No announcement yet.

OT tough pick up trucks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont think Steve has looked at the videos.Top gear also did a series about the hiluxes legendary toughness.

Comment

I bought my daughter a 2006 Silverado 4 wd 6.5 bed, ext cab truck to help her renovate her house, She kept the truck till last fall, bought herself a 4 door new one and gave me the 2006.( With 200,000 on the clock)
      It barely fits in our driveway and I can only see the edges of my utility trailer in the mirrors,
      However, incredibly it gets as good gas mileage as my GMC jimmy.
      It is not as fast or as willing a runner as the 1989 3/4 tonner regular cab GMC I had for a few years,
      Nowadays here if you go more than 50Km over any limit and get caught you are really in it deep, since my one and only ticket in 2001 I have become a very slow driver ! and I get very good gas mileage,
      I had a 2008 Ford Ranger totalled on me by a woman in a Hyundai, if she had rear ended this I would have had to repaint the bumper!
      Truck and trailer usually sit loaded ready to go to steam shows etc, sometimes sit for a couple of weeks at a time. For daily use I drive my 1964 Rambler .
      Given that almost all travel is for pleasure I simply do not worry about economy, but I usually fill up the gas tank when gas is cheap, saves enough for a donut and coffee!
      I like big pick up trucks.
      Regards David Powell.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Edwards View Post

When I was a kid, my dad had a green 66. I can still remember riding in it and hearing the gas slosh around in the tank behind the seat. I would love to get a 66 one of these days, but I already have a F250 for work and a Ranger for a daily driver.
        My gas gauge quit working about 20 years ago and is on the long list of repairs needed. I don't drive it much, so listening for the sound of the sloshing in the tank to estimate works, though my ears are getting to the point where that's not as reliable. Probably easier to fix the gauge than my ears at this point.

George
        Traverse City, MI

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
          I dont think Steve has looked at the videos.Top gear also did a series about the hiluxes legendary toughness.
          I wouldn't be surprised that most folks did not watch the entire series of Hilux torture videos that were linked to. Let's face it most will simply watch about 5 min. and then move on.
          But for those that did it was a pretty impressive display of the diesel Hilux's toughness! I was blown away with the abuse that the Toyota endured while coming back for more without displaying any mechanical faults. I don't think anything I've driven would be able to keep up with that Toyota. She's one tough cookie.

While I don't necessarily condone nor like watching those that destroy a good piece of running iron this is the internet and there's no place like Youtube to display a niche fetish to those that do, than on YT. The guy doing the video, like him or not, obviously has some serious coin and a very large following so I won't begrudge him for filling a niche market to those that need this type of fulfillment and entertainment.

Destroying trucks is what he does and by taking a quick look at his video portfolio he's pretty good at it and quite cold in his lack of any sort of mechanical attachment to what he has wrecked.
          However one line he spoke stuck with me. In the last video I think, he said that this was the first vehicle that he had destroyed that he felt sad about. When a professional serial truck killer shows some kind of remorse for taking the "life" from a his latest victim it tells me that this was indeed a very worthy opponent!

Well done Toyota, build one like that again and I will come knocking at your door with a fist full of dollars. Okay maybe a pre-approved loan agreement.
          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post

I wouldn't be surprised that most folks did not watch the entire series of Hilux torture videos that were linked to. Let's face it most will simply watch about 5 min. and then move on.
            But for those that did it was a pretty impressive display of the diesel Hilux's toughness! I was blown away with the abuse that the Toyota endured while coming back for more without displaying any mechanical faults. I don't think anything I've driven would be able to keep up with that Toyota. She's one tough cookie.

While I don't necessarily condone nor like watching those that destroy a good piece of running iron this is the internet and there's no place like Youtube to display a niche fetish to those that do, than on YT. The guy doing the video, like him or not, obviously has some serious coin and a very large following so I won't begrudge him for filling a niche market to those that need this type of fulfillment and entertainment.

Destroying trucks is what he does and by taking a quick look at his video portfolio he's pretty good at it and quite cold in his lack of any sort of mechanical attachment to what he has wrecked.
            However one line he spoke stuck with me. In the last video I think, he said that this was the first vehicle that he had destroyed that he felt sad about. When a professional serial truck killer shows some kind of remorse for taking the "life" from a his latest victim it tells me that this was indeed a very worthy opponent!

Well done Toyota, build one like that again and I will come knocking at your door with a fist full of dollars. Okay maybe a pre-approved loan agreement.
            Hell I couldnt even watch all of them ,just some of the bits. I also struggle to watch a perfectly good vehicle get destroyed. Ive worked too hard for that. It must cost a serious amount to make his youtube videos.

Comment

Yeah, I know that big boys require big trucks but some of the ones I come up against leave something to be desired.

Comment

Do the clowns who deliberately wreck good vehicles to make videos not realise that the manufacturers have already done far more testing than their primitive moronic efforts
                Manufacturers can predict, with startling accuracy, for instance ,how many times a door can be slammed before the weakest link becomes deranged.
                I watched from the sidelines while testing of a sliding roof mechanism and its controls were carried out. It was opened and closed hund thousands of time or maybe hundreds of thousands of times, Sometimes to test the built in safeties, all sorts of things were done to see what would happen, eg hot coffee poured into the control in the console.
                I am also aware of the efforts manufacturers use to try to cut costs, and maximise profits but that is a whole other story.
                Regards David Powell.

Comment

If it does not result in warranty claims, and is not a safety issue that will result in publicity and court costs, it does not get dealt with.* If it DOES, it gets attention. Warranty claims cost plenty per each. Often equal to 10,000 tomes the cost saving per part.

And, that warranty claim "test" is actually a decent way of filtering out non-essentials.

* There have been some lessons..... the car with the gas tank problem in rear end collisions was assumed to cost more to fix than the lawsuits would cost. That was not correct, as it turned out.
                  Last edited by J Tiers; 06-20-2021, 08:48 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandGB View Post
                    My Ram 1500 is the 7th one I've had. Wouldn't trade a pick up for any other vehicle.

Maybe this would be ideal in my mind. Simple, easy to work on, basic truck.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	F100 1965.JPG
Views:	397
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	1947558
                    I had a 64 F350 flatbed, with the big semi style axles and wheels on it, only vehicle I ever had that I called a service to change a flat. It was an ex highway department truck and was bright orange. We called it 'big ugly'

Not mine, but picture it in bright safety orange:

https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...f350/101524718

Comment

Originally posted by kendall View Post

I had a 64 F350 flatbed, with the big semi style axles and wheels on it, only vehicle I ever had that I called a service to change a flat. It was an ex highway department truck and was bright orange. We called it 'big ugly'

Not mine, but picture it in bright safety orange:

https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...f350/101524718
                      Wow, that one was listed for $14,500. I might have to treat mine with a little more respect.
                      George
                      Traverse City, MI

Comment

I had a F-100 with the Twin-I-Beam, and it rode great and no problems.
                        But I do like the simplicity of the '64 and earlier Fords with the regular
                        plain I-beam axle for simplicity. Just depends what you want.
                        If I still had my Twin I Beam F-100, I would double the length of the radius
                        rods for better bump steer geometry. It seems it is not exclusively my idea
                        as there are aftermarket radius rods available that address this.
                        And again, personal preference, If I could have any combo I wanted,
                        it would be the 300 straight 6 and a ZF-6 speed manual transmission.
                        That would be sweet and smooth. Probably be at least 1/2 way decent
                        on a hill with a trailer having all those gears. By half way decent, I mean
                        45 mph would suit me just fine. Simple is good. That's why I have two
                        1953 International trucks. Points, coil, an GM alternator. and a battery.
                        That's it. No emissions, no computerized seat control. Basic and reliable.

-Doozer
                        DZER

Comment

I have a 2007 Chevy Silverado Z71 crew cab LTZ. It has all the bells and whistles from heated seats to remote start. On a good day it will get 15 mpg, and rides like a log wagon without a load in the the too short bed. But it looks macho. I drove an 85 ElCamino for 30 years, and it was a swell truck. Not heavy enough to haul a loaded trailer but great for the occasional trip to the yard and garden center. It had the 4.3L throttle body injected engine, and got a steady 20 mpg. I also had a 74 Blazer that did all my heavy work until its doors finally fell apart from rust. That's when I traded up to the macho pos.
                          “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                            I had a F-100 with the Twin-I-Beam, and it rode great and no problems.
                            But I do like the simplicity of the '64 and earlier Fords with the regular
                            plain I-beam axle for simplicity. Just depends what you want.
                            If I still had my Twin I Beam F-100, I would double the length of the radius
                            rods for better bump steer geometry. It seems it is not exclusively my idea
                            as there are aftermarket radius rods available that address this.
                            And again, personal preference, If I could have any combo I wanted,
                            it would be the 300 straight 6 and a ZF-6 speed manual transmission.
                            That would be sweet and smooth. Probably be at least 1/2 way decent
                            on a hill with a trailer having all those gears. By half way decent, I mean
                            45 mph would suit me just fine. Simple is good. That's why I have two
                            1953 International trucks. Points, coil, an GM alternator. and a battery.
                            That's it. No emissions, no computerized seat control. Basic and reliable.

-Doozer
                            I had a 96 F150 with that combo, shoulda kept it.
                            25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

I have two, one for fun and one for work.

Name:	P1010289.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	1948013
                              58 years old

Name:	P1000728.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	1948014
                              53 years old.
                              It's all mind over matter.
                              If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by George Bulliss View Post

My gas gauge quit working about 20 years ago and is on the long list of repairs needed. I don't drive it much, so listening for the sound of the sloshing in the tank to estimate works, though my ears are getting to the point where that's not as reliable. Probably easier to fix the gauge than my ears at this point.
                                Drop a golf ball in the tank, you won't need to fix the gauge.

It's all mind over matter.
                                If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

Working...
                                X