X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kendall
    replied
    Originally posted by OaklandGB View Post
    My Ram 1500 is the 7th one I've had. Wouldn't trade a pick up for any other vehicle.

Maybe this would be ideal in my mind. Simple, easy to work on, basic truck.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	F100 1965.JPG
Views:	418
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	1947558
    I had a 64 F350 flatbed, with the big semi style axles and wheels on it, only vehicle I ever had that I called a service to change a flat. It was an ex highway department truck and was bright orange. We called it 'big ugly'

Not mine, but picture it in bright safety orange:

https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...f350/101524718

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    If it does not result in warranty claims, and is not a safety issue that will result in publicity and court costs, it does not get dealt with.* If it DOES, it gets attention. Warranty claims cost plenty per each. Often equal to 10,000 tomes the cost saving per part.

And, that warranty claim "test" is actually a decent way of filtering out non-essentials.

* There have been some lessons..... the car with the gas tank problem in rear end collisions was assumed to cost more to fix than the lawsuits would cost. That was not correct, as it turned out.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 06-20-2021, 07:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• David Powell
    replied
    Do the clowns who deliberately wreck good vehicles to make videos not realise that the manufacturers have already done far more testing than their primitive moronic efforts
    Manufacturers can predict, with startling accuracy, for instance ,how many times a door can be slammed before the weakest link becomes deranged.
    I watched from the sidelines while testing of a sliding roof mechanism and its controls were carried out. It was opened and closed hund thousands of time or maybe hundreds of thousands of times, Sometimes to test the built in safeties, all sorts of things were done to see what would happen, eg hot coffee poured into the control in the console.
    I am also aware of the efforts manufacturers use to try to cut costs, and maximise profits but that is a whole other story.
    Regards David Powell.

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    Yeah, I know that big boys require big trucks but some of the ones I come up against leave something to be desired.

Leave a comment:

• plunger
    replied
    Originally posted by Willy View Post

I wouldn't be surprised that most folks did not watch the entire series of Hilux torture videos that were linked to. Let's face it most will simply watch about 5 min. and then move on.
    But for those that did it was a pretty impressive display of the diesel Hilux's toughness! I was blown away with the abuse that the Toyota endured while coming back for more without displaying any mechanical faults. I don't think anything I've driven would be able to keep up with that Toyota. She's one tough cookie.

While I don't necessarily condone nor like watching those that destroy a good piece of running iron this is the internet and there's no place like Youtube to display a niche fetish to those that do, than on YT. The guy doing the video, like him or not, obviously has some serious coin and a very large following so I won't begrudge him for filling a niche market to those that need this type of fulfillment and entertainment.

Destroying trucks is what he does and by taking a quick look at his video portfolio he's pretty good at it and quite cold in his lack of any sort of mechanical attachment to what he has wrecked.
    However one line he spoke stuck with me. In the last video I think, he said that this was the first vehicle that he had destroyed that he felt sad about. When a professional serial truck killer shows some kind of remorse for taking the "life" from a his latest victim it tells me that this was indeed a very worthy opponent!

Well done Toyota, build one like that again and I will come knocking at your door with a fist full of dollars. Okay maybe a pre-approved loan agreement.
    Hell I couldnt even watch all of them ,just some of the bits. I also struggle to watch a perfectly good vehicle get destroyed. Ive worked too hard for that. It must cost a serious amount to make his youtube videos.

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    Originally posted by plunger View Post
    I dont think Steve has looked at the videos.Top gear also did a series about the hiluxes legendary toughness.
    I wouldn't be surprised that most folks did not watch the entire series of Hilux torture videos that were linked to. Let's face it most will simply watch about 5 min. and then move on.
    But for those that did it was a pretty impressive display of the diesel Hilux's toughness! I was blown away with the abuse that the Toyota endured while coming back for more without displaying any mechanical faults. I don't think anything I've driven would be able to keep up with that Toyota. She's one tough cookie.

While I don't necessarily condone nor like watching those that destroy a good piece of running iron this is the internet and there's no place like Youtube to display a niche fetish to those that do, than on YT. The guy doing the video, like him or not, obviously has some serious coin and a very large following so I won't begrudge him for filling a niche market to those that need this type of fulfillment and entertainment.

Destroying trucks is what he does and by taking a quick look at his video portfolio he's pretty good at it and quite cold in his lack of any sort of mechanical attachment to what he has wrecked.
    However one line he spoke stuck with me. In the last video I think, he said that this was the first vehicle that he had destroyed that he felt sad about. When a professional serial truck killer shows some kind of remorse for taking the "life" from a his latest victim it tells me that this was indeed a very worthy opponent!

Well done Toyota, build one like that again and I will come knocking at your door with a fist full of dollars. Okay maybe a pre-approved loan agreement.

Leave a comment:

• George Bulliss
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Edwards View Post

When I was a kid, my dad had a green 66. I can still remember riding in it and hearing the gas slosh around in the tank behind the seat. I would love to get a 66 one of these days, but I already have a F250 for work and a Ranger for a daily driver.
    My gas gauge quit working about 20 years ago and is on the long list of repairs needed. I don't drive it much, so listening for the sound of the sloshing in the tank to estimate works, though my ears are getting to the point where that's not as reliable. Probably easier to fix the gauge than my ears at this point.

Leave a comment:

• David Powell
    replied
    I bought my daughter a 2006 Silverado 4 wd 6.5 bed, ext cab truck to help her renovate her house, She kept the truck till last fall, bought herself a 4 door new one and gave me the 2006.( With 200,000 on the clock)
    It barely fits in our driveway and I can only see the edges of my utility trailer in the mirrors,
    However, incredibly it gets as good gas mileage as my GMC jimmy.
    It is not as fast or as willing a runner as the 1989 3/4 tonner regular cab GMC I had for a few years,
    Nowadays here if you go more than 50Km over any limit and get caught you are really in it deep, since my one and only ticket in 2001 I have become a very slow driver ! and I get very good gas mileage,
    I had a 2008 Ford Ranger totalled on me by a woman in a Hyundai, if she had rear ended this I would have had to repaint the bumper!
    Truck and trailer usually sit loaded ready to go to steam shows etc, sometimes sit for a couple of weeks at a time. For daily use I drive my 1964 Rambler .
    Given that almost all travel is for pleasure I simply do not worry about economy, but I usually fill up the gas tank when gas is cheap, saves enough for a donut and coffee!
    I like big pick up trucks.
    Regards David Powell.

Leave a comment:

• plunger
    replied
    I dont think Steve has looked at the videos.Top gear also did a series about the hiluxes legendary toughness.

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    Originally posted by SteveF View Post

Let's see a H iLux do that!!!

Steve

I have not heard that the Hi Lux is prone to aquaplane.

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Hrm, I just checked the dodge ram fleet sales, liked what I saw until I got to the built-in infotainment center with steering wheel controls. Would like all that BS deleted. Was pricing a 2021 ram 1500 tradesman with the 3.0L diesel, block heater, 2wd with no-spin rear axle and no other options. 40k $$$. Nope. Hard pass. That's 2x more than I paid for my house... and the house ain't appreciated that much!

There's a local dealer that'll build what you want, he does muscle cars and classics etc. I'll probably go to him and tell him to get me a cherry 1982 Suburban with the 6.2 diesel.
    Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 06-19-2021, 08:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Originally posted by paul463 View Post

A dealer with a fleet sales department is what you seek.
    Maybe -- but my employer got the silverado work trucks and they still had power ass scratchers. And for what we do (heavy mechanics) the front axle is as delicate as a lady's ankle.

I'm strongly considering Dodge ram trucks next time round (live solid axle front), and yes, thank you, I will definitely check out the fleet sales.

Leave a comment:

• SteveF
    replied
    Originally posted by plunger View Post
    Yes but none of your trucks are as tuff as a toyota hilux
    Recently sold my 99 F150 XLT. One day the wife hydroplaned going down a hill and hit a car in the rear. Made a fair dent in bumper so I replaced it for maybe $300. A short while later the insurance bill shows up and my rates had gone up a good bit. So I called the ins company wondering how the rates went up so much. She says "Let me check the records". "Oh, we had to total the other car and paid out $11,000 in damages." Me: "But there was only a little dent on my truck". She says "Oh, that's normal. Pickups are so strong that it's common for the truck to have little damage and major damage to whatever got hit".

Let's see a H iLux do that!!!

Steve

Leave a comment:

• paul463
    replied
    Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
    Frankly I haven't liked *any* of them since GM did away with the square-body work trucks. Just try buying a work truck nowadays. One with manual everything, rubber floor mat. For less than the cost of a house. On a workman's wages. "Earth to Detroit: some of us actually *use* our trucks and it ain't for a status symbol!"

.... marketing shysters need to go die in a compost heap fire, right alongside their Wall St. buddies.

A dealer with a fleet sales department is what you seek.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
    Frankly I haven't liked *any* of them since GM did away with the square-body work trucks. Just try buying a work truck nowadays. One with manual everything, rubber floor mat. For less than the cost of a house. On a workman's wages. "Earth to Detroit: some of us actually *use* our trucks and it ain't for a status symbol!"

.... marketing shysters need to go die in a compost heap fire, right alongside their Wall St. buddies.
    Work trucks..... yeah.

But, the base level Ranger comes with rubber floor mats, or at least mine did. and 1860 lb carry.

Lotta yuppie trucks around.... "crew" cab, and a 4 foot trunk.... (it's not a "truck bed"). Some come equipped with a frame to hold your groceries and keep them from sliding forward... seen them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X