Shars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shars?

Just received a 24" scale from Ebay seller, company's name is Shars. He also sent a catalog; never heard of that name before? Has anyone ordered from Shars before? Even though it's a Chinese scale, it's almost as flat and paralell as Evan's mill table; even though he was using a warped straightedge as reference! Sorry Evan, just had to throw that in! Most of their stuff is priced VERY low,so, wondering if you guys had tried any of their tooling? Had to sell all my Expensive Starret and B&S tooling years ago; due to injuries, so now I'm trying cheaper sources in order to replace them. Why spend Megabucks if you can no longer EARN the Megabucks? Know what I mean? Thanks!

BFH,
    They have a website. I bought a chinkanese mill vise at Industrial Pipe and Steel. It was from Shars.

BTW, why you using a scale as a straight edge? You should know better

Comment

Evan used the warped straightedge as reference; not me! You know, you gotta' love the guy!

Comment

Even though my straightedge is warped I have determined that if I make all measurements in a north-northwest or south-southeast orientation the slight warpage is perfectly compensated by the unusual mass concentration anomaly from a known iron ore body that exists to the south-west of my property. I have determined this by measuring the phase delay in the P waves detected by my seismograph when it records earthquakes off the coast of Vancouver Island.

I had to take some extraordinary measures when aligning my lathe in order to account for the local distortion of the gravitational field but it seems to have worked out so far.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Well, I think the unusual mass and the gravitational field is some of the alignment and leveling problems some members are having with their machine tools; due to the frequency they may visit the Titty bars and driving distance to and from such establishments depending on which latitude and longitude the journey starts and ends. Contributing factors could also be the frame of mind that one has at the time, whether they have Norm as their bodyguard, or else he is riding along for a good time, there are just too many possibilities to fathom as a scenario to align yourself in any one direction. Man, I hope you get that phase thing worked out in your favor!

Comment

I have dozen of virus sized black hole scattered around my shop to correct local gravitational distortions. Sheesh! Will the BS never end.

Shars has almost afffordable clone toolholders for the Multifix 40 position spline type tool post. I happen to have the "B" size and the Shars tool holder fits it. They also have granite squares in several sizes but I couldn't swear to their accuracy. I bought one but haven't got around to checking it.
            Last edited by Forrest Addy; 04-21-2006, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
              Even though my straightedge is warped I have determined that if I make all measurements in a north-northwest or south-southeast orientation the slight warpage is perfectly compensated by the unusual mass concentration anomaly from a known iron ore body that exists to the south-west of my property. I have determined this by measuring the phase delay in the P waves detected by my seismograph when it records earthquakes off the coast of Vancouver Island.

I had to take some extraordinary measures when aligning my lathe in order to account for the local distortion of the gravitational field but it seems to have worked out so far.
              Evan,
              What about the curvature of the earth on a long bed lathe ??

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Time( Eek) for a plug on the Megalithic Mile by Prof Thom.

Well, Evan, you are into such things. Like to comment?

The Black Dog

Comment

This is ground control to Major Thom. There they go again.....another tangent. Good morning, Gents

Comment

Shars

I too recently found Shars in my quest for affordable tools (read "cheap"). Have purchased several items,-- ER40 collet set, DRO set-up for mill, 5C collet set, and just last wk, 4 spare tool holders for the Phase 11 QCTP, all were quite nice (considering where manufactured) and shipping was really fast. I find their web site really clunky/goofy, so I've just been phoning orders.
                    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Major Thom to Millman,

If you can understand it, you have to go off at a tangent!
                      It's the Shekinah.

Not an American thingy, your country is far too young to understand what real history is all about. I keep telling you but it is all in vain.

Now start Google-ing.

Cheers from one of the Grooved Ware People.

Comment

Yeah. Aren't they
                        "Discount Tool" on Ebay?
                        If so They have a warehouse in StCharles, Illinois. Been there. Sort of like Enco used to be before they went digital. There are no europeans at all in the office. It makes it difficult to get a point across because only one employee speaks any type of english, almost, sort of. They do speak dollar though. That's where I got my $117.00 dollar toolpost.

Comment

Yeah. Aren't they
                          "Discount Tool" on Ebay?
                          If so They have a warehouse in StCharles, Illinois. Been there. Sort of like Enco used to be before they went digital. There are no europeans at all in the office. It makes it difficult to get a point across because only one employee speaks any type of english, almost, sort of. They do speak dollar though. That's where I got my $117.00 dollar toolpost.

Comment

Originally posted by NORMAN ATKINSON

Not an American thingy, your country is far too young to understand what real history is all about. I keep telling you but it is all in vain.

Cheers from one of the Grooved Ware People.
                            Ar One of my co-workers is from where there was a burgeoning society when the islanders and continentals were still swinging from the trees, if they were even there. Possibly they hadn't been tossed out for swearing yet and so had not had to go to those ice places ("n" suppressed on purpose).

But a short step from grooved ware to groovy, and back to the trees.

But I think I know what the local gravitational disturbance is, the problem is that material is usually not so dense. Unless Evan has a mass grave of politicians nearby..............

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

The politicians here compete in a contest each year to see who can throw a dried cow patty the farthest. The winner gets his choice of rope...

There they go again.....another tangent.
                              You started it.
                              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                              X