Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New control panel for lathe 3 phase vfd conversion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New control panel for lathe 3 phase vfd conversion.

I swapped a Siemens 3 phase motor and Teco Westinghouse VFD into my lathe to replace the single phase motor.

I decided to try a novel approach to the jog function. A 4 way joystick.

up, will be reverse jog, @ the speed set by the potentiometer.
    ​Down will be forward jog, @ the normal potentiometer speed.

Left will be forward inching, @ 30hz (about 8rpm in lowest gear, with a decel time as quick as possible.) Right will be reverse inching @ 30hz.
    I'm still waiting for some of the switches.

​​​

I like this! You may want to add a display also for when you need a break from machining and want to play Space Invaders or Pac-man. Seriously, joy-sticks are underrated as control devices. There's something to be said for being able to do multiple functions without needing to remove your hand from the control.
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

that looks pretty slick, nice job
      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
        that looks pretty slick, nice job
        I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
          I like this! You may want to add a display also for when you need a break from machining and want to play Space Invaders or Pac-man. Seriously, joy-sticks are underrated as control devices. There's something to be said for being able to do multiple functions without needing to remove your hand from the control.

I was thinking I might try it for metric threading up to a shoulder. Possibly even for all threading, without needing the thread dial.

With the VFD giving a near instant stop ​​​​​​@ 30hz slow jog, put it in a gear that gets me about 40rpm. Set compound to 30°, zero it. Zero the cross slide set up for the first pass. Engage the half nut. Joystick left to to cut, release joystick at the end of the pass. Back the cross slide out a full turn, then joystick up to rapid reverse jog, to the start of the cut. Feed cross slide back in 1 turn to the original zero, dial in next cut depth on the compound, joystick left for next slow cut pass. The repeat as needed.

It could work.

I'm going to find out as soon as I get it all back together.

Comment

Gonna work quite well.
            I use similar on my cnc refit lathe, when I don´t need to run macros for a full-on auto pass.

Originally posted by ken226 View Post

I was thinking I might try it for metric threading up to a shoulder. Possibly even for all threading, without needing the thread dial.

With the VFD giving a near instant stop ​​​​​​@ 30hz slow jog, put it in a gear that gets me about 40rpm. Set compound to 30°, zero it. Zero the cross slide set up for the first pass. Engage the half nut. Joystick left to to cut, release joystick at the end of the pass. Back the cross slide out a full turn, then joystick up to rapid reverse jog, to the start of the cut. Feed cross slide back in 1 turn to the original zero, dial in next cut depth on the compound, joystick left for next slow cut pass. The repeat as needed.

It could work.

I'm going to find out as soon as I get it all back together.

Comment

Looks good, never thought about adding a joystick to a VFD.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                Looks good, never thought about adding a joystick to a VFD.

it's a popular and common add-on with the PM1440 guys on hobby machinist. But, all I've seen so far have been 2 way up/down that closes the vfd signal common to the fw/rev terminals.

Since my Teco vfd has parameter settings for seperate forward/reverse jog, with their own specific frequency, accel and decel rates, I decided a 4 way joystick would be an interesting experiment. I'll set the stick up/down to close com to fw/rev and the sticks left/right to close the com with the jog specific fw/rev.

Then I can go in any time and adjust the frequency, accel and decel times for the fw and rev jog functions.

Comment

Yep, did the same on my PM1236T. Well... I have the wires for the joystick, I just got sick of spending money on it and left the Jog to a slow forward speed via a push button. Really easy to change over at a later date.

Comment

Did you do the engraving yourself? How?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain K View Post
                      Did you do the engraving yourself? How?
                      First I bead blasted the panel and coated it with bake-on H-series cerakote. I used a spring loaded diamond tip drag engraving tool in a cnc mill (spindle off), to engrave it. The drag tool cuts through the cerakote and leaves lines with clean edges and excellent contrast.

I suspect that a cheap ebay CNC router would work as well as my mill for this purpose.

Comment

I have all the wiring finished. Just waiting for a couple switches in the mail.

The Estop switch in the pics above was borrowed from another machine. These are the switches that are going in:

Comment

Originally posted by greystone View Post
                          Gonna work quite well.
                          I use similar on my cnc refit lathe, when I don´t need to run macros for a full-on auto pass.

The switches haven't arrived yet, but I got the joystick wired sufficiently that I could test the jog functions.

I also did a quick threading test on some scrap cold roll, to see if I'd like using that joystick for metric threads. Here's the test run:

https://youtu.be/M8l3tAXhxo0

I'm not sure I'd use it for imperial threads, but for metric I think it's gonna be a winner. Don't even have to look at the half nut or thread dial. Just leave the half nut closed the whole time.
                          Last edited by ken226; 05-13-2021, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Comment

I like that! Nicely done!
                              Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X