A new machine from bits and pieces from my scrap bin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new machine from bits and pieces from my scrap bin

If any of the great folks here have read any of my earlier posts, you would note the fun i have in creating useful objects from stuff on hand. My current evolution of workshop had made the necessity of a 2x72 inch belt grinder, a most beneficial addition. After looking over the selection of machines in the retail marts and viewing many diy videos of home-builds, i decided that attempting my version was a worthy project.
    After a few pencil sketches, i went to the boatshed that houses my “scrap bin”. From bits of steel tube, an antique electric motor, some quarter inch plate, skateboard wheels, and bits of store bought hardware, i was sure that, A. I could build it and B. Some fun could be had.
    Here are the results:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	A63FC9FF-4326-4915-89A4-EBA42D0A359D.jpeg
Views:	742
Size:	2.73 MB
ID:	1944169 Click image for larger version

Name:	3C9F7099-9523-4EBD-802F-95B5A5DB64E9.jpeg
Views:	749
Size:	3.10 MB
ID:	1944170 Click image for larger version

Name:	27CA3637-AAED-4984-BFEC-E986962A8919.jpeg
Views:	734
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	1944168 Click image for larger version

Name:	ECAC7608-2306-4D9A-AE6A-FBEF099F52DF.jpeg
Views:	764
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	1944167
    Attached Files

Nice job! I like it!
    Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
    Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Comment

The start of covid I said this a good time to start 2x72 had a lot of the materials like you. Mine looks like yours accept I used a jack shaft to increase the rpms of the drive pulley. I did loose some horsepower effect of the 1 hp motor.
      Attached Files
      Ed
      Agua Dulce, So.California
      1950 F1 street rod
      1949 F1 stock V8 flathead
      1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed
      1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame have a 4BT cummins motor, NV4500
      1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor, king coil-overs,P/S

Comment

Very nice..... I too enjoy the fine art of making stuff out of the recycling bin. I just bought 10 belts, trying to guilt myself into making one sooner than later..... My junk pile is looking ripe for the pickings. 😁
        If it wasn't done the hard way, I didn't do it.

Lillooet
        British Columbia
        Canada.

Comment

very cool and a great use of scrap. Just out of curiosity, is that a bat in the 1st pic? Alive, dead?

Comment

Built mine about 4 years ago, It has turned into my go to machine. I have plans for a better one but keep repairing this one. hahaha

Dam fine job!

Comment

Very nice!! Gives me motivation to build one. Always wanted to. Very handy.. Thanks for the pics... JR

Comment

Nice build, be sure to spend the extra money and get some 3M cubitron belts for it. They are expensive but well worth it. I use mine almost Dailey.

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                  very cool and a great use of scrap. Just out of curiosity, is that a bat in the 1st pic? Alive, dead?
                  Not a bat. Its a bronze sculpture of a human torso. Its a leftover of a limited edition sculpture i produced about 40 years ago. I found this in one of my bins and i decided to finish it.

Comment

Nice job! Do you have any attachments planned?
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Ooo nice one! The skateboard wheels is just too clever! I never would have thought of that...
                      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Nice job IronBear,as nickel city mentioned great idea using skate wheels.That motor is similar to the original motor from a pre 1937 Doall JD bandsaw I rebuilt this past winter.My rural dump still allows picking from metal pile,I’ve picked a lot of Goodies from there just brought 8 lengths of 1” rebar home last week🙂 Click image for larger version

Name:	072D8A0C-9C9C-48A1-9F45-AC6C3A4BF742.png
Views:	372
Size:	4.94 MB
ID:	1944370 Click image for larger version

Name:	7FCBB487-F10D-4169-ACDF-DBC8AE0D04A8.png
Views:	381
Size:	4.97 MB
ID:	1944369

Comment

I was grinding some 1/2” burnouts on mine a couple of weeks ago. The cubitron belts make short work out of it. The belt grinder is one tool I wouldn’t want to be without. Click image for larger version

Name:	45B106B4-032D-4FDE-B530-8B302EE7E8FE.jpeg
Views:	344
Size:	3.43 MB
ID:	1944388

Comment

Originally posted by true temper View Post
                            I was grinding some 1/2” burnouts on mine a couple of weeks ago. The cubitron belts make short work out of it. The belt grinder is one tool I wouldn’t want to be without. Click image for larger version

Name:	45B106B4-032D-4FDE-B530-8B302EE7E8FE.jpeg
Views:	344
Size:	3.43 MB
ID:	1944388
                            Is Cubitron better than the blue belts that I use that are zircon?
                            OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

I have been using Kingspore blue, and thought they were good. I bought some 3M’s and they were light years better.

Comment

Working...
                              X