Angle Drive saved my Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angle Drive saved my Butt

Two weeks ago I was at the local Grainger Warehouse picking up some parts when I saw this DeWalt angle drive for 20 bucks
    and thought it to be a pretty neat compact tool. So tonight I was on a project that required a 9/32 ' hole behind an obstruction.
    I could reach it with a 12" drill bit, but I didn't have one of those and then thought of the angle drive, except it is a 1/4" hex.
    So here is how I tackled it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P5150047.JPG
Views:	486
Size:	699.9 KB
ID:	1943029
    I mounted my 9/32" Drill bit in a 5 C Hex Block with the drill shank exposed about 3/4"
    i have done this before and you can see some faint lines on the belt sander table which is used to make a Hex to fit the angle drive
    Now freehand is one thing, but in this case I want a good fit so you press the drill bit firmly against the Belt Sander Platten -Machine OFF !
    I want a .25 Hex from a .281 round so half the difference is about .016 , so I set a .016" shim between a angle plate (clamped) and the Hex block.
    This is a bit aggressive but I was in a hurry and it worked fine . Just grind and flip and grind and it fits wonderfully.
    Next job was shortening the drill bit to make it a stub drill and my job was done. I had a Angle drill only 3 inches long , whereas some with a chuck are 3 inches before a drill is mounted. It saved my butt on the project
    Rich

Name:	P5150051.JPG
Views:	464
Size:	680.9 KB
ID:	1943030 Click image for larger version

Name:	P5150053.JPG
Views:	464
Size:	715.3 KB
ID:	1943031
    Green Bay, WI

Nice!

There are hex drive drills, I have some. But they do not work in metal, the hex and drill are not solidly enough connected. DAMHIKT!
    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Forgot a picture
      Rich

Name:	P5150055.JPG
Views:	460
Size:	684.8 KB
ID:	1943035
      Green Bay, WI

Comment

Nice! Yeah, those little right angle drives from DeWalt are available at the big box stores, too. I've got a pair of 'em and they've saved my butt on multiple occasions. Using the belt sander to put a hex on the drill bit was a good idea. I've used the pre-made hex drills in metal and never had any issues but I don't have a complete set.

Comment

I've got a similar one although not branded dewalt. It's saved my bacon man times over the years. I've got some short stubby bits with hex ends, and even made hex holders for #36, and $43 drills for 4-40 and 6-32 tap holes in hard to reach places. I used to use it a ton for that, but not so much anymore. It comes in handy with countersinks for deburring tough to reach areas too. I even have a small drill chuck with a hex drill that i've used with it before. Doesn't take up much room in the toolbox, but can really save the day.

Comment

I’ve used those also,these Aircraft bits are also handy for tight spots 1/4”x 28 thread. Click image for larger version

Name:	4AE761C3-864D-4709-804F-F9C903887CE3.png
Views:	337
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	1943109

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
              I’ve used those also,these Aircraft bits are also handy for tight spots 1/4”x 28 thread. Click image for larger version

Name:	4AE761C3-864D-4709-804F-F9C903887CE3.png
Views:	337
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	1943109
              They go to this:

CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Tundra- Those are pretty neat and remind me of the old Clarkson cutters - but they were 20 TPI I believe
                Are they commercially available ?
                Rich
                Green Bay, WI

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

They go to this:

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                  Tundra- Those are pretty neat and remind me of the old Clarkson cutters - but they were 20 TPI I believe
                  Rich
                  I made a threaded stub shaft that can be used with regular Drill Chuck,I drilled over 60 holes through 1/4” wall square tubing on a Grain Dryer Repair.They were drilled with a Corded 90 deg Drill then tubing was removed and holes were Tapped then tubing reinstalled. Click image for larger version

Name:	A6A62F33-FBCB-4096-B264-5AF00DAE614B.png
Views:	270
Size:	3.76 MB
ID:	1943184 Click image for larger version

Name:	774785FF-4E65-4964-87E2-47387D1E84F0.png
Views:	279
Size:	3.41 MB
ID:	1943183

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                    Rich
                    Yes these come from the aircraft world, they also make countersinks and counter bores with the same thread-

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...drillbit-1.php

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...fittoolkit.php
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Hey Weird, you just opened up a whole new horizon.
                      Looks like tool buying time.
                      thanks
                      Rich

Now i know why you have that by byword
                      "I just need one more tool,just one! "
                      Green Bay, WI

Comment

This was the aftermath after drilling over 60 holes through 1/4” steel on Grain Dryer with Dewalt angle drill Click image for larger version

Name:	5A1071B6-C402-428A-8E80-727D0504B94A.png
Views:	153
Size:	4.54 MB
ID:	1943277 ,these probably aren’t designed for steel but got the job done.I got a bunch of these in Auction Stuff so cost was minimal🙂

Comment

Working...
                        X