Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scroll Through the Banner Ads on This BB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scroll Through the Banner Ads on This BB?

OK, perhaps I am strange, but sometimes I see an ad at the top of the BB page that I really want to read. And it goes away. I wait, but it does not appear again. One or two other ads will pop up two or even three times but still not the one I wanted to see.

Is there any way to scroll to an ad that has already gone by?
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Nope, no way to scroll. There is a JavaScript program that randomly rotates through a list of links and photos. Right now it's set to change ads every 20 seconds, though I could change that.
    George
    Traverse City, MI

Comment

George Bulliss I have no dog in this but a possible suggestion... Would it be possible to add a link beside the ad bar to link to a simple list of links to advertisers? This would serve double purpose, first it would allow forum users access to advertisers web sites like the OP was asking for and second it should please the advertisers by allowing better access. Just a free thought.....
      Robin

Happily working on my second million Gave up on the first

Comment

Originally posted by rdfeil View Post
        George Bulliss I have no dog in this but a possible suggestion... Would it be possible to add a link beside the ad bar to link to a simple list of links to advertisers? This would serve double purpose, first it would allow forum users access to advertisers web sites like the OP was asking for and second it should please the advertisers by allowing better access. Just a free thought.....
        Thanks for the suggestion. That's a good on and, as you mentioned, I'm sure the advertisers would be very happy to have it.

Unfortunately, the BBS software is extremely limited in what you can place up there. They have "modules" in which you can place the HTML for ads, but since the site is hosted on vBulletin's server, we do not have option of modifying the pages. I did take a look just now to see if anything had change in one of the updates, but there is still no room to toss a link up there.
        George
        Traverse City, MI

Comment

Originally posted by George Bulliss View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. That's a good on and, as you mentioned, I'm sure the advertisers would be very happy to have it.

Unfortunately, the BBS software is extremely limited in what you can place up there. They have "modules" in which you can place the HTML for ads, but since the site is hosted on vBulletin's server, we do not have option of modifying the pages. I did take a look just now to see if anything had change in one of the updates, but there is still no room to toss a link up there.
          George --
          -- just to offer an example:
          I dunno how they do it, but "DIYaudio" has implemented something like a sub-forum for the advertisers to interact directly with the site users. Pretty sure they are using the same BBS software that you're using. They currently have ~1700 users online. Total members is ~520,000 with 356,000 threads and 6,6 million posts. One sub-forum called "Commercial sector" is for people to arrange "group buys" with the vendors, and the adjacent sub-forum is simply called "advertisers". Their site is about building hard-core hi-fi stereos as a hobby.
          Link: https://www.diyaudio.com/
          Scroll down the column on the left of the screen. Actually, check out the whole thing
          I'm pretty sure the advertisers would love to have greater access like this,
          and site users would love to get deals through group buys for tooling and material.
          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

George --

Scroll down the column on the left of the screen. Actually, check out the whole thing
            I'm pretty sure the advertisers would love to have greater access like this,
            and site users would love to get deals through group buys for tooling and material.
            Thanks, I'll check it out when I have time.

George
            Traverse City, MI

Comment

Oh well, it turned out much as I expected. But it was worth a shot.

Perhaps I will post a suggestion on vBulletin's web site.
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
              You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by George Bulliss View Post

I like the idea of a list of advertisers.

On the top of the General page in the Forums there is a "Sticky" that opens to a list of really good stuff. Can a link be added there that takes us to a page full of advertisers? Would it be possible to update that Sticky link from time to time as advertisers change? Then, while what Paul is suggesting might not be right under our noses, but it would only be a couple of clicks away.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_d View Post

On the top of the General page in the Forums there is a "Sticky" that opens to a list of really good stuff. Can a link be added there that takes us to a page full of advertisers? Would it be possible to update that Sticky link from time to time as advertisers change? Then, while what Paul is suggesting might not be right under our noses, but it would only be a couple of clicks away.
                  I like this as an option! Either a sticky with links or a sub-forum. I think the sticky makes more sense and would be easier to edit as advertisers come and go.
                  Robin

Happily working on my second million Gave up on the first

Comment

Check the post I added to the "favorite threads" sticky. I was surprised that I could add content. There may be more advertisers, but those were all I found.
                    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Thanks Paul, I was thinking that a sticky would be the best way to handle it. I'll look at perhaps making it a stand alone sticky. Often I'll toss in new banners that are for time limited sales, as I just did for a new Grizzly sale that runs until July 1. Not so sure I'll be able to keep up on adding and removing those every time, but I can at least leave a link to the advertiser's site and any specials will likely show when you visit.
                      George
                      Traverse City, MI

Comment

I think this will be a win-win for everyone. Great idea!
                        Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by tom_d View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tossed a sticky at the top of the page and will keep it updated as advertisers come and go.
                          George
                          Traverse City, MI

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                            Check the post I added to the "favorite threads" sticky. I was surprised that I could add content. There may be more advertisers, but those were all I found.
                            I've left the "favorite threads" sticky open in hopes of people posting suggestions. So, if you have any ideas for threads that should be linked to, make a suggestion in the favorites thread and I'll move the link into the list. I view just about every post that goes through this board, but I'm not always paying attention to the actual subjects. It would be better if the links reflected the member's favorites, rather than mine.
                            George
                            Traverse City, MI

Comment

Very nice. I never realized we had all those resources here.
                              Kansas City area

Comment

Working...
                              X