Farm machine&weld fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farm machine&weld fix

Bad weld on “dog bone” of the hydraulic top link (3 pt. hitch) failed. Fortunately, tractor wasn’t moving at the time.

I struggle placing text among pictures using my phone, so we take what we can get.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Old weld was turned off bushing on my Sidney lathe. Put 2” square shaft in my Cincinnati VerciPower for weld prep with a 3” insert facemill. Welded with .045 wire and lots of heat. I did root pass, my fresh HS graduate son did the cover passes.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

He placed high in State FFA welding and scored a 31 on the ATC. Plays football, tenor sax, and piano. I’m proud of him.
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

I'm on the small screen right now, but that original weld looks more like solder than weld.
        The repair looks great!

Comment

Nice to have the right tools. Makes life a little easier. Helping your kids along life's journey priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by kendall View Post
            I'm on the small screen right now, but that original weld looks more like solder than weld.
            The repair looks great!
            That “weld” IS as bad as it looks. The dog bone is built from two different size and length bushing welded on to 2” square shaft.

Made my knees weak when I saw the debris. That tractor has a 26mph road speed. Coulda been a helluva wreck!

Pretty much every tractor on the farm has one of these top links. I plan to order some 4140 pre-hard and machine links from the solid for the three primary tractors. Have taken a close look at all, but see nothing....

Comment

Might be a candidate for a short pre road travel check list, something of a preflight check list.
              Nice repair!
              S E Michigan

Comment

Wow, that old "weld" was an accident waiting for a place to happen. Repair looks great. You and your son did a great job.

Comment

X2 you and your son did the right thing. I can't believe that old weld held up at all, that's just so poor. Kinda envious, the biggest I ever pulled was a 12-bottom disc
                  25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Nice repair. Always great when you can fix it better than it left the factory. Although it's a shame it ever got out the doors like that in the first place. Sad what passes for "quality" from some manufactures.

Comment

Nice job on repair,what kind of implement is that and are those liquid nitrogen tanks on tractor.I don’t see a lot of 3 point hitch equipment in these parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
                        Nice job on repair,what kind of implement is that and are those liquid nitrogen tanks on tractor.I don’t see a lot of 3 point hitch equipment in these parts.
                        Astute observation!

Comment

To all-
                          This implement is a “Orthman 1Tripr with shallow till coulter package.”

We’ve nicknamed it the “2Tripr” because it complements our “1Tripr with deep tillage shanks”.

Ideally we would make one pass late fall, after harvest withe the 1Tripr, inject some liquid N, and maybe P and then in the spring plant corn and sometimes soybeans directly into this tilled strip. Works great when conditions cooperate.

On edit-Strip Till is name of this practice. Can put liquid, dry or neither fertilizer in the root zone, prepare a nice seedbed and leave 2/3-3/4 of field surface undisturbed and erosion resistant. In one pass, hopefully. ....

In practice, we rarely get everything fall 1Tripped, so we scramble to find dry conditions, sometimes hit fields with 1&2 Trippers in quick succession, or simply stall, pray, and wait for dry and warm conditions to plant directly with no tillage.

Tanks ARE for liquid fertilizer(500gallons each)plus this tractor spends most of spring and early summer with a 90’ mounted spray boom for weed killing duty.
                          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                          Last edited by SVS; 05-23-2021, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	907CF217-B2FC-4071-9518-CF71B24241B7.png
Views:	590
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	1943985 Further comments-I think tractor is in its sixth season with us and was a year old lease return when my employer bought it. Top link was new when we put tractor into use. It probably sees the “bounciest and roughest” 3 point loads of our fleet. I’m real surprised it’s lasted this long!

It’s two year younger twin carries the main planter, but we’ve always “known” the planter was too heavy for a category 4 hydraulic top link, and haven’t had a remote outlet to spare, so have always swapped in the factory turnbuckle top link before hitching to the planter.

Comment

Originally posted by SVS View Post
                              To all-
                              This implement is a “Orthman 1Tripr with shallow till coulter package.”

We’ve nicknamed it the “2Tripr” because it complements our “1Tripr with deep tillage shanks”.

Ideally we would make one pass late fall, after harvest withe the 1Tripr, inject some liquid N, and maybe P and then in the spring plant corn and sometimes soybeans directly into this tilled strip. Works great when conditions cooperate.

On edit-Strip Till is name of this practice. Can put liquid, dry or neither fertilizer in the root zone, prepare a nice seedbed and leave 2/3-3/4 of field surface undisturbed and erosion resistant. In one pass, hopefully. ....

In practice, we rarely get everything fall 1Tripped, so we scramble to find dry conditions, sometimes hit fields with 1&2 Trippers in quick succession, or simply stall, pray, and wait for dry and warm conditions to plant directly with no tillage.

Tanks ARE for liquid fertilizer(500gallons each)plus this tractor spends most of spring and early summer with a 90’ mounted spray boom for weed killing duty.
                              That’s pretty cool,there has been a shift away from no till in my area by some farmers with the severe wet years since 2016.This spring was very enjoyable seeding with ideal conditions so possibly a good crop to come.

Comment

Working...
                              X