Layout Dye..... Red or Blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post
    I like the blue stuff, like others have mentioned i think the contrast between it and the scribed lines is a lot clearer. Tried the red stuff, works alright but the lines can be slightly harder to see, least to my eyes

Always used denatured alcohol to clean off dykem, never had a problem getting it off. Either wet the rag with it or dump it straight on the metal, worst case scenario is i have to rub a bit to get all the layout off. When i run out of DNA, acetone works even better. Actually, i should just use acetone...
    I tend to like the blue stuff also just because of the contrast with the scribed lines.
    In the past I've used a red marker on small things and the lines are a bit harder to see, depending on the lighting.
    Since I do a fair amount of painting I always have a gallon of lacquer thinner on the bench for clean up. No need to buy any special solvent to remove layout dye.

JL...............

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
      How do you remove it??

Does it work on aluminum ?? It sounds like it reacts with the steel since it turns it a copper color. I don't like the battery acid part !

JL.............
      JoeLee: Since Nickel-city mentioned the water, I remembered that the old timer that was showing me his home-made marking dye, said he used distilled water with the copper sulfate. He also showed me that if it had dried out from dis-use, he could restore it immediately with more distilled water. I have no idea where one would obtain copper sulfate crystals.
      Sarge41
      Last edited by sarge41; 06-10-2021, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sarge41 View Post

JoeLee: Since Nickel-city mentioned the water, I remembered that the old timer that was showing me his home-made marking dye, said he used distilled water with the copper sulfate. I have no idea where one would obtain copper sulfate crystals.
        Sarge41
        Hardware store, or home depot or similar. A good gardening supply will have it. It's used to dissolve old tree stumps and keep em from growing back. My local small-town Ace hardware has a barrel full that they sell by the pound.
        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Dont have Dykem in the shop. Dont layout parts like the old days. With Mastercam and a DRO, not needed. If I do scratch a line, I just use a black marker sparingly. I started off with the blue Dykem , but like Red better. Lots of shop mark scrap or temporary hardware with the Red. Because of that Red was not allowed for general machining. One day I will buy some Dykem cuz you never know ??
          Last edited by Fasturn; 06-11-2021, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X