Last edited by MaxHeadRoom; 05-09-2021, 12:52 PM.

Comment

I found a few of these in metal pile a few years back none of the controllers inside worked. Click image for larger version

Name:	2AFCC5D1-AA2E-4A20-94B8-0814942FCAFE.png
Views:	129
Size:	3.77 MB
ID:	1942197

Comment

those penta drives are really neat, good all in one sealed solutions. Wonder why they're not working? If it's something simple you'd have a ready to use set up.

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                those penta drives are really neat, good all in one sealed solutions. Wonder why they're not working? If it's something simple you'd have a ready to use set up.
                Agree, they are good drives and should be fixable.

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post

Can't use them as a controller for a tool? How so? What's the drawback other than the "gotta go back to zero to restart" thing?
                  The boards are huge, nearly as wide as a treadmill, and none of the electronics on them look duplicatable nor removable. If I had a big electronics lab maybe, but I don't.

metalmagpie

Comment

ah, I think you're confusing the controls (what the treadmill user uses) and the motor control/ drive board (in the base, provides power to the motor). The stuff up top either sends a voltage difference signal (old school mechanical dial/ slider) or a PWM signal to the motor control/ drive board to start/ change speed etc. Only the motor control board and some way of providing the speed signal is used when the motor is used for a machine tool. However if the motor control board is a less well known one and needs a PWM signal, that would potentially take alot more work. If its an MC40/60/65/2100 things are easier.

Comment

I’m running this Controller on my Gearhead Radial Drill 2 hp and been happy.This one was coupled to a separate board that ran the Incline Motor and other stuff,only complaint is the white porcelain thing runs hot with out a cooling fan. Click image for larger version

Name:	E5327BE9-7237-4286-8C58-E5DB2A3714CB.png
Views:	108
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	1942316

Comment

5Watt porcelain resistor, the MC2100 version also gets hot and can fail, I have a DIY fix for the replacement.
                        Usually used to drop the HV DC for the voltage regulator, saves a transformer.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxHeadRoom View Post
                          5Watt porcelain resistor, the MC2100 version also gets hot and can fail, I have a DIY fix for the replacement.
                          Usually used to drop the HV DC for the voltage regulator, saves a transformer.
                          I should send you some of my controllers and you give them a tune up🙂
                          Last edited by Tundra Twin Track; 05-11-2021, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Always willing to try!
                            Incidentally, those size resistors are generally too hot to touch when ran at the rated wattage.

Comment

Working...
                            X