Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antique machinery repair, appearance and originality.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first thing to do would be to get the machine back into good working order. There might be some design improvements that you could make using modern materials. After that, a nice paint job to make it look good from a distance. A power hacksaw can save a lot of time and effort.
    Last edited by old mart; 06-07-2021, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Late to the thread, but what's wrong with an honest repair? No need to hide it.

And brazing is the best, as far as I can see, I have machines that in some cases have multiple repairs that were brazed back in some prior century, in important places. Causes no problems whatever.
      CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
        Late to the thread, but what's wrong with an honest repair? No need to hide it.

And brazing is the best, as far as I can see, I have machines that in some cases have multiple repairs that were brazed back in some prior century, in important places. Causes no problems whatever.
        Yep, brazing works just as well as anything, provided its done correctly like anything else
        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Yep, brazing works just as well as anything, provided its done correctly like anything else
          I should take some pics and post them. Most here would "sternly warn me" to scrap the machine before it causes injury.......
          CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

I should take some pics and post them. Most here would "sternly warn me" to scrap the machine before it causes injury.......
            I know of at least one Detroit Diesel engine being held together by brazing. Engine was literally shattered into fist-sized bits.
            Brazing has the same or greater strength than the parent metal, with much greater ductility.
            It is very important to do it properly, with proper prep work and post heating/ slow cooling.

Some applications require welding, for example where there will be extrememe hi temps, or if there must be a good color match.
            But for the home shop, brazing is a very valid method on castings, and plenty adequate.
            25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Working...
            X