I cannot machine with my hat on !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I cannot machine with my hat on !

Perhaps just habit, or maybe a peculiar phobia, I simply cannot machine anything while wearing a hat.
    In summer I play a lot with my steam driven models in our back garden. Sometimes I make modifications which entail making new parts or modifying existing ones.
    My workshop is in a cool basement, So I walk down the stairs and literally feel compelled to remove my hat before getting on with the job.
    Anyone else have this or any similar compulsion?
    Regards to all David Powell

Nope. In point of fact, when doing heavy roughing with certain machines and tooling I used to pull my hat down close over my eyes, button my shirt all the way to my neck, put on gloves and tape my long sleeves to the gloves. Otherwise I'd almost certainly end up with burning hot chips in places I didn't want them and that weren't very comfortable, to say the least.

Comment

I can't either. Blocks my light.
      21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
      1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Ditto!
        I'll wear a ball cap at times when outside in order to keep the sun or rain off of my face.

As soon as I'm in the shop it comes off since the brim gets in the way when doing up-close work, any kind of precise measurements or setups on the lathe or mill.
        All at once that brim takes on the specter of a full sized awning.
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I usually knock my hat off when I put my shop apron on...

Jerry

Comment

I guess it is better than not being able to weld with your pants on.

-D
            DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
              I guess it is better than not being able to weld with your pants on.

-D
              "co-ed naked bacon frying!"
              25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

I hate wearing a hat, but do wear one when working outside to keep the sun from burning my scalp. Also dosing it with insect repellent helps to keep the mosquitos from feasting on the bald spots. The problem is the cap's band makes my forehead itch, so I'm constantly wiggling the cap around to scratch the itch. It's a distraction that I would rather not deal with while machining. Actually, the requirement to wear a hat was one of the reasons that I left the Air Force after serving one four year hitch. There were others of course, but the hat thing just added to the mix.
                Last edited by Dave C; 06-02-2021, 01:26 PM.
                “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

In all fairness, I find a baseball type hat with a visor
                  helps shield the top of my safety glasses and helps
                  prevent metal chips from falling behind them.
                  Wearing a hat in the shop is also a good for bump
                  protection for your head. I have on numerous
                  occasions gotten up from a crouched position and
                  hit my head on something, only to be saved a contusion
                  because I was wearing my cap. Hats are more safer,
                  more better.

--Doozer
                  DZER

Comment

Safety glasses are more important when using machinery, so you are good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                      I have on numerous
                      occasions gotten up from a crouched position and
                      hit my head on something, only to be saved a contusion
                      because I was wearing my cap. Hats are more safer,
                      more better.

--Doozer
                      I actually bump my head far more often when wearing a hat in the shop, so take it off for that reason. I find that the brim blocks the sight of things that are at the right level to bonk me. But then, I may just be a clumsy bastard.

George
                      Traverse City, MI

Comment

We were issued safety hats like baseball caps, I don't wear mine, the headroom is 9 feet in the workshop.

Comment

I'm just the opposite from you guys. I wear a welders/millwright cap all the time in the shop but I wear it with the soft flexible brim in the back. It doesn't cause problems with my face shield or ear protection. I also wear it under my welding hood. For clarity purposes, the hats are specially made for welders, fitters, millwrights etc and don't have a hard button on top and have a soft flexible bill.

In my defense I live in Alaska and I'm a little short on hair on my head so warmth is important..

Comment

Originally posted by George Bulliss View Post

I actually bump my head far more often when wearing a hat in the shop, so take it off for that reason. I find that the brim blocks the sight of things that are at the right level to bonk me. But then, I may just be a clumsy bastard.
                            Same.
                            21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                            1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

A wool chapeau makes a good bump cap
                              and no visor.

-D
                              DZER

Comment

Working...
                              X