No announcement yet.

Simple fence for my band saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Words do have meanings and they can be important in any technical discussion. While I do not like being a pedant, I do think that there is enough difference between a fence, a miter gauge, and a sled, all used in relation to a table saw, that it is important to use the correct one.

As for the OP's saw, I love it. I am wondering if I could find an inexpensive way to obtain a table that could be used on my old 4 X 6. The factory table is almost useless.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

My 1952 20 inch Crescent does not have table slots, was a real handicap, had to C Clamp temporary fences, awkward. Then I found Carter Machinery’s Magnetic Fence. Carter good source anything Band Saw

Two twist magnets like indicator bases. Fast set up never slips, handles re saws tall thin slices perfect. Keep a 24 inch rule handy, square it by measuring the ends off the tables edge. Used to check it with squares, measurement both ends longer run probably more accurate

Band saw needs a fence for sure

Boats

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post

I get a bit pedantic, too. I recently watched an Adam Savage video. Every time he referred to his "fence" I had to mutter to myself, "it's not a fence, it's a cross-cut sled!"
        He also refers to a coaxial dial indicator as a wiggler.
        He doesn't know what he doesn't know.
        But he has more money than I do.
        Life is never fair.
        But I agree, I would call it a push sled.

-Doozer
        DZER

Comment

I have a horizontal metal cutting band saw that tips up to vertical, then you replace small metal stop on the lower guide with a sheet metal table that came with the saw. Every time I want to split something or cut a reasonably straight cut I clamp on a piece of angle iron to use as a fence. The problem is I have to take some measurements every time to get the angle iron parallel to the blade. I have been thinking about building something better but just haven't got to it yet. I would probably have to make a new table out of a piece of aluminum plate so I could attach some kind of fence to it and cut a couple of miter slots. Anybody done something like that ?
          Larry - west coast of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
            I am wondering if I could find an inexpensive way to obtain a table that could be used on my old 4 X 6. The factory table is almost useless.
            My vertical table is not sophisticated, but far superior to the factory table. It's just a 9" square of 1/4" hot rolled scrapbinium. Two flat head screws secure it to the existing holes in the blade guide, and it rests on four set screws so I can to square it to the blade in both directions. I can get pretty clean inside corners. I had originally intended to to add a brace underneath, but haven't found that necessary since the cutting force is centered over the mount, at least with small pieces that are too light to make the table sag.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Saw Table.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1942609

Comment

I've also heard of sleds for table saws referred to as saw boxes.
              OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

He also refers to a coaxial dial indicator as a wiggler.
                He doesn't know what he doesn't know.
                But he has more money than I do.
                Life is never fair.
                But I agree, I would call it a push sled.

-Doozer
                Oh Ya.!

Comment

Working...
                X