X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J Tiers
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
    Jerry- You don't like A/C or your wallet does not like A/C?
    If you do not need shims, then you must exclusively use
    carbide insert tooling with factory perfect holders and
    never use ground HSS tools.
    -----And when my flip phone finally dies, you are right,
    I do not want a big monstrosity in my pocket.
    I already have one of those in my other pocket ?

-D
    I like insert tooling, but I use plenty of HSS. It's all in the grind. Leave the edge on top. Grind back, not down

A/C? I don't like it itself. I'd not mind paying for it, I just don't like it. It's cold, but not a good cold. I am OK with dehumidifiers, got one in the shop, they work.

I adapt to the temp, and then A/C seems cold to me. I spend a good deal of time outside in summer, working on the property, and I have to laugh at "normal people".... If I am in a store (freezing my butt) then when I get outside again, I feel like "ah, that's better" even if it is 98F. I laugh at the folks who are rushing to their air conditioned SUVs because they cannot stand the heat. Yah know? It's summer..... it's hot. Why pretend it isn't?
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• Galaxie
      • Aug 2018

You can have my lantern toolpost and Armstrong holders when you pry them from my cold, dead hands!

Seriously though I really don't mind them, although I am not running any kind of production.

Tip: Those offset parting blade holders really need to be used without the rocker.

Comment

• Galaxie
        • Aug 2018

Originally posted by thin-woodsman View Post
        I don't hold the lantern in as much disdain as most. The 4-way is the one I dislike, precisely because of all the shimming involved. With the lantern, adjusting the height throws off the tool angle, but there's a good HSM article "Getting the most from your lantern toolpost" (2012 maybe? this would be a prime candidate for inclusion in Projects 12, if that ever is attempted) that solves the problem by milling height settings in the ring(s) and disposing of the rocker.
        I believe that article was in Machinist's Workshop Oct/Nov 2016

Comment

• Apr 2017

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

I would actually like a 4 way set up for my Sidney for untinate rigidity IF and only IF it was calibrated exactly for 1" tooling. Then I could use 1/4" shims for 3/4", etc. But that wouldn't work for brazed carbide and HSS tools of course. So long as you have an Aloris post kicking around, they can always be swapped quickly though.
          TmB ., seriously .. the tool sharp difference is easilly taken care of with about 5 thin shim.. keep them nearby. I fiind measuring tool and shim together with verniers is very quick..... if you want to use a 4 way..
          AC., yes I easily catch cold with it, dont lije it that much..lf you hate summer go north.
          i finally realize why so many folks suffer from heat stroke... lack of exposure..
          They work in an AC buiding .. they drive home to thier AC home, this sit in an Ac Bar or restaurant...., and then they go outside for 4 to 8 hours in the heat.. and BOOM They get heat stroke ... its lack if conditioning.. and it can kill you..

Comment

• nickel-city-fab
            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by 754 View Post

TmB ., seriously .. the tool sharp difference is easilly taken care of with about 5 thin shim.. keep them nearby. I fiind measuring tool and shim together with verniers is very quick..... if you want to use a 4 way..
            AC., yes I easily catch cold with it, dont lije it that much..lf you hate summer go north.
            i finally realize why so many folks suffer from heat stroke... lack of exposure..
            They work in an AC buiding .. they drive home to thier AC home, this sit in an Ac Bar or restaurant...., and then they go outside for 4 to 8 hours in the heat.. and BOOM They get heat stroke ... its lack if conditioning.. and it can kill you..
            Interestingly, I'm finding that Buffalo is getting too warm for me. I'm praying for a Canadian wife who wants to move to some place like Moose Jaw or Yellow Knife. My work is in an un-conditioned shop, so I am exposed to the elements most of the time... we rarely shut the doors. It is currently an 86F steam bath, but February will be -20 and you can cut glass with your nipples.
            25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

• Fasturn
              • Dec 2020

Used Armstrong type in high school, but went to work using KDK holders soon after. Night n day for engine lathe machinist. Now I use the Chi- com Aloris copies from Shars. Works great and money left over for more holders.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KDK_100_set_221k.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1946202

Comment

• gmax137
                • Dec 2013

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                ...Yellow Knife ...
                I lived in the Florida Keys a long time ago. My neighbor had me over for a beer one afternoon, a hot afternoon in August. Inside his house was like an oven, I mean stifling hot. I asked him why he didn't have the AC on, or at least open the windows for a breeze. "I spent 4 years working up in Yellow Knife," he said. "I don't ever want to be cold ever again."

Comment

• J Tiers
                  • Jan 2004

The aloris is nice, just not worth it to me at the moment. Similar to the smart phone... But I do not understand the "of course you need shims with HSS or brazed carbide".

Originally posted by gmax137 View Post

I lived in the Florida Keys a long time ago. My neighbor had me over for a beer one afternoon, a hot afternoon in August. Inside his house was like an oven, I mean stifling hot. I asked him why he didn't have the AC on, or at least open the windows for a breeze. "I spent 4 years working up in Yellow Knife," he said. "I don't ever want to be cold ever again."
                  I spent 19 years in Minnesota, where it was 95F 2 days a year, and stayed below zero for at least a month, reaching 36 below that I recall. Warmer is nice, although the temp up there is OK now, not near as cold as it used to be.

It still snows. I like snow, but it does get to be a pain if there is no garage. We never had one up there.
                  CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                  Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                  Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                  I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                  Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• dalee100
                    • Jan 2007

Hi,

A good 4 way is more of a commercial production tool. Set up your tools, (shims needed or not), and run a thousand parts. By the time you have fumbled a tool holder off that Aloris post, I've got that 4 way indexed and back in the cut. Even yet today it is far faster than an Aloris for tool changes. This is why old turret lathes mostly featured 4 ways for tool posts until the advent of powered turrets in CNC machines. Each different tool post style has advantages and disadvantages. And are often best used in different circumstances. Use what you like best, the rest of the world don't much care.

Bented, I wonder if your boss is planning to replace that 4 way with a Aloris style post sometime in the future.
                    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

• Bented
                      • Jun 2019

Originally posted by dalee100 View Post
                      Hi,

Bented, I wonder if your boss is planning to replace that 4 way with a Aloris style post sometime in the future.
                      It indexes automatically by programming a tool change, he will be unhappy when it runs out of tool positions however (-:

I will then be able to say, you should have spent another $10,000 on the optional 8 tool turret.

Comment

• eKretz
                        • Apr 2020

The main reason I don't like the 4-way toolposts is the lack of positions. 4 isn't enough. And if you need to use a boring bar in one of those 4 slots, you only get to use 1 or 2 of the others, depending on the bar and turning tools you use. On a machine used at home that may be no big deal. On a machine in a commercial shop, that's a real time killer. And changing an Aloris holder takes me about 4 or 5 seconds... Not appreciably more than changing a 4-way toolpost position. If you take into account a job where you need to use more tools than can fit in the 4-way turret, the Aloris is FAR faster.

Comment

• Apr 2017

I use shorty tools in the 4 way.. so lot of the time 4 in use., plus you can run a parting tool on back of cross slide and sonetimes a 4 way..
                          in general use I usually have a turning tool and parting tool on the 4 way, so its handy ..
                          i dont care what anyone uses.. but when I hear things like shimming takes a lot of time, or have not learned to thread.. I start to wonder what they actually get done, and how much they are missing.
                          I DO or did make money with the lathe often... but never seemed to have enough to justify buying a Quick Change system..

Comment

• Tundra Twin Track
                            • Jan 2014

This is the QCTP I use Algra Rapidue made in Italy, I believe Boni from Switzerland had same design.

Comment

• Tim The Grim
                              • Mar 2005

I used to drive past the Aloris shop on a regular basis. Always a point of pride knowing that Mr. Sirola and his small shop in New Jersey made such an impact on the machining community.
                              Illigitimi non Carborundum ?
                              9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

• tlfamm
                                • Mar 2010

For the curious:

Aloris (Sirola) patent:

Aloris catalog:

Comment

Working...
                                X