CL - "Atlas horizontal bench mill model MFC - $100 (Plainville, MA)"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post

Its a Atlas Indexing head. It has a MT #2 bore . You mount a change gear on the spindle on the left side. There is supposed to be a Spring Pin assembly bolted on the left side to engage the gear, but it is missing, There should also be a tail stock to go with the head . Just the head and tailstock have sold for $400 recently.
    Rich
    YouTube just recommended this video of a gear being made on an Atlas with an indexing head . I think I'm being watched 😀.

https://youtu.be/fdSaK-6HocU?t=807

Comment

I have had one of these mills for a long time. Over the time I've had it, I've watched the eBay selling price on these things double and triple. I agree that it has limitations, and I'd love something bit larger and heavier duty, but still able to fit in my shop. Since I recently got a Mill Drill it has not has as much use, but there are times when a horizontal mill is what you want.
      "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
        ...........there are times when a horizontal mill is what you want.
        That is the truth for sure.

I can picture myself doing that tube end forming tool with a small mill-drill...........not!

But the horizontal (a Lewis) it got done with a 1/4 HP motor... dig THAT! and I only took two passes doing the cut with the 3/4" convex cutter, IIRC. I'd have to find the thread to check that.

Maybe with one of those Rong Fu mills, RF-40? RF-45? whatever it is. My father-in law has the Enco version of that mill, and it is pretty darn capable for a round column mill. But most of them are not that heavy, and would require a lot of passes, most likely.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Lots more about it here: http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlasmiller/index.html

Including a pic of a complete indexing head. For its size and age - it's 1940's, 1950's, it would make a lovely addition to a modelmaker's workshop. I wish I'd had one of these when my only machine tool was a 3 1/2" Zyto lathe...

Ian
          All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Read the OP. It's been done before on Craigs. $90 isn't the correct answer to OBO. A sale disguised as an private Auction
            Buyer's premium? Much happier to pay 15% rather than the customary 18% Even better, 12% when it's a landlord's lien.
            I don't understand your reasoning. So what if the seller is trying to get the max amount via auction?. Maybe it's a widow that needs every penny? Selling is not a game that has to be played by some set of fairness rules. If you don't like the way the seller is handling his sale don't participate.

My use of the "OBO" in my ads is not a trick to create an auction, it's to indicate I'm open to negotiating and not offended by it as opposed to being hard nosed and firm in pricing. Maybe I should say "or offer". There's a CL lister locally who has a number of items way over priced and descriptions that indicate he has no idea what he's selling. He says prices are firm, phone number required and answer the damn phone. I would like to talk with him about at least one of his items, but his obvious attitude puts me off immediately. Not my way of doing business.

I just recently sold a machine that I had grossly under estimated the demand for. It was listed at "$200 OBO". When I checked my email there were 4 responses. Immediately I knew I under priced, but I sold to the first responder for $200. I got offers over $300 after it was gone.

Regarding the Atlas mill in question. I had one of those years ago, don't even recall how I came to own it. Tried it a couple times and gave it to a buyer who was buying something else from me. The only thing Atlas I've liked are their old drill presses, some are re-badged as Craftsman. Once I bought a Craftsman (Atlas) 12 x 36 lathe at an estate sale for $275. It sure looked good. Got it home in my shop, after trying it I quickly realized what a piece of crap it was. I loaded it back in my truck, placed an ad on CL for $200 saying we could meet someplace. The last thing I wanted was the buyer to know where I lived after he found out those lathes are crap.

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post

I don't understand your reasoning. So what if the seller is trying to get the max amount via auction?. Maybe it's a widow that needs every penny? Selling is not a game that has to be played by some set of fairness rules. If you don't like the way the seller is handling his sale don't participate.

My use of the "OBO" in my ads is not a trick to create an auction, it's to indicate I'm open to negotiating and not offended by it as opposed to being hard nosed and firm in pricing. Maybe I should say "or offer".
              Most here would agree that best off means, "I'll consider less than my advertised price." In this case, it obvious since it didn't get snapped up that the seller means:highest offer. A situation I encountered with a Delta bandsaw. Auctions are fine, I attend one or more a month.

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
                My use of the "OBO" in my ads is not a trick to create an auction, it's to indicate I'm open to negotiating and not offended by it as opposed to being hard nosed and firm in pricing. Maybe I should say "or offer".
                The "or offer" is a LOT clearer as to what you mean. The seller in the OP posted "Best offer takes it!" & that does not imply "or offer". It's also confusing because it implies that there's a time at which he will chose the best offer & when is that? I did email him about that & have had no reply.

Comment

Working...
                X