Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schrader valve TPI question

Hi Group,

I have a question that I thought I got the answer too, but I'm questioning what I'm reading and need someone with more smarts than me to help.

I have got these dimensions (below) but for some reason I'm having a brain fat as to what I'm reading. The stem is reading 0.21 OD on the threads and as I read it, which could be wrong, it's 36TPI with my old eyes. So what am I seeing, is the External another dimension and I need to use the internal which would be correct?

Second question, what would be the .305 - 32 TPI be?

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris

google "Schrader valve specs"

Dimensions
    • External 8V1 thread: 0.305 in (7.747 mm) x 32 TPI (1⁄32 in or 0.7938 mm pitch) (Tap size: 8v1-32)
    • Internal 5V1 thread: 0.209 in (5.309 mm) x 36 TPI ( 1⁄36 in or 0.7056 mm pitch)(Tap size: 5v1-36)

Comment

Most times 5/16-32 is close enough and taps/dies are available

Comment

The guy asking about fixing a tailstock thread... someone posted a source of cheap AcMe taps from China.. they were cheap.
        i looked at a few pages of their ebay offerings, many oddball sizes and pitches.. AND .,AND... They carry Schrader valve taps.... of all things..

Comment

Do you need to repair one / chase the threads out or just inquiring ??

I have one of those 4 in 1 tools. It works great for cleaning up the threads both ID and OD.

JL..............

Comment

Hi Guys,

Been away from the computer. The reason I asked is, I have a project that I need to drill and tap for a Schrader valve stem and when I read the spec's I got confused. In double checking your information I see the OD is for the OD of the stem it self, and I was correct with what I read the ID numbers which would be the OD of the the stem valve, not the OD of the stem itself. That was what had me going down the wrong path.

I appreciate the help.

TX
            Mr fixit for the family
            Chris

Comment

Lots of oddball tap and die sizes at Victor Machinery aka victornet.com. I have bought a lot of their tools, many special taps and dies. They are cheap, but good quality tools.
              Kansas City area

Comment

Working...
              X