Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why can't it be easier to figure out what insert fits???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't it be easier to figure out what insert fits???

I got this for $20.45 in an auction. I am looking for inserts and I can't figure it out. Can someone help me figure out round inserts.

Kennametal100mm Cut Diam, 8mm Max Depth, 32mm Arbor Hole, 55mm High, Indexable Copy Face Mill Takes 7 Inserts, RD.X 1604... Insert Style, Series KDM

The Kennametal site gives " RD_X1604M0_ " for an insert. Looking at the chart I get these for General Purpose Steel: RD S X1604M0 HP, RD S X1604M0 GN

I can't find one on Ebay

the RD.X can be RDMX or RDGX (I think), 1604 is the size, ie
    Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 10 Pcs CARBOLOY RDMX 1604 MOT PU40 Carbide Inserts Lathe Tools New at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Comment

It seems to be intentionally obscure and troublesome. Even when you know what the codes mean, it is still difficult to locate a proper insert.

They also seem to go obsolete faster than a smartphone.... One year that is the favorite style, the next year nobody has anything for "that old style holder".

I've been looking for an insert type for a big carbide boring bar I have. I have one insert left, and the bar is absolutely wonderful to use. But I will need more inserts. The combination of shape, I.C. size, rake type, thickness, etc which is needed has not yet been found. Either the rake s wrong, or the other things are only available in a different size.

If it was just thickness, I can handle that with a hardened filler piece, but so far that has not been the only issue.

It may be cheaper for me to just to scrap the couple lb of carbide it is composed of and forget I ever had it, even though it is the best boring bar I have ever used, and was quite expensive new (I got it used).

Some things are more expensive in time as well as money to get working than going a different way and just scrapping what you have.
      CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
      Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
      Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
      I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
      Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

I dunno, that took me about 5s to find. R = round, inserts typically have a 4 letter code, so RD.X had to be RDMX or RDGX (I think there are other edge precision grades, but can't remember them). Sometimes manufacturers make weird obscure proprietary inserts just so you have to buy your inserts from them, but this isn't one of those cases.

Comment

Searching inserts on Ebay, it actually helps top be less specific. Search for RDMX 1604 and a bunch of choices come up

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...SERTS&_sacat=0

After that, use the given insert's mfg to determine what the carbide grade they have listed is good for.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I have a heck of a time figuring out what size insert fits what,
            In my shop, I started getting into inserts with the basic triangle
            shape inserts. I get the 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch inscribed circle
            idea, and the positive and negative rake deal. But sometimes
            the thickness is the clincher. I have had inserts that were just
            a bit thinner, and it makes the inscribed circle seem smaller.
            And then I found some 7/32 inscribed circle inserts, that I
            thought were 1/4".
            One way I have solved this is with money.
            I just started buying SHARS toolholders and I like them because
            they laser engrave the insert number on the shank of the holder
            and the part number for the screw and clamp, etc.
            That way I always know what to use and where to buy replacements.
            Genius really.

--Doozer
            DZER

Comment

Carbide Depot has many online resources: http://www.carbidedepot.com/resources.aspx
              Failing that, call or email with the Kenna tooling part #

Comment

Originally posted by outlawspeeder View Post
                I got this for $20.45 in an auction. I am looking for inserts and I can't figure it out. Can someone help me figure out round inserts.

Kennametal100mm Cut Diam, 8mm Max Depth, 32mm Arbor Hole, 55mm High, Indexable Copy Face Mill Takes 7 Inserts, RD.X 1604... Insert Style, Series KDM

The Kennametal site gives " RD_X1604M0_ " for an insert. Looking at the chart I get these for General Purpose Steel: RD S X1604M0 HP, RD S X1604M0 GN

I can't find one on Ebay
                I don't know about Kennametal currently. In the past they were notorious for using only proprietary inserts in their cutting tool holders. That way they locked you into buying from them. Kennametal doesn't seem to be so prominent in the market as I remember way back in the day so the Chinese aren't quite so likely to counterfeit proprietary inserts.

Comment

Carbide inserts from China.....I have mixed feelings about these. You get an insert at a bargain price. On the other hand there's a 99.9% chance it's counterfeit.

Comment

I think they have a big enough market, both domestic and overseas, and carbide insert making isn't exactly rocket science, that whatever you get are actual inserts that work. Obviously, a pack of Sandvik inserts for $10 aren't likely to be Sandvik, but they will work nonetheless. I have cheap'n'nasty and genuine Mitsubishi CCMT inserts and I can't tell the difference between them at the level I work at. I've found that zimi-hk on ebay sells good inserts at a good price, I typically get all of mine from them.

Comment

Seems perfectly simple to me, they give the ISO sizes that the whole world except North America uses.

Comment

What is an ISO size?
                        Who are they?
                        What seems perfectly simple?

-D
                        DZER

Comment

I did something similar. I used the uber-cheap import sets from Bang good and Amazon etc. until I learned the nomenclature, and discovered which ones I liked and used the most. You know the $50 7- piece sets. Then I decided to standardize on only 2 shapes of inserts: CCxT and DCxT (for detail work). So I went to latheinserts.com and bought several holders in those styles, TMX brand. Very high quality for the price, I think they're Polish.

Once I had the insert and holder style selected, I decided to go with the ground-sharp inserts for aluminum instead of the molded inserts. I found that they work just fine on everything, and the lathe likes them a lot better because of lower cutting pressure. A SB 9A is not a horsepower beast. FWIW all my inserts are xxGT with a 3/8 IC for 1/2" shank holders, 5/32 thick. I stocked up on the super-cheap inserts via Amazon and have no trouble at all with the Shanghai xianping stuff. Its one hell of a deal, I can get enough inserts to last me 10 yrs for less than a dinner at a fancy restaurant.

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                          I have a heck of a time figuring out what size insert fits what,
                          In my shop, I started getting into inserts with the basic triangle
                          shape inserts. I get the 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch inscribed circle
                          idea, and the positive and negative rake deal. But sometimes
                          the thickness is the clincher. I have had inserts that were just
                          a bit thinner, and it makes the inscribed circle seem smaller.
                          And then I found some 7/32 inscribed circle inserts, that I
                          thought were 1/4".
                          One way I have solved this is with money.
                          I just started buying SHARS toolholders and I like them because
                          they laser engrave the insert number on the shank of the holder
                          and the part number for the screw and clamp, etc.
                          That way I always know what to use and where to buy replacements.
                          Genius really.

--Doozer
                          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

I can't believe you don't know, Doozer, all three of the links originate in the USA.
                            Try www.carbidedepot.com

Comment

Doozer -- ISO? Agee If this is the way, someone need to explain this to me please.

DR -- this is from Spain
                              -- proprietary inserts got that. Is there a market to make insets to fit these old holders?? Someone, anyone...

mattthemuppet -- costly for a home shop guy.
                              -- What does 1604 mean?

Weird S -- Thank you looking there next

Comment

Working...
                              X