Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever have a buddy, that had to get Machine Tools, because you did ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever have a buddy, that had to get Machine Tools, because you did ?

I had two, and it became a long story with twists and turns.. i will touch on a few tthings that happened, and how it went.
    i this has happened to you, lets hear how it went...

So the first buddy, well he really wanted a lathe. After a while he found a nice Atlas 12 x 36 with a gearbox for the feed screw and some goodies.
    it was in very nice shaoe.. this was like 20 years or more ago.
    Second buddy scored an awesome Deal on a Colchester Student lathe 13ish x 36 or so . At one time he found a B,port type mill, that probably would have been great for him.. but a guy he worked after hours with was a millwright at a sprng plant talked him out of it.. said he could get better and cheaper. We live about 8 hrs apart, so I cant see the machines... but I advised him that it was an ok deal and no they are not always available., as he was to find out..
    some time later.
    then i found him an Eliott #2 vertical mill, that had been stripped for paint, and in useable shape, but the gib got dropped and broke, into several pieces.
    that was around 15 years ago.

Sat this point I figured they would need to start learning how to use the machines and I would help them out , and we would all have fun making things.

Man was I in for a surprise...

Comment

No I haven't, this sounds like it will be interesting...

Comment

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to get someone involved in machining or working with tools. If they spend to get the tool(s), then there must be some kind of interest to be nurtured, eh?
        S E Michigan

Comment

Yep.

I bought a Smithy 3-in-1 machine when I was a kiddo. My brother-in-law helped me pick it up at a freight depot and set it up on a bench I made out of scrap wood from a new housing development. It weighed about 500 lbs. and I thought it was the heaviest, biggest tool I'd ever own. By the time I became a freshman in college, I was supremely dissatisfied with the 3-in-1 and was looking for a "real" lathe.

A member of PM messaged me to say he had a Pacemaker lathe for sale. Well it doesn't get much more "real" than a Pacemaker but it was located out in New Mexico. I wasn't sure I could afford it or how I would go out and get it. Well he happened to pick up a second Pacemaker from a community college so he told me he was having a buy-one-get-one-free sale: two Pacemakers for the price of one! Well that sealed the deal and I convinced my BIL to help me pick those up since he has a semitruck and drop deck trailer. In return, he kept one of the Pacemakers. For the next several years, every time I bought a machine tool, my BIL bought a duplicate.

And now some of my colleagues at work are starting to go to auctions with me and buy machine tools. So it turns out that old iron disease is, in fact, communicable.

Comment

No. Its not considered to be transmissible. Its an affliction that some think can be hereditary but in reality it requires a bump to head
            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

No, I have buddies that did the opposite. Once I started accumulating and putting together a home shop they started acquiring projects that needed machine and fab work lol.

Comment

If I had a nickel for all the folks I talked with that said they really enjoyed making things on a metal lathe I'd be able to afford a Starbucks fancy coffee. Yep, there's a lot of them. Many made the usual little hammer in metal shop in high school. But the good impressions lasted for years after. And a lot of them had that "one day..." thought about setting up a little basement shop area.

So in SOME cases I suspect someone finding out that we have our shops is just the catalyst to put them over the edge and buy that first machine. They aren't sure what they'll do with it... after all they still have that little lathe turned two piece hammer... but by golly they know it'll be FUN! And of course they'll get a piece of scrap and make some chips but with no real point to it. And then real life intrudes or they quickly realize what a deep rabbit hole they just fell into and how they'll want some other things to put onto and around the lathe to make their little shop actually usable..... and there the lathe sits.

Over the years I've run into two people like that. They have the lathe but there it sits. One of them who I knew through work would talk to me frequently about his once he learned I had a shop. He had a lot of dreams about making model steam engines and the like. I kept encouraging him to check out books from the library and start out with a few basic tooling projects to learn the skill. But he was always too busy to even go get the books. So there it sat for the whole 5'ish years that I knew him. Then I transferred away. I hope he at least finally got around to it when he retired....
                Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Just call me Buddy. As I started into this I stumbled along learning on my own till I found the community of like minded people around me.

lg
                  no neat sig line
                  near Salem OR

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandGB View Post
                    Sounds like a perfect opportunity to get someone involved in machining or working with tools. If they spend to get the tool(s), then there must be some kind of interest to be nurtured, eh?
                    That us exactly what I thought.... but not anymore...
                    i will add more bits of the story, and how it unfolded.... the unexpected twists... and what it really turned out to be..

Comment

I bought an G&L HBM because Brian Block got one.
                      I bought a 17" Colchester because Keith Fenner got one.
                      I bought a Rockford hydraulic openside planer because Steve Watkins got one.
                      I bought a Pratt & Whitney jig borer because John Oder got one.
                      I bought a B&S #13 grinder because my buddy Mark M. got one.
                      My buddy Mark M. bought an HLV-H because I got one.

LOL.

-Doozer
                      Last edited by Doozer; 06-11-2021, 01:25 PM.
                      DZER

Comment

My best friend is a machinist today because I signed up for machine shop in high school and he joined the following year and ran with it.

I would have too had I not been urged to go get a degree so I studied mechanical engineering.
                        -paul

Comment

So back to buddy number 1.
                          i started to spend a lot if time discussing lathe work with him. AFTER I got him somewhat able to sharpen tools.. that was a chore..
                          Clearance, Clearance Clearance... only the edge doing the cutting can touch the work.....pretty simple really but I bet I said those words at least 50 times.
                          For a time we both had a portion of the afternoon free ... and we would meet for coffee , often talking at length about machining.
                          At one point i suggested he make notes, diagrams ... at first he resisisted the idea.. But I should mention this ... 90 % of folks that say they dont need to take notes.... are the ones that need to the most.
                          I spent about an hour, going through the Southbend Lathe book, jotting down paragraphs, diagrams, photos etc. Then gave him the list, then said read up on all this, it really matters to become good on the lathe.. and then you will get results.. get the book I said...

He did not have a mill, but i told him these metal lathe accessories kits will expand your capabilities greatly. So he ordered a bunch, and I machined most of it for pay, but tried to do a lot of it with him there... so he could learn more..
                          So as some of that got finished he started using the lathe more.. it at times got to the point where I would suggest he sell the lathe, because making 150 bux worth of parts in 12 years, is just not really worth it... this was probably before I did the kits..
                          There is more to the tale than this... more later.,
                          Last edited by 754; Yesterday, 06:10 PM.

Comment

My buddy does the welding, I do the machining, works out pretty well!

Comment

Only one of my friends has any sort of shop. He has a really ancient Atlas that I went through and cleaned up for him, which he does use. It was given to him long ago, in non-working condition, and when we moved stuff of his out of his mother's house, I told him to drop it at my place and I'd see what I could do.

Other than that, nobody I know around here has a shop, aside from a couple of woodworkers.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Working...
                              X