No announcement yet.

Finished putting together my South Bend wide (heavy?) 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like Luke Skywalker is slowly becoming Darth Vader.

-D
    DZER

Comment

Originally posted by AZHTR View Post
      Yes that is amazing. I read this forum a lot and I have to say the majority of you guys do incredible work/projectsđź‘Ť
      thanks, that's much appreciated. There's some selective bias though - you don't get to see my screwups

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
      Looks like Luke Skywalker is slowly becoming Darth Vader.

-D

I can feel the pully of the Dark Side, it is futile to resist!

Comment

finally finished up a new countershaft and motor pulley so I could use a wider poly V belt (J8 instead of J6) to both slow down the countershaft a touch and reduce belt slip

the main part of the pulley was a piece of 6" round I got in trade bored out to accept the hub, which was then pressed and dutch keyed in place
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0199a.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	1965367
        used a 1" annular cutter to remove some material

Name:	IMG_0226.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	338.2 KB
ID:	1965368
        blingtastic New motor pulley on right

Name:	IMG_0391.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	1965369Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0392.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	1965370
        the static balanced on my ghetto rig

Name:	IMG_0394.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	1965371
        I had to extend the motor mounting bolt slots in the motor plate to get sufficient tension with the new belt, which was a complete PITA. 2 hours disassembly and reassembly with 10min of machining in between.

Works well though and has dropped the spindle speed for the same speed pot position by 20%. Still get a bit of slip in direct drive at low motor speeds/ high load, but it's better and it'll be even better once I finish up the 3 step countershaft pulley

Comment

Originally posted by Stu View Post
          Nice, I like the variable speed control setup. It could be the angle of the picture, but the DRO seems like a far reach.

Stu
          So apparently I didn't notice the thread first time around so I've deleted what I posted.

So how is the DRO working out where it is? It looks like it's in the spray zone for oil off the chuck. Or did you end up moving it? The pictures make it look like it's right in the path of the chuck's oil spray and could possibly also be whacked by any balls of swarf that were to get picked up and thrown by the chuck jaws.

The new countershaft pulleys look fantastic. And since I missed the thread earlier the restored lathe also looks fantastic.
          Last edited by BCRider; 10-11-2021, 01:29 PM.
          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

thanks! It's all working out pretty peachy The DRO readout is about 4-5" to the right of the spray zone - I know that as I can take a ruler and measure from the side of the DRO to the long vertical stripe of oil on my pegboard It's a good reach for me and I can use the controls without extending my upper body over the lathe. I'm pretty tall and everything is set up just right for me. If someone below 5'6" tried to use it they'd probably struggle a bit. The readout doesn't really get hit by swarf much. The occasional alu chip makes it up that high, but most of the mess hits the backsplash with a little hitting the holders.

I'm really pumped with this lathe. Still have a few projects - countershaft step pulley, threading dial, extended tailstock and new backplate for an adjust-tru chuck - but it's very useable as is.

Comment

Your pulley looks great!

Jerry

Comment

thanks Jerry! It's also almost completely hidden behind the lathe My friend told me it would look great anodised and attached to a nice big blower on top of a V8

Comment

Matt, that is a gorgeous pulley. I am impressed. Also, nice 4 jaw.
                  21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                  1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

thanks man, that's very kind! I forgot that I hadn't sent a pic of your old 4 jaw in action I still need to make a new screw for it, but I have to make a threading dial first..

Comment

Wow, nice job! It's ready for another 50 years of work!
                      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

thanks, it's getting there. It's a real pleasure to use too, which is a big plus

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                          thanks, it's getting there. It's a real pleasure to use too, which is a big plus
                          Are you gonna be able to get the RPM's down in case you ever need to? I don't recall seeing any back gear? (the range on mine is from 50 to 1200 -- but the extra torque comes in real handy sometimes.) Sometimes its easier to go slower when threading a short section etc.
                          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

absolutely! Back gear is there and I use it for higher cutting force/ low speed stuff as the belt will still slip a bit on the motor pulley. Stuff like grooving the poly V pulley. Speed can go down to pretty much 1rpm with back gears When I get the 3 step countershaft pulley made I probably won't use the backgear as much as I'll be able to get much lower speeds direct drive and still be in the motor sweet spot.

Comment

You do very nice work, to be commended well recovered machine, well done also very nice pulley
                              mark

Comment

thank you Mark, that's very kind

Comment

Working...
                                X