Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you ever wonder about the people who built your machines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
    No stories, other than a grandmother who worked in an Electric equipment factory during WWII, replacing a worker who went off to war.
    I think the guys who worked at Hendy, Pond, Seneca Falls, Sheldon, Delta, etc, producing precision machines would be disgusted by people today who's first thought is to flip open the Grizz catalog when they want to buy a machine.
    I live less than a mile from Hendy and I wish I had the option to buy domestic machinery. There is no modern small manual.machinery that I'm aware of, unfortunately.

-paul

Comment

I know 3 people connected with machine tool factories.
      My immediate neighbor, spent a summer I think, working for Excello , who built good turret mills in Esstern Canada. He worked in the metallurgical dept..
      a buddy of mine has an Excello and likes it.

Another long time friend, came here from Europe around 72 or 73. GERMANY, and he apprenticed as a pattern maker at KLOPP FACTORY. They produced a lot of shapers. His father also worked there, I think they lived in company housing.

Another friend, came from Austria . His father started and owned the factory that produced METORA bandsaws.. i think they also were sold under the STARTRITE brand name.. some of their models. And at one time he was making Quick Change toolposts, i have seen a few of the parts. And a very cool stock support stand for saws....to adjust height of roller, you stepped on a footpedal, this released a collet that gripped the shaft holding the roller. When you got to the height desired you let go of pedal, and collet closed and held the shaft... very nice .. the one I saw..
      Last edited by 754; 06-11-2021, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by psomero View Post

I live less than a mile from Hendy and I wish I had the option to buy domestic machinery. There is no modern small manual.machinery that I'm aware of, unfortunately.
        And no market for it, either. Only lowball imports sold to hobby folks, and maybe gunsmiths. The competition is existing machinery surplussed out from industry, and available at a lower cost than the imports.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Originally posted by psomero View Post

STANDARD-MODERN.

-Doozer
          DZER

Comment

I thought Standard-Modern was Canadian made? Or is Canadian included in 'US domestic'?

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

STANDARD-MODERN.

-Doozer
              Duly noted, thank you. Space permits only about half that size of a machine in my 1 car garage presently. 9x20 is what I went with.

I'm goi g to wind up buying old iron once space permits. I panic bought a Biax ELM7 power scraper on ebay a couple.of months ago, so I'll be rebuilding once I have the room to disassemble something and have it in a prolonged state of rebuilding.
              -paul

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
                I thought Standard-Modern was Canadian made? Or is Canadian included in 'US domestic'?
                They were based out of Toronto, Canada, not sure where they are now. I have a 70s era 11" utilathe and really like it for home shop.

Comment

The brand is now a trademark of "Racer Machinery International".

The literature screams "Made in North America" all over it, but the machines, or at least the 13" ones, look JUST LIKE chinese models, with some better features. That word "international" suggests to me that a lot of parts might come over on a boat. That does not have to be bad, ..... and it may not be true.... they may make every part over here.... No clue about price, which will pretty well show what the true story is.

https://standardmodernlathes.com/doc...odern-1300.pdf

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

About 25 yrs ago we ( Toronto Society of Model Engineers) visited the Standard Modern plant in the north end of Toronto.
                    At that time the castings were coming from abroad but all the work was done in house
                    .If I remember correctly the business was then owned collectively by the employees.
                    One of our members bought a brand new 12 inch lathe on the spot !
                    Regards David Powell.

Comment

Originally posted by David Powell View Post
                      About 25 yrs ago we ( Toronto Society of Model Engineers) visited the Standard Modern plant in the north end of Toronto.
                      At that time the castings were coming from abroad but all the work was done in house
                      .If I remember correctly the business was then owned collectively by the employees.
                      One of our members bought a brand new 12 inch lathe on the spot !
                      Regards David Powell.
                      Not any more, it seems. It's been traded around between companies for some time, apparently.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                        Sometimes I wonder about the guy that's running my lathe now
                        My old neighbor retired from welding about two years after I started. One thing he told me after he found out I picked up the addiction was-"you're gonna be under that welding helmet a lot, better be on speaking terms with the guy you're in there with."
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                        X