Gas line fitting for yard car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas line fitting for yard car

I noticed gasoline dripping out of my yard car, it has a plastic gas tank, well after 30 years or so the rubber grommet that seals the fuel supply line gave out.
    plastic tank is smooth with a 3/4” hole. I made a new fitting with a couple of Orings to seal it up Click image for larger version

Name:	CF2A0F39-FBAA-44E6-A318-998A2167E1A6.jpeg
Views:	471
Size:	943.2 KB
ID:	1944882 Click image for larger version

Name:	D7CBBD1F-7BC9-4383-A95B-28257790A787.jpeg
Views:	457
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	1944883

Photo of yard car and my buddy, she’s men gone for 4 years. Best dog I have ever had. Click image for larger version

Name:	9DE8F323-23BF-4F51-9756-D4B15CCBDF48.jpeg
Views:	471
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	1944885

Comment

Great fix,time takes it toll on those gasoline grommets and that’s a cool machine.Hope you got a another buddy after loosing your dog!

Comment

Great fix.
        O-rings are amazingly handy.

--Doozer
        DZER

Comment

I keep a few of the John Deere plastic gas tank grommets in stock - about $5 each. Your solution is certainly more elegant and those washers look like the washers on auto shocks.
          JHC Dayton, OH

Comment

Your o-ring contraption should be on the inside of the tank. Is a stop machined into the contraption? Is the outlet located in some sort of sump? Is your part made out of stainless steel? Also, resist the temptation of over tightening the nut (unless you machined in a stop).

Comment

I didn’t have any idea where to find a tank grommet.
              No need for stainless fitting.
              outside of tank was smooth, inside of tank was rough, worked perfect.
              only worry about over tightening is twisting off the hollow stem.

Comment

Originally posted by true temper View Post
                I didn’t have any idea where to find a tank grommet.
                No need for stainless fitting.
                outside of tank was smooth, inside of tank was rough, worked perfect.
                only worry about over tightening is twisting off the hollow stem.
                Being a gasoline tank, there is the inevitable water in the bottom of the tank. Another worry about over tightening is the crushing and subsequent failure of the walls of the tank.

Comment

If it has no return, one of the best mods I have been doing lately for things like this is convert the line to a "outboard motor" type fitting. Then you can use just one fresh can of gas in a boat tank from one seldom used machine to the next. I did this with my last plow truck too and it worked a treat! No more bad gas because something isnt being used enough. Also great anti theft system.
                  Andy

Comment

Working...
                  X