Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O/T: Computer help. Domain Name and Licensing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O/T: Computer help. Domain Name and Licensing?

I want to lock in a Domain "name" and want to protect it.

Is there a way or is it just a jungle out there with domain names?

Its so confusing.. JR

I registered mine with Godaddy. Mail forwarding is free through another party but I'm not happy with that one. Could be done through the former for a fee as well.

Comment

Keep paying the renewal fees and you keep control of it. If someone else thinks they have a right to that name and you already have it registered then they have to prove the fact. to the satisfaction of the domain name registry. We registered my ex employer's name in something like 300 forms and countries. God alone knows why we bothered. 😣
      Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

It confusing, here's some my experience with it. Like anything else, its not confusing once you know it but its a world catering to computer types so for a layperson there is lots of lingo, a million acronyms and a learning curve. Its rarely explained well enough that the beginner can go and do all they need to do .

You basically pick someone like Godaddy (I'm there, but have a growing aversion to companies with stupid names) and register your domain. Go to their site and check it out. There will be a spot where you type a name in and they tell if you its available. If you want it, get the credit card out and pay for however many years want. It'll stay yours so long as you keep renewing it.

That's the claiming of your stake. Doesn't do anything for you yet, but the domain www.whatever.??? is yours.

To make it useful you add email functionality and maybe a web site - that's called hosting. You need register then pay for hosting. I dropped godaddy for hosting as email but have them as domain register. Price was going up seemingly 50% a year so I switched to hostgator for web hosting and email. You go into GD and direct traffic from their hosting to somewhere else like HG. Cheap and fairly easy to use, I learned shared server hosting sucks for email - as spammers use the server until HG shuts them down, you got caught in the cross fire and your email addy gets blacklisted. i.e. you go to email a customer and it won't go through their filters.

otoh a dedicated server is expensive. Since I've left web sites on host gater but move email to Zoho which is awesome, best of both worlds. Really solid email for $1/month and low cost share hosting for web sites (HG) which seems to work just fine. It was a pain splitting, but I found it necessary to get both low cost hosting for web sites and professional quality email at a low cost (and not on a shared server)

Anyway, trials and tribulations but securing the domain is easy.....just that other than calling it yours, it doesn't do anything for you until you wade through all the other crap
        Last edited by Mcgyver; 05-29-2021, 07:59 AM.
        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Hopefully the domain you are looking at is not yet registered and you don't have to deal with buying it from the current owner. You can check on network-tools.com using the whois search to determine if the domain is registered.

If it's in the clear, go buy the domain, but make sure to set up whatever registration anonymizer service the domain reseller uses. if you don't you will be inundated with spam about buying your domain or SEO nonsense. I usually buy 2-3 years at a time for my domain because it's cheaper and I don't have to remember to do it all the time.

Once you own the domain, most registrars will let you set up a lock on ownership where you have to do extra work to transfer it out, so it is in theory not possible for someone to impersonate you and buy it out from under you without your knowledge, or buy it when you forget to renew on time and the registrar auctions it off (it's all automated, and these are vultures we're dealing with on both ends).

I have used godaddy for a long time and they're rather convenient, and it's a thing I only have to touch once every year so I've been using them for a long time. Network solutions sucks, so don't go with them. I also do email forwarding to another email provider, which is fairly easy to set up using mx records in your domain config.
          -paul

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
            It confusing, here's some my experience with it. Like anything else, its not confusing once you know it but its a world catering to computer types so for a layperson there is lots of lingo, a million acronyms and a learning curve. Its rarely explained well enough that the beginner can go and do all they need to do .

You basically pick someone like Godaddy (I'm there, but have a growing aversion to companies with stupid names) and register your domain. Go to their site and check it out. There will be a spot where you type a name in and they tell if you its available. If you want it, get the credit card out and pay for however many years want. It'll stay yours so long as you keep renewing it.

That's the claiming of your stake. Doesn't do anything for you yet, but the domain www.whatever.??? is yours.

To make it useful you add email functionality and maybe a web site - that's called hosting. You need register then pay for hosting. I dropped godaddy for hosting as email but have them as domain register. Price was going up seemingly 50% a year so I switched to hostgator for web hosting and email. You go into GD and direct traffic from their hosting to somewhere else like HG. Cheap and fairly easy to use, I learned shared server hosting sucks for email - as spammers use the server until HG shuts them down, you got caught in the cross fire and your email addy gets blacklisted. i.e. you go to email a customer and it won't go through their filters.

otoh a dedicated server is expensive. Since I've left web sites on host gater but move email to Zoho which is awesome, best of both worlds. Really solid email for $1/month and low cost share hosting for web sites (HG) which seems to work just fine. It was a pain splitting, but I found it necessary to get both low cost hosting for web sites and professional quality email at a low cost (and not on a shared server)

Anyway, trials and tribulations but securing the domain is easy.....just that other than calling it yours, it doesn't do anything for you until you wade through all the other crap
            HG being hostgator? I had used them for a couple of years and moved to godaddy. At the time, godaddy was easier to deal with (namely: not have to talk to anybody to move domains), but this was over a decade ago.

I agree that the shared server email thing is a trap because someone on your IP will most likely have been blacklisted for spam activity, so your emails will be unreliable since many mail servers use RBL or the other anti-spam lists that will blackhole you based on that tainted IP.
            -paul

Comment

Doesn't your ISP provide email and if so why do you not use that? Or is this for email associated with the website?
              A few years ago my club got stung by the webhost who offered ie assigned without asking, a free upgrade of things we didn't need. Then on renewal they made the fee including upgrade very close to last year, but for only 6 months. So the Treasurer didn't notice as the cost looked the same.

Comment

I use Startlogic as my domain registrar, and also to host my website and my main email account. They have done a good job. I signed up for auto-renew for my domain names and hosting fees.

One thing I've noticed: Around renewal time for a domain name, I start getting renewal notices from various registrars. If I would respond to one of those, it apparently authorizes them to take over as registrar. It's kind of a sleazy practice.

Ed
                For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                  I want to lock in a Domain "name" and want to protect it.
                  Is there a way or is it just a jungle out there with domain names? Its so confusing.. JR
                  Go to GoDaddy and ask for the name you want. If it is taken, then you can only buy it and they :may: tell you how much .
                  If it is not taken, then you can register for it and pay the fee, which must be renewed after a period of time..You decide when

Hosting a website is a whole nuther issue
                  Rich

Green Bay, WI

Comment

Take note that if all you are interested in doing is reserving a domain name, it's really cheap ... like 15 bucks a year. You do not need to have your
                    domain name hosted.

I give them out as birthday and Christmas presents ... Once people realize what they have, they think it is pretty cool.

John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Choose the company to register your domain - the registrar - carefully. I would never use godaddy. I have used gandi.net for over 20 years. The reasons why are beyond the scope of this reply. Most registrars are to be avoided.

How you verify the availability of domains that interest you is critical. Because some registrars will reserve/steal your domain the moment you search for it, and then extort you. Again, I use gandi.net.

Comment

I use Epik.com. I got what I wanted for less than $30 for 10 years. It was $2 something a year. Just know . net or .com will be a lot more money vs something like .top or .uno.

Comment

I've been using Mydomain.com. Each domain is about $15-$25 per year. For hosting I use 1and1.com, which also handles my email. My ISP is Verizon FIOS. They used to host email but then transferred accounts to AOL.
                          http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Working...
                          X