[OT] Experience with taxis, Uber, Lyft, jitneys, and other ride options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [OT] Experience with taxis, Uber, Lyft, jitneys, and other ride options

I need a ride from my house to my mechanic's shop to pick up my truck. It is only about 2 miles but it has become too dangerous to walk because of the aggressive drivers and lack of sidewalks or shoulders. I've left messages with friends and neighbors but have not heard back from them. I have never used Uber, and I just got an on-line estimate of about $9. The estimate for a taxi is about $8 with tip. I'm OK with the cost - I would spend at least that on lunch for a friend or neighbor. Sorry to start an OT thread on this but perhaps someone has had experience, or would benefit from my own. TIY
    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
    USA Maryland 21030

Ive used Uber a few times, cant say ive ever really had a problem. The drivers have been polite, showed up in a reasonable time, and got me were i needed to be without much fuss. Honeslty, not a whole lot different than a cab company, only real difference is youre getting someones private vehicle instead of some old crown vic fleet car. I will confess that im not too fond of Uber as a company, but ive got nothing against the service and its a necessary evil at times. I dont like Walmart either, but i still shop there, sometimes you gotta do what you have to

Comment

I mostly drive but uber frequently enough (if hoping from place to place or to and from the mechanic). Its a great service, much preferred to a taxi...in this market anyway. You don't know the cost of the cab until afterward, but based on experience I'd say uber is 1/2 - 2/3rds the cost of a cab. That's in urban area, don't know in the sticks...but I ubered 180km once when the car broke down at it was $200 cdn. Would have expected double that for a cab.

The application of a well thought out codified process and communication has simply created a superior service offering. Its like wheels on suitcases, such a great idea that works so well you wonder why it wasn't thought of sooner - which some say is the hallmark of a great invention. The feedback loop rids it of crappy cars/drivers. Seems like there is always one around the corner (unlike cabs supply temporarily bulges to meet demand), the cars are neater, its all done on the credit card, never worry about cash or tipping, price optimization means there is always one available, they don't complain, even if its a short ride, drivers are better, the phone application is so much easier than calling some rude semi literate dispatch and hoping he/she wrote it down, its all GPS - they know where you are, you can see them driving toward you so keep working until its time to grab your coat etc (vs 20 min after the cabs eta looking out window wondering if the cab is around the corner or they forgot about your call), you can communicate directly with the driver, and so on.

Cabs are for luddites without a phone. I don't think anyone who's used both to any extent would say there is much of a comparison
      Last edited by Mcgyver; 06-05-2021, 06:40 AM.
      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Not got the app but a few years ago in central London with my nephew he just casually fiddled with his phone, he was able to say 'here it is' as the car turned up, driver knew we were the customer and where to go without words spoken, arrived and just got out and walked off. Seamless interaction. I asked nephew how much to pay him but he didn't know or care. Like credit cards it makes spending money easy and fits the youngsters carefree and carfree lifestyle. Also I think makes it easy in foreign countries.

Comment

Have had to use Uber quite often recently here in Australia. Mostly very happy with the service overall. Very few issues and have been refunded a few times when not happy with the driver. Quite a bit cheaper than cabs here and much better service.
          Nev.

Comment

Uber is better than regular taxis here in every aspect. It's not very popular yet as regular taxi drivers hunted them down and beat them up, but apparently it's spreading.

Comment

I used to travel a lot for my job. I did not use Uber so much, but I had many coworkers who stopped bothering to get rental cars while traveling for work even though the company would pay for a rental car. We were often working in large cities where having a car is a general hassle due to lack of parking, etc. I have taken lots of uber rides and it has generally been a good experience. Among my coworkers there were a few stories of somewhat marginal experiences, but I would not let that stop me from using the service, those were few and far between exceptions and not at all a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by ikdor View Post
                Uber is better than regular taxis here in every aspect. It's not very popular yet as regular taxi drivers hunted them down and beat them up, but apparently it's spreading.
                I refuse to have a smart phone
                so I will be calling a taxi
                thank you very much.

Please explain, "better in every aspect".
                Which ones please ?

-Doozer
                DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

I refuse to have a smart phone
                  so I will be calling a taxi
                  thank you very much.
                  "enough about you, lets talk about me."

I mean really, why post? if you refuse to use a smart phone (your loss, no one else cares) how could you possibly have an informed opinion on the topic?
                  Last edited by Mcgyver; 06-05-2021, 08:41 AM.
                  in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

I use Uber and Lyft a lot for work travel. About the only time I've had problems was early on before the bad drivers, drivers who can't follow google maps, and drivers with crappy cars got weeded out by reviewers and the market. I use cabs as a last ditch, because the cars and drivers are often worse than Lyfts or Ubers. I use cabs if I get to an airport late and need to get to a downtown city hotel quickly.

Comment

I stay home...

Comment

95% of my trips have been airport runs, the very few bad experiences I've had on Lyft was a driver who had his GPS set to avoid tolls, and was going to make me miss my flight, he also couldn't read the super clear signage for Newark airport. There was another driver whose GPS was crapping out or he couldn't read it, we had to get out and get another car.

Overall it's been fantastic, far better than using local cabs, or worse, the airport cabs back which cost 2x as much. The awful thing about the cab mafia setup in the NY metro area is the turf is divided up so a NYC cab can take a fare to Newark, but isn't allowed to pick up a fare there back to the city and has to go back empty, a huge waste of fuel and his time. Only the ripoff cabs licensed in Essex County there can legally pick up at the airport.

Please explain, "better in every aspect".
                        Which ones please ?
                        -Doozer
                        • You can see what it will cost up front
                        • You can see where the driver is as he comes to your location
                        • You can see the driver name, photo, make, model and plate # of the car coming for you
                        • You don't have to scramble for cash or mess with a card at your destination, just get out and deal with the tip later if need be.
                        • If you do have a bad experience you can complain and know it will matter as part of the cumulative score.
                        • The driver always has a GPS and doesn't need to be given directions

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post
                          95% of my trips have been airport runs, the very few bad experiences I've had on Lyft was a driver who had his GPS set to avoid tolls, and was going to make me miss my flight, he also couldn't read the super clear signage for Newark airport. There was another driver whose GPS was crapping out or he couldn't read it, we had to get out and get another car.

Overall it's been fantastic, far better than using local cabs, or worse, the airport cabs back which cost 2x as much. The awful thing about the cab mafia setup in the NY metro area is the turf is divided up so a NYC cab can take a fare to Newark, but isn't allowed to pick up a fare there back to the city and has to go back empty, a huge waste of fuel and his time. Only the ripoff cabs licensed in Essex County there can legally pick up at the airport.
                          • You can see what it will cost up front
                          • You can see where the driver is as he comes to your location
                          • You can see the driver name, photo, make, model and plate # of the car coming for you
                          • You don't have to scramble for cash or mess with a card at your destination, just get out and deal with the tip later if need be.
                          • If you do have a bad experience you can complain and know it will matter as part of the cumulative score.
                          • The driver always has a GPS and doesn't need to be given directions

Thank you Gelfex.
                          I did not know how it worked.
                          Some of these things might be important to some people
                          so I can see that. So there is some safety assurance for
                          you and some leverage for the driver to do his job well.
                          I get it. Thanks for a good and well informed post.
                          To Mcgyver... I used declaratives and interrogatories.
                          I did not opine on the subject. It seems you are looking
                          to jump all over my azz for some reason. What is your
                          deal bro ??

-Doozer
                          DZER

Comment

Thank you Gelfex.
                            I did not know how it worked.
                            Now that we've settled that, we should talk about smartphones. They're insanely handy, and you don't need to spend $1000 and $100/month. Our excellent Moto G phones are under $200, have 3 day batteries, great cameras and large readable screens. We get 1gb data service with unlimited voice and texts for $10/month, but most activity is in wifi anyway. Just having a flashlight and camera with me at all times is worth the price of admission. That and being able to look up an item while I'm in the Home Depot or Lowes and have it tell me whether it's in stock and what aisle and bay it's in!

Comment

Thanks but smart phones are not in my religious belief structure.
                              America was built on religious freedom.
                              I respect your belief structure around smart phones.
                              All well and good. Just please don't try to sell your beliefs on me.
                              But again, thank you for the well informed post.

-D
                              Last edited by Doozer; 06-06-2021, 01:54 PM.
                              DZER

Comment

Working...
                              X