O.T. More self driving vehicle adventures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. More self driving vehicle adventures

Still, at least as good as many of the drivers I see on the road daily.

https://www.theregister.com/2021/05/...i_malfunction/
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

As they advised to "remain seated with seat belt fastened in case the car starts moving" is there:
    • no E-STOP?
    • no door interlocks - or do the doors remain locked until you reach the scene of the accident?

Comment

No explosive bolts on the door frame to be used for self rescue?

Comment

Originally posted by ATW View Post
        As they advised to "remain seated with seat belt fastened in case the car starts moving" is there:
        • no E-STOP?
        • no door interlocks - or do the doors remain locked until you reach the scene of the accident?
        You are to remain inside the the vehicle to make it easier to find the body - so doors are to stay locked until the accident is over. Plus Rescue enjoys cutting cars apart and can always use the practice.

[QUOTE]No explosive bolts on the door frame to be used for self rescue?/QUOTE]

I cannot imagine the happiness and joy with which drunks and other hoodlums will have when they discover that "blowing the doors off" of a car can be real for just pushing a button or pulling a lever.
        If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

I remember about 50 years ago when people said we would have a lathe machine that could run itself. Most of my peers said not in my lifetime.

Comment

Wonderful --- wait till there's about a million of them all glitching out at the same time, will be a real treat...

Comment

Can you imagine the Hackers have fun holding you hostage as you go 60 MPH down the road--which will be called bitcoin heaven
              Rich
              Green Bay, WI

Comment

This made me whole day. Thanks for posting.

The Waymo vehicle "running away" from the roadside service guy evokes memories of when I was a kid playing with go-karts. I had just built my first "shifter kart" using gears I robbed out of an old riding mower. It was a really hokey drive train cobbled together out of whatever I could scrounge out of the garbage. My clutch was just slipping the drive belt between the little transmission box I welded up and the pulley on the lawnmower engine. To start the go-kart, I had to put a pin in the clutch pedal to keep the belt slack and then pull the starter cord on the engine.

Well one day I stalled the kart while driving on a neighborhood road so I put the pin in the clutch pedal, hopped out and yanked the starter cord. There was also no neutral position on the gearbox. Engine fired right up but almost as soon as the engine fired up, the pin popped free and the go-kart took off. So here I am - skinny kid in an oversize motocross helmet that my BIL gave me - running like mad after my kart as it accelerates away from me. It eventually came to rest in my neighbors mailbox. No damage to the kart but the mailbox was toast. I'm not sure I've ever been so embarrassed to knock on someone's door. Learned a lot of good lessons about engineering that day, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post
                  My clutch was just slipping the drive belt between the little transmission box I welded up and the pulley on the lawnmower engine..
                  Those were actually great dependable clutches --- our simplicity lawn tractor (and many others) have that design and they work great...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

Those were actually great dependable clutches --- our simplicity lawn tractor (and many others) have that design and they work great...
                    Yep. But most lawn tractors cut out if the clutch is engaged and there is no one in the seat

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post

Yep. But most lawn tractors cut out if the clutch is engaged and there is no one in the seat
                      I think the early designs were actually the worst with that --- they might not have had a seat sensor AND had the type of clutch that was typical like a cars "spring loaded and engaged was -UP" the newer designs actually require you to push it in to go --- AND have a seat sensor, about bombproof,,, the push in design has kinda a travel to the other side of the spring pressure - so it's difficult at first then is easy to hold in but has enough to release the pedal if your foots not on it...

Comment

The lathe machine that can run itself has not happened, you still have to start by telling it what to do. And woe betide you if your instructions are not right.

Comment

Originally posted by jimsehr View Post
                          I remember about 50 years ago when people said we would have a lathe machine that could run itself. Most of my peers said not in my lifetime.
                          I remember 40 years ago industry "experts" said computer program generating software would be so sophisticated that there wouldnt be any need for computer programmers because the clerical staff would just crank out whatever the company needed. Still nowhere in sight.

No frickin E-stop?! There's a nice thought. Going down I35W in Minneapolis and you see the bridge ahead fall into the Missisippi and good ole Waymo just keeps barreling along with no way to stop it. I guess if that happens at least as its going off the edge the stereo is playing the Everything Is Awesome song from the Lego movie.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post

I remember 40 years ago industry "experts" said computer program generating software would be so sophisticated that there wouldnt be any need for computer programmers because the clerical staff would just crank out whatever the company needed. Still nowhere in sight.

Steve
                            About twenty years ago Sperry came out with Mapper a 4GL, which is a tool aimed at admin folk. Much better than Visual Basic or anything Microsoft has come out with. It was a success and still lives on as Cool-Ice under the Unisys Corp.

Comment

yeah. traffic cones. bane of autocrossers everywhere.

I've gotten good enough at moving them that I can do it without tipping them over.

This is terrifying. If I come upon one of these disasters, I think I'll start bumping them.

Just for fun.

t
                              rusting in Seattle

Comment

Working...
                              X