No announcement yet.

O.T. - Fuel Shutoff and Vacuum Fuel Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, always use stabilizer. It helps but doesn't completely stop the issues. For engines where you might not run them for most of a year or more I recommend stabilizer *and* draining the float bowl(s) if possible. If that's not possible, shut off the fuel valve and run the engine until it stalls out. If there's no fuel valve, pinch the fuel line and run the engine until it stalls and leave it pinched until next use or it will just refill the bowl if one is present. The fuel sitting in the carb long term is problematic no matter the additives. Engines that run regularly generally won't have the same problems.

And again, this may be at least somewhat climate dependent. I am in NW Indiana.
    Last edited by eKretz; 05-19-2021, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eKretz View Post
      If there's no fuel valve, pinch the fuel line and run the engine until it stalls and leave it pinched until next use or it will just refill the bowl if one is present.
      I suggest cutting the line and installing a valve. If you leave the line pinched for a long period of time, it might not "un-pinch" when the time comes. And if the hose is old to start with, it may break when the temperature changes and leak gasoline all over the place. Had that happen to me once... guess I should just be glad nothing exploded!

Comment

That is a good idea, as long as they will fit. Some things like chainsaws it would be difficult to find anywhere a valve would fit. In those cases you are better off to just dump out the gas and run the engine until it stalls.

Comment

Why do we have to have ethanol in our gasoline? Edwin Dirnbeck

Comment

In a nutshell it has been added to gasoline to help raise it's octane level as well as to oxygenate the gasoline, this helps it burn more cleanly which in turn reduces air pollution.
            A lot more science and politics involved than any one single additive that I can think of, don't get me going.
            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Edwin Dirnbeck View Post
              Why do we have to have ethanol in our gasoline? Edwin Dirnbeck
              It was billed as a method to offset short supply of petroleum twenty years ago. Then touted as the cure all for emissions. (FALSE)
              Today It's big money business that simply lines the pockets of politicians and big CEO's. Yes it really is as simple as that.
              It has ZERO benefits as a motor fuel.

Comment

I used to have a GS500E Suzuki, it had a vacuum operated fuel tap with only on, prime and reserve positions. There was also a long reach screwdriver operated tap on the tank for when the tank was removed from the bike. One morning Ijumped on the bike to go to work and got 1/4 mile before it died. I pushed it home and got my outhe bike out, a Kawasaki GPZ 305 out and still got to work on time, one small advantage of a 26 mile commute. Of course, I had the fuel turned off at the tank and had forgotten about it.

Isn't ethanol produced by farmers who don't want to grow food?

Comment

Working...
                X