No announcement yet.

How to hold small work in lathe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5C costs at least double the price of er and is less useful in conjunction with milling machines.

Comment

ER32 chuck arrived but now I am wishing I had ordered a square shank for ease of setting in the 4-jaw.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
        ER32 chuck arrived but now I am wishing I had ordered a square shank for ease of setting in the 4-jaw.
        Doesn't really make a difference now does it?
        21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
        1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

Doesn't really make a difference now does it?
          Maybe not but I was thinking it might!

Comment

I've wrapped small work in copper wire to better fit to larger jaw chucks.

Adjust tru types work well for this. Or independent jaw chucks.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
              5C costs at least double the price of er and is less useful in conjunction with milling machines.
              Depends on what you are using them for in the milling machine. My main use is in the collet blocks, spindexer and another vertical and horizontal 5C holder with clamping pads. So at the time a set of 5C collets made more sense to me. But that was some years back when ER collets and collet chucks were far more costly too. I lusted for a set but could not justify the money. A year and a bit ago I was able to finally dive in for about a third the price compared to back 15 years ago.

Of course we can also get ER collet blocks. But not an ER spindexer as far as I know.

I did add to my options by buying a 5c shank ER32 collet chuck though. So now I've got more options for sizes of work I can hold.
              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I agree the 5C are more expensive - my (old and used) lathe came with a 5C lever-closer chuck in the spindle and a buncha collets. Looking at the cost for a replacement set was a bit eye-popping, so I've been replcing the beat-up ones as-needed.

That said, they are far more useful. As BC Rider points out, there are milling and grinding fixtures or indexes which use 5C, and there are emergency and step collets that can be bored out for stuff like washers/disks or non-round work. I have ER collets as well as 5C, and even though they are better (more accurate, greater clamping range, less time to change a collet), I rarely use them as the 5Cs simply have more uses.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210519_080148[1].jpg
Views:	77
Size:	4.01 MB
ID:	1943360

First job with the ER32 chuck in the 4 jaw was to make these little dog-leg-studs to adapt a new Chinese carburetor to our museum's antique fuel tanker.

This would have been possible in a 3 jaw but a mite tedious whereas in the ER32/4 jaw combination I needed to set the offset only once (not four times).

John

Comment

Another string to your bow, good work.

Comment

Working...
                    X