Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Engelhardt
    replied
    A wire around the trunk will "girdle" it. Until the tree grows around it, the cable will be cutting off the circulation where it is against the trunk. Bad!

What you really want/need to do is have bolts to attach the cables to. Through bolts if the trunks aren't too big, even then all-thread would be better than lag bolts. Lag bolts would be hard to size, for gripping strength. I'm sure that Google will tell you all you need to know about "cabling trees", YouTube, too.

Leave a comment:

• deltap
    replied
    Use a 2" wide cargo strap that has it's own ratchet built in.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    No papers as an arborist, but have been trimming trees a long time. BC is correct, the cable will be huried in a short time, maybe as soon as a year or two, depending on growth ring thickness and cable size.

You want padding, PLUS a piece of steel to spread the force. Even then it probably will be grown around in time, depending on where the tree is in its lifetime.

As for trimming, with a split tree, or a tree having multiple trunks, cutting one back may have "interesting" results. The tree will be unbalanced, possibly vulnerable to uprooting f the wind is in the direction to push over the heavy or larger side.

I like the even trimming idea. Problem is, it sounds as if that would almost have to amount to "topping", which damages the tree, makes it more dangerous later, and looks ugly for quite a while. I hate "topping" with a passion.

Trees in bad places do sometimes need to be cut down. No idea here. Maybe a couple pics from angles showing the situation?

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    I'm no arborist but I've seen what happens when something like a cable or hard wire is tensioned against a growing tree. Over the course of surprisingly few years the cable cuts in and the tree grows around it. And good luck with making any adjustments after that happens. If you go with this route it will require some significant pressure spreading pads that can only curve in the one direction. Something like bands of heavy conveyor belting.

What about simply pruning the tree so the major side trunk threatening the house is removed? And at the same time cut back the outer growth of the other trunks/limbs so when the tree recovers and grows back in from the prune it is still reasonably shapely.

Leave a comment:

• rws
    started a topic OT-Maybe_ tensioning a cable

OT-Maybe_ tensioning a cable

I have a maple tree that has several trunks that extend from a single base trunk. The way the tree is situated, one of the trunks lean toward our house. I want to cable all of the "trunks" together, so if a t-storm should create enough turbulence I don't want the close section splitting off toward the house.

I want to cable the whole thing together, wrap a cable around all the trunks, so if one goes, they all go. To my fortune, the biggest/heaviest leans away from the house.

So if I loop a cable in the order of a 3/8" around them all, how can I grab the cable al pull slack out of it before cable clamping it together? With fencing wire, I simply grab the wire with vise grips, and I have one that I welded a section of steel pipe on the nut, and use a come-along to pull tension before nailing it off. But grabbing a stranded cable with vise-grips would smash it and maybe loose some integrity.

I could put a loop in each end and use a turnbuckle, and hope I can get enough slack out before the turnbuckle runs out of thread. Just lapping each over each other and pulling slack with a come-along seems easier. But how would I grab the cable?
Working...
X