Versatile thread milling cutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eKretz View Post
    Is the tool axis set to the helix angle of the thread when you cut the threads? Otherwise you'd get some error on the included angle in the cut threads. Probably not that much on a finer pitch, but might be pretty significant on coarser pitch.
    Good question,There in no provision for helix angle compensation on my setup. Most thread milling is done on a vertical machining center with smaller diameter cutters . My cutter would be a problem on SMALL DIAMETER COURSE INTERNAL THREADS.I dont think this would be a problem on EXTERNAL THREADS.Edwin Dirnbeck

Comment

ah, I get it now. I was confused about how you would index the cutter revolution to the spindle, but you don't need to. As long as the cutter is spinning fast than the spindle and the carriage is indexed to the spindle then the cutter will carve out the thread in multiple cuts per revolution. Very neat! Do you see any faceting in the threads or does the cutter spin too fast relative to the spindle for that to be an issue? Only change I would make would be to stick a small 24V DC motor on there instead of the angle grinder, though the angle grinder is simpler by far.

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
        ah, I get it now. I was confused about how you would index the cutter revolution to the spindle, but you don't need to. As long as the cutter is spinning fast than the spindle and the carriage is indexed to the spindle then the cutter will carve out the thread in multiple cuts per revolution. Very neat! Do you see any faceting in the threads or does the cutter spin too fast relative to the spindle for that to be an issue? Only change I would make would be to stick a small 24V DC motor on there instead of the angle grinder, though the angle grinder is simpler by far.
        This is a 200 to 3000 rpm BUFFER driving the tool.I use about 2500 rpm. The lathe turns around 3 rpm yes 3 rpm. On an INTERNAL THREAD there is no noticeable faceting maybe because the thread wraps around the tool. I am anxious to try it on an EXTERNAL THREAD to see if it is different. Edwin Dirnbeck

Comment

Working...
        X