Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan_the_Chemist
    replied
    The combination of a 3D printer, and Fusion 360 has really made a big impact on my life. Looking at my desk here I see a 3D printed SD card holder, a 3D printed bird feeder outside the window, a 3D printed case for the Raspberry Pi controlling a project I made, some 3D printed light holders for photography, etc... Outside of this room we have a holder for brushes in the shower, a holder for a rubber-ducky soap dispenser in the kitchen, a stand for the tablet, a gizmo to turn on/off the shower without getting sprayed, a specialized cable tray for some funky cables... I have made a repair part for the plastic trim on my wife's car, a bee feeder for one of my hives, a holder for the hand sanitizer in my car, etc... I made a set of screens for bread crumbs... Dry the old bread in the oven, break it up, and I get croutons in one screen, coarse panko in the next, and fine panko in the last screen.

Out in the shop I have a number of proof of concept models. I sometimes will print the thing before I commit to making it in metal. I can just set it up, walk away, and in a few hours I have a pretty good model of what the part will look like. I made a model of a specialized camera stand before I made it out of aluminum, and I found a couple of good design mods to make before making chips. I 3D printed some accessories such as indicator holders for odd situations, spot-light holders for my mill, trays to keep my reamers in order and from clanging into each other, etc...

Plus I can always get a brownie point or two by printing off some silly thing for my wife... A heart, her initials intertwined with mine, or a highly detailed model of the Viking Mars Lander (she worked on that project long long ago).

I'm enjoying the heck out of my 3D printer.

Leave a comment:

• hollo
    replied
    I've had a 3d printer for about a year. I've used it a bit for some woodworking jigs where precision isn't so much of an issue. 3d printed gears work ok for low torque. I've been toying with the idea of printing some metric thread cutting gears for my machine (which has imperial ones fitted and metric are hard to come by), but don't know if they'd be strong enough. If I get back to some green sand casting I'll be quite tempted to 3d print some patterns - should make it relatively easy to get draft and parting line correct - but will wait to play with molten aluminium until I don't have a 3 year old running around!

Leave a comment:

• elf
    replied
    Timing belt pulleys, spur gears, electronic enclosures, belt guards, linear rail bellows and other guards, dial indicator holders, cell phone holders, peg board holders, knobs and handles, weather station anerometer cups, tool bit sharpening jigs, knife sharpener, microscope, lens adaptors, lens hoods, camera mounts, cable guides for cnc router, covid masks, etc..

Leave a comment:

• Stu
    replied
    I've had an Ender3 V2 for over a year and I have made a few things for the shop, but nothing that couldn't be machined. What kind of things would you use it for? There is a bit of a learning curve to using them and do you have any 3d modelling experience? Stu

Leave a comment:

• loose nut
    started a topic 3D printer uses

3D printer uses

I have been pondering buying a 3d printer but I can't decide if I have enough need for one. Most people seem to print out figurines, toys etc. as their main use but that isn't anything I would do. Is there a valid shop use for one. I have a few ideas but not enough to warrant one.
Working...
X