Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New control panel for lathe 3 phase vfd conversion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oxford
    replied
    Thinking about it, it wouldn’t be very hard to make up corded box to hold a joystick and reach over to the carriage.

Put a nice plug on it so you can take it off when not needed and leave the one where you currently have it.

You could just hold it in your hand but I think I would make up a mount for the carriage, either quick release or 1 bolt holding it.

Leave a comment:

• The Metal Butcher
    replied
    I love it! Nice work!

Leave a comment:

• Jim Stewart
    replied
    Very nice!

Leave a comment:

• ken226
    replied
    I finished the lathe panel.

And started on the mill.

Last edited by ken226; 05-19-2021, 09:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ken226
    replied
    Originally posted by vpt View Post
    It would suck to have a chip wrap around the controls on the carriage making the lathe crash itself.
    A great point.

The current switch location, the the rear left side of the headstock is pretty safe. And the gear cover makes an excellent armrest for operating the joystick with my left hand.

Perhaps I'll leave it as is, and just accept that it's a cool jog switch, but only useable for threading on the headstock of the lathe.

Leave a comment:

• vpt
    replied
    It would suck to have a chip wrap around the controls on the carriage making the lathe crash itself.

Leave a comment:

• ken226
    replied
    Originally posted by oxford View Post
    How is it reaching up there for the controls? Close to the Chuck might not be a huge deal but doing work at the end of the bed could get interesting.

It would be pretty slick it you could get the joystick mounted onto the carriage.

Yes, I thought of that. I may do it eventually, but I'll have to come up with some kind of switch enclosure/mount, and find a safe wire routing.

For now, if I need to thread on the tailstock end, I'll have to do it the old fashioned way.

Leave a comment:

• oxford
    replied
    How is it reaching up there for the controls? Close to the Chuck might not be a huge deal but doing work at the end of the bed could get interesting.

It would be pretty slick it you could get the joystick mounted onto the carriage.

Leave a comment:

• vpt
    replied
    I like that! Nicely done!

Leave a comment:

• ken226
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ken226
    replied
    Originally posted by greystone View Post
    Gonna work quite well.
    I use similar on my cnc refit lathe, when I don´t need to run macros for a full-on auto pass.

The switches haven't arrived yet, but I got the joystick wired sufficiently that I could test the jog functions.

I also did a quick threading test on some scrap cold roll, to see if I'd like using that joystick for metric threads. Here's the test run:

https://youtu.be/M8l3tAXhxo0

I'm not sure I'd use it for imperial threads, but for metric I think it's gonna be a winner. Don't even have to look at the half nut or thread dial. Just leave the half nut closed the whole time.
    Last edited by ken226; 05-13-2021, 10:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ken226
    replied
    I have all the wiring finished. Just waiting for a couple switches in the mail.

The Estop switch in the pics above was borrowed from another machine. These are the switches that are going in:

Leave a comment:

• ken226
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain K View Post
    Did you do the engraving yourself? How?
    First I bead blasted the panel and coated it with bake-on H-series cerakote. I used a spring loaded diamond tip drag engraving tool in a cnc mill (spindle off), to engrave it. The drag tool cuts through the cerakote and leaves lines with clean edges and excellent contrast.

I suspect that a cheap ebay CNC router would work as well as my mill for this purpose.

Leave a comment:

• Captain K
    replied
    Did you do the engraving yourself? How?

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Yep, did the same on my PM1236T. Well... I have the wires for the joystick, I just got sick of spending money on it and left the Jog to a slow forward speed via a push button. Really easy to change over at a later date.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X