Farm machine&weld fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TTT,
    This farm transitioned from conventional tillage to ridge-till in the 80’s-before my time-we’ve dabbled with no-till on some farms for 20 years, and 6-7 years ago we started pure strip-till on some ground, a strip on top of ridges hybrid system on some, and we really need to get better at no-tilling as that’s the best fit for our roughest ground and for early winter plus wet spring years when we never get dry enough to make quality strips without making clods.

One of my upcoming projects involves converting a row crop cultivator into a trash sweeper, using planter trash wheels to lightly brush residue off a strip so the ground can warm and dry faster and be fit to no-till plant a few weeks sooner.

Comment

Last few weeks have been a few days of furious outdoor farming activity followed by a few busy shop days following rain.

Last rainy spell saw my son Jae working while I “advised” and cleaned shop. Put final finishing touches on a sprayer nurse trailer that has evolved over about five years. Finishing touch was cutting hole in side of trailer, adding “old man” accessible steps, and adding more tote and pallet hauling flexibility/capacity.

This project was a first for me....Shop was far, far cleaner and more organized when project was finished than when begun.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	3586E20B-C74F-4E2B-AAE5-9BABC37742FF.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	3.38 MB
ID:	1945498 Click image for larger version

Name:	9F4C5F74-BB31-47D5-98A6-3B3D4CEC0210.jpeg
Views:	244
Size:	3.71 MB
ID:	1945497 Click image for larger version

Name:	B0E90E5B-14B6-46CD-919D-A9257984B341.jpeg
Views:	249
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	1945496

Comment

Name:	D705D65D-BA23-4CC5-B528-6D851F29E5C1.jpeg
Views:	237
Size:	3.13 MB
ID:	1945502 Click image for larger version

Name:	1D4DF5B6-0294-4152-BDFD-394555A6AD14.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	1945501 Click image for larger version

Name:	80E43CA3-34BC-4DBA-B558-0F4AED8722CA.jpeg
Views:	245
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	1945500

Comment

Stick? Yes, Stick weld the bones together. (FYI, Structural welding is still stick, my Class!!) JR

Comment

It may be fertilizer that contains nitrogen
              but it is not liquid nitrogen. Let us be clear.
              If I am wrong, please correct me.

-D
              DZER

Comment

Probably anhydrous ammonia - surprisingly high N content - sometimes greater than 80%.
                Not the 100% N cold stuff, but a pretty good "approximation" of liquid nitrogen!

Comment

Originally posted by YukonHam View Post
                  Probably anhydrous ammonia - surprisingly high N content - sometimes greater than 80%.
                  Not the 100% N cold stuff, but a pretty good "approximation" of liquid nitrogen!
                  Anhydrous ammonia is a gas that's stored in high pressure tanks, not unlike propane. The tank is mounted on a cart when pulled through the field, and has discharge hoses terminating in a knife that allows for injecting the gas just under the soil surface. If the gas sees atmosphere it dissipates and is lost. Worse, if the gas sees humans they are lost, as the gas can be fatal when ingested. It's dangerous to handle but it's an extremely efficient way to get nitrogen into the soil.

What we're seeing in these photos is nitrogen fertilizer in liquid form rather than the dry, granular form that most are accustomed to seeing. Depending on the farm, some find it easier to handle liquid, and some are better equipped to handle dry fertilizers.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                    It may be fertilizer that contains nitrogen
                    but it is not liquid nitrogen. Let us be clear.
                    If I am wrong, please correct me.

-D
                    32% by weight Nitrogen fertilizer. 11.5lbs/gallon

Anhydrous Ammonia is bubbled through water to make a saturated solution. (I believe)

Below maybe 40 degrees F. It can salt out causing great hilarity, so in colder seasons we
                    Add water to make a 28% solution.

Comment

Nice job on the Tender Trailer,is that a shop built Hyd Arbor Press in pic and how big is that Peerless Hacksaw?

Comment

Nice looking shop. I wish I had that much space!
                        Kansas City area

Comment

Press is one I bought at a factory auction. No sign of who built it. Originally had a huge pump, 15hp motor and some limit switches and dead man style controls. I’m sure it was intended to be sort of a production press. The guys in an assembly building then obviously modified it to be more general purpose and it came with this chunk of 4 way press brake die.

Name:	FFE25843-B937-48F2-BB5B-36A0E560D85E.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	3.32 MB
ID:	1945914
                          I cut some of the junk off, downsized motor to 5hp and flanged on a cheap log splitter pump from Surplus Center and a spool valve I had around. I call it about a 40 ton C frame press. It’s not the H frame press I’d been scrounging pieces to build but price was really right and I’ve ended up liking it better than an H frame for many jobs. Obviously one of each is the new goal....That silly chunk of 4 way die has been more useful than I’d have ever imagined. All the tread plate step flanges for this trailer we’re done on it.

The Peerless weighs 3,500 lbs, think it will cut at least 10” pipe square and uses 18” blades as I recall.

Name:	C46DF552-A8D6-42D1-AFF1-D57DDA302A7B.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	2.81 MB
ID:	1945915

Comment

Shop is 40x80. Sounds ridiculous but it’s nowhere big enough or tall enough and the door is to small for “modern farm equipment”

Its turned into my machine tool and welding preserve which I love but all the big stuff gets dealt with in an uninsulated and poorly lit storage building at HQ. Hopefully when it’s warm enough to open the doors for light.

Comment

Originally posted by SVS View Post
                              Shop is 40x80. Sounds ridiculous but it’s nowhere big enough or tall enough and the door is to small for “modern farm equipment”
                              That doesn’t sound ridiculous at all,I built my 46x100 shop and Farm Equipment these days takes a lot of room.I do have a 18’ ceiling and a 40’ wide door that only consumes 5” out of ceiling height.

Comment

Working...
                              X