Finished putting together my South Bend wide (heavy?) 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished putting together my South Bend wide (heavy?) 9

Finally finished putting it all together, it's only taken just over 7 months

All put together
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.JPG
Views:	578
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	1944724

backsplash installed

Name:	IMG_0016.JPG
Views:	526
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	1944725
    running

Name:	IMG_0017.JPG
Views:	547
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	1944726

few things left to do - make some QCTP holders for the FIMs post (AXA equivalent), make a chuck key, get the 4 jaw sorted, but it's all done! Now I just need to fix my Atlas and sell it, so I can move around my garage again.

Very nice. Looks like it was well worth the time and effort. The back splash looks great.
    If it wasn't done the hard way, I didn't do it.

Lillooet
    British Columbia
    Canada.

Comment

thank you! I have to stop myself going out to the garage just to look at it I'm really happy with the back splash - I used my friends box brake (which I helped him drag home) to make it and the lip along the top will be a rack for the QC tool holders once I make them.

Comment

Looks great!

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
        I have to stop myself going out to the garage just to look at it
        Why? It really is OK to look over your work and feel satisfied - promise!

the lip along the top will be a rack for the QC tool holders once I make them.
        The top of my backsplash was too wide to take my QC holders directly, so I simply attached a piece of 3/4" angle aluminum. It looks like yours will hold them nicely as is. Simple is cool.

Comment

I made a guess as to how tall the lip needs to be to hold the holders (don't have any yet) so fingers crossed it works out. The extra angle underneath is to help support the weight, as the back part is 16ga alu. Should be ok, but it's easier to add it now than later!

Had a bit of fun fiddle farting around with the lathe. Got rid of the gear cover interference and then fixed the ear on the gear box cover that some previous owner brazed on crooked.

It's already dripping oil everywhere, which is a great thing to see

Comment

Looks good!
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

thanks! Now I have the choice of either fixing the Atlas (boo), which'll allow me to sell it and get it out of my way (yay!), or I can make a bunch of QC toolholders so I can use my new lathe (double yay). hmm...

Comment

Nice job Matt ,how many HP is the DC Motor and what rpm does it run at.

Comment

That looks fabulous, congratulations!

Jerry

Comment

Nice, I like the variable speed control setup. It could be the angle of the picture, but the DRO seems like a far reach.

Stu

Comment

thanks TTT, Jerry and Stu! I took Joel's advice and went out and looked at it some more

TTT - it's a 2HP continuous at 4000rpm treadmill motor with the fan on the back and a 2 step polyV pulley I made on the other end. Made it 2 step because I figured I might as well, but I've only ever used the smallest step (about 1" diameter). I'll be making a 3 step polyV countershaft pulley once I get it tooled up which in theory will give me 200-600, 400-850 and 700- ~1500rpm at the spindle, though I'll probably make a bigger countershaft to motor pulley as I think the actual numbers will end up on the high side. Currently I get ~500-1500+ if I run it wide open, that's with a countershaft to spindle pulley a bit bigger than the middle step of the 3 step one I'll be making, hence I'll need to slow things down a bit.

Stu - from edge of drip pan to the wall is 24", so the DRO touchpads are about 20" from the edge, which is comfortable enough as I'm pretty tall (6'2"). If it turns out to be a bit of a stretch in use I can add another block of wood behind it

Comment

thanks TTT, Jerry and Stu! I took Joel's advice and went out and looked at it some more

TTT - it's a 2HP continuous at 4000rpm treadmill motor with the fan on the back and a 2 step polyV pulley I made on the other end. Made it 2 step because I figured I might as well, but I've only ever used the smallest step (about 1" diameter). I'll be making a 3 step polyV countershaft pulley once I get it tooled up which in theory will give me 200-600, 400-850 and 700- ~1500rpm at the spindle, though I'll probably make a bigger countershaft to motor pulley as I think the actual numbers will end up on the high side. Currently I get ~500-1500+ if I run it wide open, that's with a countershaft to spindle pulley a bit bigger than the middle step of the 3 step one I'll be making, hence I'll need to slow things down a bit.

Was it a threaded shaft on the PTO end of motor,on my Radial Drill I cut a key way to mount a Love Joy Coupling.I’ve collected a few motors that came with keyed output shafts,largest one was 7/8” shaft.

Comment

Very nice, especially the back splash. I have to make one for my 13" South Bend and will have BXA tool holders on the top rim and to the right of the spinning chuck. Mine will be mild steel as I see it supporting more than the 10 or so BXA holders. Do you have any plans for a more rigid base to support the lathe? Anyway, well done Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post

Was it a threaded shaft on the PTO end of motor,on my Radial Drill I cut a key way to mount a Love Joy Coupling.I’ve collected a few motors that came with keyed output shafts,largest one was 7/8” shaft.
                            yes, it's one of those standard 1/2-13LH threaded shafts. The pulley has a set screw to a flat I ground on the shaft (non-threaded part? I can't remember) to guard against it unscrewing, but it hasn't been an issue in the couple of years or so it's been in use

Originally posted by nc5a View Post
                            Very nice, especially the back splash. I have to make one for my 13" South Bend and will have BXA tool holders on the top rim and to the right of the spinning chuck. Mine will be mild steel as I see it supporting more than the 10 or so BXA holders. Do you have any plans for a more rigid base to support the lathe? Anyway, well done Matt
                            Thanks! I think steel would be a good idea for BXA size holders, they're quite a bit heftier than AXA ones. This one is 16ga alu with support from the left angle bracket plus a bunch of little angle supports screwed under the edge. Should be ok and it'll certainly make cleaning up easier! Plus the wife didn't even complain when I swiped the old cookie trays from the kitchen (she blew a lid when she found her favourite one under the drill press).

No plans on reinforcing the bench under the lathe. There's 2x 3/4" boards under each feet - 7ply and MDF under the headstock and countertop and MDF under the tailstock, screwed into 2x6s going front to back and 4x4 cedar vertical supports. The headstock is tightly bolted down and the tailstock is snugged but not tightened excessively, so it can "float" a little if the wood expands or contracts. A steel bench probably would have been better but this is a pretty beefy wooden bench and it only cost me the money for the draw slides
                            Last edited by mattthemuppet; 05-31-2021, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Yes that is amazing. I read this forum a lot and I have to say the majority of you guys do incredible work/projects👍

Comment

Working...
                              X