Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning ahead... What would you pick up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning ahead... What would you pick up?

So I realize that at some point I'm going to sell the homestead and move to some sort of more compact living arrangement such as an apartment or one of those places that strains my Cream of Wheat for me. My hope is to pick up a place with two bedrooms so I can use the second for a small shop. Along that line I'd like to still have some small compact facility for turning and milling. Part of me always assumed that I'd go with A Taig. Sherline being a little over the top price wise.... But I'm wondering if perhaps I'd be better off with a mini lathe modified with a reasonable amount of the "usual" upgrades.

One aspect of the Taig option is that I could then simply buy both one of their lathes and a mill at the same time. The aim at that point to be to focus on making some small steam/air/Stirling engines and similar small model related items.

So for those of you that might have thought ahead to such a, hopefully long in the future, situation. What are your thoughts?
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Love the "Straining my Cream of Wheat" comment.
    I have had 3 good friends who were machinists/hobbyists that made the move....None were allowed to have any tools in their apartments/rooms.
    One was allowed to bring his lathe and mill and put it in the " Residents' Workshop" .
    He was able to use them, but had some issues with other residents playing with his tools when he wasn't there, and the residence director did nothing to assist him.
    Another friend donated his machine shop to a local museum and became a volunteer fixing their exhibits and building steam engines for himself
    My 3 rd friend had no access and had to resort to playing cards and hearing medical stories.

Rich
    Green Bay, WI

Comment

The Taig is certainly a good idea. A lot of accessories are shared between the mill and the lathe. They are not terribly heavy, though at a sufficiently advanced age a helper or grandson would have to move them.

No home is going to let you bring machinery, as pointed out earlier. You can't smuggle things into those places; you will be found out and kicked out. But those places are not for those with the wherewithal to keep machining, so I wouldn't worry overmuch about that part. The key area to focus on probably is how to contain the mess (e.g. flycutter on a taig mill) while in an apartment or spare room.

Comment

I would consider befriending someone in the area who will let you have some space, outside of the residence for your machinery. Or even a nearby neighbor or family member. Also, consider Proxxon machinery, they make Taig and Sherline look like giants. Plenty decent quality for tabletop equipment, watch-makers sized tooling.
        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Making sure that I'm allowed to have a room to tinker in will be Step #1. After that what I'm allowed to bring in will be up for negotiations....

I'm hoping to be able to have SOME ability to shape metal. But if it ends up with just being the resident that runs an inhouse wood working with hand tools class or club I suppose I could live with that too.

In the meantime let's assume that I'm allowed to have a tidy little table top shop. You know, all the stuff in the big garage now but shrunk to fit onto the top of a dresser sort of table top.

Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Maybe try to find a place that could use an onsite handyman...handymen need tools and equipment, right? And a place to store and use them!

Comment

For that price range, id probably be looking at Little Machine Shops hi-torque line instead of Taig. Nothing against the Taigs of course, but the LMS machines have larger work envelopes for the same general price range

Comment

if/when my wife and I end up in some kind of “senior living” facility I would not even try to have a shop in the facility. Even though there are places that have standalone homes with big garages and basements where I could set up a shop I wouldn’t do it. The reasoning is twofold - first, we’re going to such a place because we need to so the work of setting one up and maintaining it might be too much. Second, at that point in our lives bad things sometimes happen quickly - one small fall and you go from being able to live in a standalone unit to requiring full time nursing care ... and the shop is a big burden then (just look at the number of “how do I get rid of my shop” threads)

Personally, when the time comes I’d look to have all my stuff go to either my son or a local group (eg a maker space) so it all has a good home AND it’s where I can still go and have some fun with. I would not try to have a small shop where I’m living. As I have less ability to use things I can just stop.

Comment

Many years ago I joined a Taig group and we had monthly get-togethers at the members residences. One, who lived in a ground floor apartment, had his workshop in a spare room. His solution was an old thick wall to wall carpet to contain the chips and to minimize the noise. I was amazed at how effective it was. Needless to say one wore shoes.

Geoff

Comment

Planning that you are going to become partially incapacitated either mentally or physically and having to give your home, shop and independent lining?
                    What a dismal topic.

Thinking that you are going to negotiate some modification to the terms of service, code of conduct, insurance regulations, rules of an adult community, senior apartments, etc., is flawed thinking.
                    Last edited by reggie_obe; 06-06-2021, 05:28 PM.

Comment

If space is at a premium, one of the little 7 x 14 lathes would be a thought. Ckeck out www.mini-lathe.com there are lots of improvements you can make to them.

Comment

I see that there are a few negative and dismissive replies to this idea. It's no news that we all get older. And as we age it's not like we get stronger.

At 67 years of age I know that in another 10 to hopefully 15 years that the big house with the 1600 square feet of shop between basment and garage that I have now will no longer be something I can or will want to deal with. We are all going to get there at some point.

I hope I'm realistic enough to stay as long as I'm comfortable here but no longer than that. And at that point move to the next place where I can still have a small crafts area to tinker. Making stuff is what makes me smile. A trait I'm sure I share with others on this forum.

And when I do move it will be into a place that allows for this sort of activity in one form or other or I simply won't move into that facility.

I'm just starting to think ahead to what this next "shop" might be. Although in this case it's a bit of a stretch of the term. I figure that I'm looking at most at a couple of office desk sized "benches". One for a bit of hand tools wood working and the other set up as a desk top sized metal work area. It would be on par impact wise with a sewing room. It's not like I'm going to do any welding in the second bedroom or anything like that.

I've got a few thoughts of my own but I thought it would be interesting to read some other takes on the idea.
                        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Seems to me the way to go is let the tail wag the dog. Find a town or neighborhood that has a "maker space" type group shop that would welcome you and whatever equipment you can bring in. This is 2 birds with one stone: a place to work and a place to socialize with like minded people, and even mentor some kids. These latter can be priceless. The biggest problem most folks face as they age is isolation.

Comment

I’m thinking this sites longevity may be under threat, we’re all going to be pushing daisies up sooner than we think, seems we’re all getting a bit crusty, sad but true
                            mark

Comment

You guys have got it all wrong.
                              I simply picked up and married a younger woman, the only woman member of Toronto Society of Model Engineers. She is fitter, stronger,and smarter than I am.
                              We co operate on some projects, and do our own thing on others.
                              Provided I follow certain very basic rules ( Eg no steaming up engines in the house,) I have great freedom , all the help I need, and a vast amount of encouragement.
                              We both have some underlying health issues and face them together. We both have experience of being long term care givers for loved ones, now deceased, and look at every day as a precious gift to be enjoyed.
                              As for the future, well we will meet that when it comes.
                              Regards to all David Powell.

Comment

Working...
                              X