No announcement yet.

How to hold small work in lathe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its always a good thing to have a choice of ways to choose from when considering a job setup.

Comment

If you have a straight shank drill chuck,
      nothing says you can't grab the shank in the 4 jaw
      and use the drill chuck to hold small parts.
      Surely you have one kicking about the shop.

-D
      DZER

Comment

Even as I write this ...

.. the courier driver is thundering across the Canterbury Plains in his Scania B- Triple with my plain shank ER32 chuck bouncing around in the back.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
          If you have a straight shank drill chuck,
          nothing says you can't grab the shank in the 4 jaw
          and use the drill chuck to hold small parts.
          Surely you have one kicking about the shop.

-D
          You know now how to hold small / big stuff, but now the little stuff. Doozer nailed it. I used a small keyless chuck in a collet to do 2nd operation work on .012 aluminum pins.

Thank you Mr. D~ trophy in the mail-

Comment

Oh dear, now I need to make a Jacobs/straight adapter!

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
              Tom, the lathe has a MT5 internal taper and a 40mm bore, the chuck mount is D1-4.

However collets in the spindle are not my concern right now as I really want a convenient way of turning small diameter work pieces without having to remove the 4 jaw chuck. I think I will be satisfied when the ER32 chuck with plain shank arrives.

I'm partial to the 5C collet system myself. It fits my needs with its range of sizes and for the ability to handle longer bar stock that might hang out the back of the head-stock. If the ER32 system fits your mission profile then yes, you will be satisfied with them. And as was pointed out, don't forget that a drill chuck is a great way to hold small diameter parts.

Comment

That's a beautiful scene. Taken from your shop window? If I had a view like that from my shop I would only get work done at night.

Even as I write this ...

.. the courier driver is thundering across the Canterbury Plains in his Scania B- Triple with my plain shank ER32 chuck bouncing around in the back.
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

I have a drill chuck that threads onto the spindle of my 9" S.B.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                    That's a beautiful scene. Taken from your shop window?
                    Unfortunately no, but if I climbed a rather tall ladder I might see that!

Comment

You are missing an opportunity to build the ultimate chuck changing machine. Just press the number for the chuck you want presented to your spindle. I can envision many possibilities. Hydraulics, pneumatic, arduino, etc. Oh yeah. A robotic arm mounted over the lathe. Come on lets do it. I will even fly down and help you. I have never been to New Zealand. I am calling my travel agent as we speak.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I am working on a CNC addition to my lathe which will manufacture whatever work-holding device is required to do the job on hand.

Comment

Unfortunately no, but if I climbed a rather tall ladder I might see that!
                          John,

It's been six years since I was last in New Zealand, too long. Your photo reminds me of how clear the air is, all over really, but on the Canterbury Plains especially.

In 1995 I was driving from Methven to Christchurch. Down at road level the Southern Alps are sometime obscured by hedgerows, and navigation for a non-native can be tricky. It is not made any easier by the web of roads which cross the Canterbury Plains in all directions. I went through the Rakaia Gorge, and stopped at Windwhistle (my favorite of all place names). My map showed that I was not far from a place called Charing Cross, where nine roads converge. I figured that was worth a slight detour.

https://goo.gl/maps/egJuZ99SqnNyMZ3L8

When I got there, my diary records:
                          This is an 8-road intersection, the 9th road, Strangers Rd., is sign-posted through the grass, so it is arguably a 9-road intersection.

I thought that must be a world record, until later on that 10-month backbacking trip I got to Paris, and discovered that the Arc de Triomphe is (sorta) a 12-road intersection. Still, Charing Cross may hold the record for the Southern Hemisphere. I reckon you could get there in less than an hour if you don't get lost!
                          Last edited by aostling; 05-15-2021, 02:41 AM.
                          Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Hi Allan, I am somewhat familiar with the Charing Crosses, there is the one you mentioned which is north of the Selwyn river and another south of the Rakaia river near Pendarves.

John

Comment

I’ve only seen the grubby Charing Cross railway station, complete with toilet sandwich dispenser
                              Shame such a beautiful country is run by such an ugly sprit
                              mark

Comment

I have ordered the collet chuck but not given up entirely on the little 3 jaw.
                                You should be able to use external jaws in the 4-jaw to grip the outside of the little 3-jaw. If the back of the 3-jaw isn't true enough to register on the face or jaw-steps of the large 4-jaw, grab one end of a 1/2" dowel pin or drill rod in the 3 jaw and the other end in the 4-jaw, snug up and face until it is.

I am not sure I would trust a collet block to be square enough for this.

A straight-shank collet chuck would work of course, or a straight-shank any-chuck. I would prefer 5C over ER for stuff like work stops, hex/square collets, etc, but you take what you can get.

You could also just hold a pin vise in the chuck, though you may need to make your own as the barrels of the commercial ones may not be true to the bores (as with collet blocks: *should* be but are they?).

Comment

Working...
                                X