Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New control panel for lathe 3 phase vfd conversion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is it reaching up there for the controls? Close to the Chuck might not be a huge deal but doing work at the end of the bed could get interesting.

It would be pretty slick it you could get the joystick mounted onto the carriage.

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post
      How is it reaching up there for the controls? Close to the Chuck might not be a huge deal but doing work at the end of the bed could get interesting.

It would be pretty slick it you could get the joystick mounted onto the carriage.

Yes, I thought of that. I may do it eventually, but I'll have to come up with some kind of switch enclosure/mount, and find a safe wire routing.

For now, if I need to thread on the tailstock end, I'll have to do it the old fashioned way.

Comment

It would suck to have a chip wrap around the controls on the carriage making the lathe crash itself.
        Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
          It would suck to have a chip wrap around the controls on the carriage making the lathe crash itself.
          A great point.

The current switch location, the the rear left side of the headstock is pretty safe. And the gear cover makes an excellent armrest for operating the joystick with my left hand.

Perhaps I'll leave it as is, and just accept that it's a cool jog switch, but only useable for threading on the headstock of the lathe.

Comment

I finished the lathe panel.

And started on the mill.

Last edited by ken226; 05-19-2021, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Very nice!
              There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

I love it! Nice work!
                21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Thinking about it, it wouldn’t be very hard to make up corded box to hold a joystick and reach over to the carriage.

Put a nice plug on it so you can take it off when not needed and leave the one where you currently have it.

You could just hold it in your hand but I think I would make up a mount for the carriage, either quick release or 1 bolt holding it.

Comment

Working...
                  X