Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

painting freshly bead blasted aluminum casting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting freshly bead blasted aluminum casting?

I'm making a plate roll like VPT did. My rolls will be 24" long. I intend to power them. My buddy gave me an old worm/pinion right angle gearbox for 56C motors. It's beefy - the output shaft is 1.25". As a subproject of building the plate roll I'm rebuilding this gearbox. I got it all apart and got the shafts derusted and polished. There is some pitting but I believe with new seals it will still work.

I took the main casting and four lesser castings over to lakeside53's yesterday and glass bead blasted them. Of course, they look incomparably better. Now I want to get some paint on them. It's been years since I painted bare aluminum. It seems to me I used some kind of self-etching primer followed by top coats. I also seem to remember I had problems with fisheyes and had to sand and recoat many times to finally get a decent finish.

What is the best way to paint bare aluminum castings?

metalmagpie

The easy way, and it may be fine. = Clean, use an appropriate etching primer, then paint it.
    The sure fire way = Sand it, clean thoroughly, immediately treat with alodine, then zinc chromate primer (or whatever the available equivalent of it is at the moment), topcoat with a couple coats of paint.
    Last edited by Joel; 06-01-2021, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Powder coat

Comment

Wouldn't think you'd need a self-etching primer on beadblasted castings, just a normal spray can automotive primer followed by your choice of topcoat. Fisheyes are, in my experience, the result of moisture.

You planning to use a gun or spray cans?

-js
        There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

I find that "Sand Blasting" versus Bead blasting gives better adhesion
          Also no touching the part without gloves on .
          I second the Zinc-Chomate application suggestion and as quickly as possible after blasting

rich
          Green Bay, WI

Comment

You might try Alumiprep on the bare metal, but for some reason the recommendations say not for castings. No idea why.

-js
            There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

PPG makes a very durable industrial primer (single-part) that works extremely well on, and is recommended for, aluminum and steel both. If you're interested I'll get you the part number.
              Southwest Utah

Comment

I forgot about Alumiprep, which is a phosphoric acid based cleaner IIRC. Lye cleans the hell out of aluminum too, but it can do a good job of eating it if left in contact too long.
                The only time I have gotten fisheyes was when I didn't clean well enough and some residual oils or whatnot were missed. Silicone is the worst.
                I generally clean either with detergent and water, followed by a good rinsing, or with just alcohol - especially on smaller parts.

The last few years I have been getting pretty lazy, and have had good luck by just sanding/blasting/whatever, cleaning and using alodine, followed by regular primer and a coat of paint.

Comment

Clean it, self-etching primer, quality paint

Regarding the bead- vs sand-blasting adhesion issue Rich mentioned, sandblasting etches the surface and gives the finish something to grab onto, beadblasting just burnishes the surface, doesnt do much for adhesion. Companies that make firearm coatings, like cerakote, recommend against beadblasting for that exact reason

Comment

Like Joel says, Alodine treat the surface after a thorough de-grease. Then prime /paint. Don't skip the Alodine if you want it to last... I usually apply the Alodine (diluted with water as per directions) using a Scotch-brite pad. Or blast with an abrasive as also mentioned. Glass beads polish and is a very poor coating prep.

Comment

In the UK, we would just spray or brush Hammerite paint straight on.

Comment

Fisheyes are, in my experience, the result of silicone.
                        we're all differently experienced.

I've found that once aluminum castings are blasted
                        (wheels, in my case, but close enough)
                        the etch is too aggressive. Aluminum's so reactive, it starts corroding.

Honestly, the Hammerite is a good idea- it goes on really thin, and you give it 3 or 4 coats.
                        DO read the recoat instructions really carefully- I have messed that up before, and it's ugly.

Otherwise, just about any primer for aluminum, then the topcoat that matches the primer.

t
                        rusting in Seattle

Comment

Do you have a build thread for the roller? I'd like to see!

After blasting I just brake clean the parts, don't touch them, and right to paint.
                          Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post
                            Wouldn't think you'd need a self-etching primer on beadblasted castings, just a normal spray can automotive primer followed by your choice of topcoat. Fisheyes are, in my experience, the result of moisture.

You planning to use a gun or spray cans?

-js
                            Fish eyes can be caused by several things, mostly oil films from improperly prepped surfaces. Moisture in the air line is another cause.
                            Aluminum castings of poor quality with pin holes can cause what looks like fish eyes.

I remember when I was in my teens I was in a paint shop. There was a window repair company replacing a wind shield three bays down. The guy had a spray can of silicone and was spraying it around the edge of the window frame where the rubber gasket fits. Later that day the owner painted a car and it fish eyed
                            all over. It was from the silicone.

JL..................
                            Last edited by JoeLee; 06-08-2021, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Most of the two part epoxy primers like RM Diamont EP-569 work well on aluminum. I've used that stuff for years on all my machine castings, alum. and cast iron.
                              For polyester spray fill I use Evercoat, like this stuff here. It will cover pin holes in castings. https://evercoat.com/all-products/us/?find=g2

JL...................

Comment

Working...
                              X