Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning ahead... What would you pick up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boslab View Post
    I’m thinking this sites longevity may be under threat, we’re all going to be pushing daisies up sooner than we think, seems we’re all getting a bit crusty, sad but true
    mark
    I here similar comments at a rate of 5 or 6 per hour at the hobby shows I do to. There is truth to in in that nobody goes on forever, but it overlooks the simple fact that they make new old guys every day. There will be retired guys cutting metal long after we are all gone.
    George
    Traverse City, MI

Comment

I simply picked up and married a younger woman, the only woman member of Toronto Society of Model Engineers.
      Yeah, but A) she probably doesn't have a twin sister, and B) most of us that aren't already married to someone already aren't likely to get married at this point.
      "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post

Yeah, but A) she probably doesn't have a twin sister, and B) most of us that aren't already married to someone already aren't likely to get married at this point.
        Counting other species? I could use some company sometimes.
        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
          ...At 67 years of age I know that in another 10 to hopefully 15 years that the big house with the 1600 square feet of shop between basment and garage that I have now will no longer be something I can or will want to deal with. We are all going to get there at some point...
          Now 77, I just recently added this Okuma LS to my shop. Don't let the old man in.

12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
          Index "Super 55" mill
          18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
          7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
          24" State disc sander

Comment

Originally posted by ezduzit View Post

Now 77, I just recently added this Okuma LS to my shop. Don't let the old man in.
            Now that is a very nice new toy!

Trust me. I won't admit anything until I'm already waste deep. But on the other hand I don't want to panic and react without a plan when the time does come. AND I don't want to stay here until I don't have the stamina to effect a fairly reasonable transition either.

Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Most senior living facilities will have parking for one or more vehicles. So you might consider setting up a small shop in a van, or even a box truck or motor home, self-contained with a generator. It will also make it easier to sell and move later.
              http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

EZ I'm looking at the delivery truck for that lathe and wondering, is it normally used for concrete septic tanks or burial vaults?

Comment

Originally posted by Norm W View Post
                  EZ I'm looking at the delivery truck for that lathe and wondering, is it normally used for concrete septic tanks or burial vaults?
                  Those guys are professional riggers/machinery movers.
                  Index "Super 55" mill
                  24" State disc sander

Comment

Originally posted by Norm W View Post
                    Actually that is exactly what I seen those trucks used for. Delivery and placement of burial vaults to cemeteries.
                    Maybe the rigger got a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Actually that is exactly what I seen those trucks used for. Delivery and placement of burial vaults to cemeteries.
                      Maybe the rigger got a deal.
                      They are called monorails.
                      Index "Super 55" mill
                      24" State disc sander

Comment

BC -
                        I get by with a very small lathe and a 6x26 mill. Hand held band saw that goes on the shelf when not used. Know your requirements as far as equipment. Guys thought I was crazy not getting all the tonnage like a real shop. So far it has worked out well. At 66 .5 I can relate to what you are saying. If you have the means, why not rent some space for a shop?

Like you, at some point it's over and I will hang up my apron.
                        My guess it will be in my 80's I hope. I have watched your posts for sometime now. You are a sharp guy and will figure this out on your own. If you like tinkering, you will make it happen!

Comment

Working...
                        X