Hello / Milling Machine Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello / Milling Machine Info

Hi, I've been reading this forum for about 18months now and have finally decided to register and post!

I am looking at buying this mill from a friend:

He dosn't know an awful lot about it, as it came to him from another friend. However, it is a very neat size of machine for my limited space, which is why I am going to go for it.

However, I would really like to get some more information on it. The manufacturers name on the front is 'Carstens' which I am lead to believe is German. However, there is nothing mentioned on lathes.co.uk and a google search does not bring much realavent up either. Does anybody have any experience of this type of machine?

The other intersting thing is that the spindle seems to be bored to take an 'F' type collet. Is this a common fitment? We only found this out when we were going through a big box of random collets and found some that fitted! Does anyine know if it is possible to get an 'F' to morse taper adapter, as my existing tooling for the myford is all 2MT?

Any help would be very much appreciated,
    Thanks
    Mark

F type collet? Never heard of it.This is why it is sitting Idle, most likely If you have a complete set it would not be a problem, unless they are common over there.

Comment

I have never heard of them either, I am basing it on the fact the the collets I found that fit have 'F' etched into the front as well as the size!

Comment

Then show us a pic., silly.

Comment

Mark,
          As Mr Wolf says show us a picture of the collet and whatever else fits the spindle.

It could be a stumbling block but you say you have a Myford so it isn't hard to make or adapt something to fit that can take readily available collets.

From the look of the spindle layout it may be quicker / easier in the long run to make a new spindle to take MT2 tooling if you are already set on this.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Why not r8 collets if you are going to regrind the spindle.

Comment

Mounshier Le Wolf,

That spindle looks awfully small to take an R8.
              Another point to bear in mind is that the R8 is an American spindle and until the advent of licensed Bridgies and later the Asian clones it wasn't very popular over here.
              Small British machines have stuck [ literally ] with MT2 and MT3 tapers with the result there is loads of this stuff over here.

We went MT2, MT3, INT 30, INT 40 etc.

No knocking R8 against MT tapers but that's just the way it is here, it's a legacy issue.
              By the same ruling in the US you would go for R8 over MT 2/3 again for legacy issues.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Correct, I keep thinking like a colonist,sorry.

Comment

OK, well since I don't have the machine yet, the nearest I can do is give you the measurements of the collet/spindle that I made:

This is a diagram for a 5c collet, but the design is the same:

A = 22.8mm
                  B = 82mm
                  C = 21mm

The thread is approx 1mm pitch for 18mm of thread.

The Machine has a Clarkson autolock chuck in it that fits the spindle, so I guess tooling has been available for this spindle design....

Interesting idea on making a new spindle though. The only reason for the MT2 stuff is that I already have some. If an int 30 or R8 wold be better then maybe it would be worth considering.

Thanks
                  Mark

Comment

Your need for a new spindle or more collets depends mostly on what size collets you have now and whether you want to use anything other than end mills in the machine. It looks a bit challenged on max spindle to table height so a drill chuck and drill bit larger than 3/8 is going to chew up a lot of the spindle to table distance. A minimal set of collets for a small mill would be
                    3/8" /9mm 1/2" 12mm and perhaps 1/4" 6mm. That will cover the most useful endmills for a small mill and the 12mm or 1/2" can be used to mount a straight shank JT taper adapter for a drill chuck. I doubt the F series goes above 1/2 or at most 5/8" in size. Carbide end mills come in smaller sizes but mills such as this tend to be speed challenged as well, so use of HSS or carbide endmills under 4-6mm in size will run into speed limitations except for steel and HSS tooling. No idea what regrinding the spindle would cost, but one HSM who has commercialized his shop charges ~$90 in the US to convert MT3 spindles to R8. From your dimensions, an R8 conversion seems feasible, depending on what the actual spindle looks like. R8 OD is about 24 mm, with length about 105mm. If the spindle has meat enough to be counter bored another 23-25mm, then the taper could be reground to R8 standards:
                    it would seem a straight forward conversion. Depends on evaluation of the spindle.
                    Steve
                    Steve

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for the comments, untill I can get a really good look at the spindle I won't know how feasable a re-profileing might be. However, I was just sizing up the possibility of modifying a commercial R8 - MT2 adapter to fit my spindle. Since the R8 is a similar profile, just bigger in most respects I should be able to turn down an R8 adapter to the correct profile to fit this machine.

The clarkson chuck that is with the mill has 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and seemingly 5/8 collets with it, which is good news.

Cheers
                      Mark

Comment

I looked here http://hardingeus.com/usr/pdf/collet/2348E.pdf and didn't find a match...but I might have missed it.

As Steve says though -- you don't need a whole lot of collets for a milling machine, anyway. Consider making your own, if need be. Use "good steel" and they ought to be perfectly adequate for home use, as-is. If one wears out after 20 years, make another one!
                        ----------
                        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

For grins, Carstens sounds more Nordic to me than German.

I am from Minnesota in the N central US. There were lots of Swedes and Norwegians, etc up there, the phone directory is still full of Odegards and Aarthuns and Bergquists and Bergs and Berklunds etc. And, a number of Carstens as well.

In fact, the name Carsten's to me is immediately associated with a camera shop down by the old St Paul MN railroad station, a shop owned (of course) by Mr Carsten.

So a look among Nordic manufacturers might be in order.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

mill spindle

Not a bad looking little mill. I would just machine myself a new spindle. to fif what ever collet i had or wonted or could get for home shop use the spindle does not have to be harden .You wont live long enough to weare it out. I have built 6 or 8 spindles for old machines which worked great with hard use and no weare use some good material like 4140 pre heattreated or edt 150 or any thing you can get between 38 an 45 R.C. pre heat treated it is tough but can be machined easley enough at slow speed with carbide.
                            Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                            http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                            http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

I have aquired an R8 to 2MT adapter, and am going to have a go at turning that down to the profile I need in the short term. Thanks for the advice on the spindle, it's much appreciated, and I may well go down that route in the medium term. It also depends on how successful I am at turning what could be a hardened apadter! Hmmm....

Cheers
                              Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X