Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OFF TOPIC Self driving lawn mowers,whats the holdup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFF TOPIC Self driving lawn mowers,whats the holdup?

I see the progress that is being made with self driving cars going down streets with all sorts of crazy drivers and changing obstacles to contend with. It seems that these guys could prograrm a backyard mower in a days time..Why does a person need to sit on a mower for hours year after year and repeat what they did a week ago? Whats the holdup? Edwin Dirnbeck

Autonomous lawnmowers have been around for several years now..... Husqvarna is one maker....
    If it wasn't done the hard way, I didn't do it.

Lillooet
    British Columbia
    Canada.

Comment

Good question, you'd think the people who pay a "landscape" service or those that own such a business would be first in line .
      https://www.gcmonline.com/course/env...se-maintenance
      Last edited by reggie_obe; 06-04-2021, 11:06 AM.

Comment

I remember the old "Homer Price" movies where the kid made an automatic lawnmower by tying a rope onto the handle of a self-propelled mower, with the rope wound up around a tree or a stake. As the mower propelled itself around in circles the rope gradually unwound, eventually cutting the whole lawn. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer_Price
        Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 06-04-2021, 11:08 AM. Reason: added link
        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

From what I understand they have been around in Europe for a number of years, but are just starting to hit the NA market. My wife’s uncles in the Netherlands have them, looks like a battle bot and has a docking/charging station. Husqvarna I think.
          Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
            I remember the old "Homer Price" movies where the kid made an automatic lawnmower by tying a rope onto the handle of a self-propelled mower, with the rope wound up around a tree or a stake. As the mower propelled itself around in circles the rope gradually unwound, eventually cutting the whole lawn. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer_Price
            Wow, I clicked on the link and immediately recognized the donut machine on the book's cover! I must have checked that book out from the library when I was a kid. What an unexpected bout of nostalgia. 😀

Comment

Originally posted by Galaxie View Post

Wow, I clicked on the link and immediately recognized the donut machine on the book's cover! I must have checked that book out from the library when I was a kid. What an unexpected bout of nostalgia. 😀
              I can't remember what I did or what I ate on Monday, but I can remember stuff like that. Go figure.
              25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

There's a big place along the local golf course that has a couple Husqvarnas roaming the backyard. They are big McMansion type homes with a couple acre lots, and IMO the cut looks like garbage compared to the neighbors who probably have a service cut it. Just my opinion but it looks out of place on a giant multi million dollar house to have the lawn cut all haphazardly. They'd be great for smaller yards, or different housing though. A battery powered goat essentially .

I don't know how they program, but you should be able to program them like a CNC. Either using a lace cycle, or collapsing spiral. GPS linked CAM system, so you can program all your obstacles and boundaries

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post

I don't know how they program, but you should be able to program them like a CNC. Either using a lace cycle, or collapsing spiral. GPS linked CAM system, so you can program all your obstacles and boundaries
                  Just be sure to check the plot carefully so you don't have any rapids though an island (tree).

George
                  Traverse City, MI

Comment

most manufactures have a model or two. Market share in Europe is much larger than here. Almost all take the form factor a small electric vehicle - like as was mentioned the battlebot look. imo they are not there yet and involve lots of compromises, i.e. burying location cables etc.

As I understand it, GPS accuracy is with a few meters. I'm assuming the cars do it by scanning and recognizing things vs pinpoint GPS accuracy. I've read stuff about getting the accuracy down to 1/2", maybe the cars are already there, but accuracy like that would open things up for this imo
                    Last edited by Mcgyver; 06-04-2021, 01:47 PM.
                    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

They already have very big ones, combine harvesters, if you have the money.

Comment

I worked on one back in '82, funded by one of the Commodore computer entrepreneurs, also vacuum cleaner for Hoover. Saw one at Wisley (big UK garden showcase) which was programmed to cut their logo in a little lawn near the entrance.

Comment

Yes there are plenty of small battery powered robo mowers that cut continuously and then go back home and recharge.. They depend on a buried wire for the perimeter and other such things and are very limited and slow. Mostly for fenced in small yards. I am thinking of a conventional 15 hp riding mower with a gasoline engine. I wouldn’t mind sitting and drinking a beer and watching it for an hour or two or three just as long as I didn’t have to be sitting on it smelling the fumes and getting bounced around. Even if it missed the perimeter and islands by a few feet ,that would be okay. Edwin Dirnbeck
                          Last edited by Edwin Dirnbeck; 06-04-2021, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Cost.
                            For hobbyists buying a $140.00 push mower at an Estate sale for $20.00 is a SCORE.

Most are unlikely to give this up.
                            https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...garden&sr=1-29

For this.
                            https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-430...a-786058356902

For many this is more expensive then a lathe or milling machine, the general dislike of NC machine tools is irony at its best.
                            https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...ProductID=4962
                            Last edited by Bented; 06-04-2021, 03:29 PM.

Comment

For the larger estate - God invented sheep.

Comment

Working...
                              X